Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I know I know, it is really hard to assess value of an item without pictures, but I don't have any of this rifle unfortunately. I can just go off of relaying what I saw during my inspection. So here goes:

I was connected to a gentleman through a friend at work who has a K98 Mauser for sale. I have been looking one for some time so I met with the gentleman at my coworker's home. The rifle is a CE41 rifle which was a bringback from his father who served up until the capture of Berlin. He had many photos of his father, along with some other non-firearm trophies his father had brought home, to verify the origin of the rifle. The K98 is accompanied by an unnumbered bayonet with black plastic grips (I am not well-versed in bayonets).
There are no capture or import marks. The K98 is 100% matching down to the action screws, bolt assembly and stock. It is missing its sight hood but has the cleaning rod. Metal finish is very light (about 60-70%) with no rusting or pitting. Wood condition is decent with all original finish but plenty of nicks and dings - no duffel cuts at all. It is matching in SN with eagle H proofs. Bore is relatively clean with little to no pitting and has a decent amount of shine (maybe 90% overall condition).

He is wanting $1,500.00 for the rifle and is fairly firm (he has family attachment to it). I am guessing he will come down maybe a couple hundred if that.

What are your thoughts? And again, I know this is difficult without pictures, but as I don't know the guy too well, I don't want to take 30 pics of his rifle. Just want a general opinion.
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
if he wants 1500 he should realize that a potential buyer would want to photograph it to help verify its authenticity and orginality. So far much of your description is story; there are to many fakes out there with these type of stories attached to them so it would not be wise to go forward without photographs.

It should also be noted Not all 98ks were fitted with sight hoods.. is the front sight cut out for one?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Again, I understand this is difficult without photos, but just humor me. I have been collecting firearms for long enough to be able to detect fakes, I am more interested in understanding if an authentic, non import or duffel cut and all matching CE41 in overall roughly 70-80% is something I should explore further, or run away from at the price of $1500.
The front post is cut for a hood.
Thanks again for all your help and knowledge my friends.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
if he wants 1500 he should realize that a potential buyer would want to photograph it to help verify its authenticity and orginality. So far much of your description is story; there are to many fakes out there with these type of stories attached to them so it would not be wise to go forward without photographs.

It should also be noted Not all 98ks were fitted with sight hoods.. is the front sight cut out for one?
A 41 will have a sight hood.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
First off, I know I know, it is really hard to assess value of an item without pictures, but I don't have any of this rifle unfortunately. I can just go off of relaying what I saw during my inspection. So here goes:

I was connected to a gentleman through a friend at work who has a K98 Mauser for sale. I have been looking one for some time so I met with the gentleman at my coworker's home. The rifle is a CE41 rifle which was a bringback from his father who served up until the capture of Berlin. He had many photos of his father, along with some other non-firearm trophies his father had brought home, to verify the origin of the rifle. The K98 is accompanied by an unnumbered bayonet with black plastic grips (I am not well-versed in bayonets).
There are no capture or import marks. The K98 is 100% matching down to the action screws, bolt assembly and stock. It is missing its sight hood but has the cleaning rod. Metal finish is very light (about 60-70%) with no rusting or pitting. Wood condition is decent with all original finish but plenty of nicks and dings - no duffel cuts at all. It is matching in SN with eagle H proofs. Bore is relatively clean with little to no pitting and has a decent amount of shine (maybe 90% overall condition).

He is wanting $1,500.00 for the rifle and is fairly firm (he has family attachment to it). I am guessing he will come down maybe a couple hundred if that.

What are your thoughts? And again, I know this is difficult without pictures, but as I don't know the guy too well, I don't want to take 30 pics of his rifle. Just want a general opinion.
Thanks for any help!
What were the other trophies? It's probably legit but you should verse yourself a little first before taking the plunge. Start looking at serial numbers on ce rifles til you can tell if this ones good. Look on the k98k forum pic reference thread.

·
Registered
977 Posts
A bayonet without a serial number could be a police bayonet. Check the spine for an eagle over mark. The bayonet could add some value to the deal depending on its condition and if its correct.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all your input, gentlemen. I will definitely explore this one further. I will get some more answers to my questions and hopefully some photos.

Milsurp: other trophies included a very warn Nazi Party flag, a lighter, and a decorative party ribbon. He was said to be part of the occupying force in Berlin. They occupied a small villa town where party leaders were said to have lived. From that area he has a fragment of bullet-proof glass that was shot out of an armored car with a .50bmg, as well as a piece of marble staircase from one of the villas, as well as a key. Finally, he had a very warn pocket vanity that had party crests and emblems on it.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,565 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts