Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this for sale at my local gun store. It's a Type 38 Arisaka 6.5, nice bluing probably 85%, good dark bore, intact mum, non-import, very nice stock. I don't think it's matching, and they have it listed as "non firing/display only" but honestly the bolt works as it should, it clicked loudly when i pulled the trigger, and the bore has no obstructions, so i'm guessing it should fire and they put that for liability purposes? Here's some pics I snapped, the rifle is $200, which seems like a nice deal for something with an intact mum. Let me know what you think.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Looks like a school rifle. If so, could be bored out smoothbore, for firing blanks. Can't tell from the pictures, but it would have to be really slick, to be worth $200.00. Especially missing the dust cover. IMHO:)

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
I doubt any T-38 school surplus rifles were ever smoothbored. The T-30 rifle blank conversions are the only rifles I know that has been smoothed out, and they have their receiver top markings scrubbed off and remarked as "blank gun".
The overstamp on the mum is the Tokyo arsenal mark, meant to be a cancellation mark showing the rifle has been decomissioned from official military use. $200 not that bad for the gun as long as the bore is ok and the receiver / barrel is sound (no holes or cracks). I would suggest you make sure of that before you make the purchase. Also check if the striker tip is intact.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Sorry phatrick. Got my info mixed-up. Pay no attention to that man behind the keyboard.:eek:

·
Gold Bullet member
11,758 Posts
I don't know if $200 is a good deal or not, but I'll bet in a few short years it will seem like a great deal.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,575 Posts
phatrick88,

Truth in advertising - I am partial to Type 38s. I think the Tokyo/Kokura overstamp on the mum is a neat variation. I also see it has a cleaning rod sticking out of the end. I think $200 is fair price. I'd offer less and take it from there. bones92 has a great point. Final thought - if this is your only T38 and don't want to expand, keep the $200 and look for a better variant. If you intend to collect them, then I think it would be a nice addtional.

Best Regards, Shannon

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just told that it is listed as 'non-firing/display only' because the owner who put it on consignment wasn't confident that it could be fired safely. He said there are no defects or changes to the gun to make it unsafe. With that said, how's $200 sound now?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,575 Posts
phatrick88,

Is the stock finish original? It appears so. A quick way to tell is to look for inspection marks between the toe and grip of the stock forward of the sling swivel. Did you check the bolt number against the numbers on floor plate, bayonet lug or the top side of the bolt release (when pulled out)? Matching is always a big plus. Type 38 are a tough call - they do not bring the money that an equivelent T99 brings. Again, it's a personal call. For me - I think $200 is fair, not a great deal, but fair. Offer $150 and hope to get if for $175 out the door. I hate to look at rifle as parts, but the cleaning rod is worth $50 alone.

Milsurp collector - if the DC matches that was a great price for the Type 38 - but again I am partial.

Best regards, Shannon

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
It depends on overall condition obviously, but if it's in great shape and everything matches down to the dust cover, $225 is an absloute steal !

As for the school gun that phatrick is looking at, it is indeed a $150 rifle (most likely mismatched, have never seen a full matched surplsed gun), and $200 on the upper end. As Shannon says, try for $175 out.

·
Gold Bullet member
625 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well this afternoon I had my mind made up that I wanted it, went over to the shop, but after hee hawing over it for fifteen minutes or so I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It's on consignment, so i'm going to call the shop and see if they'll contact the seller to make a counter offer of $150. I think that's the most i'll pay for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don,t buy junk

Years ago a very advanced collector told me ,There are thousands of firearms, Millions .Don,t buy junk. Save your money and buy the very best and over a period of years you will have a fine collection. Buy just because it there and you lose.When it comes to military weapons there are no rare items. They are only rare because you have not seen one. Search and some day a real beauty will appear, if you bought junk you won,t have the money and it will be gone. That man was Armon Hammer. COBRA

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
sounds like you got some bum advice! there are many rare military weapons. and you can buy good stuff, and still not have money for the next good firearm that comes along. i totally agree with buying the best you can afford!

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
A newby gotta start with something, but can't start with a knock-out beauty arsenal mint Type 2 or something at $3,000. The usual first rifle (or Arisaka) is a $150 to $200 common piece, and there on you study and work up. We all "learn" through time and experience to be patient and go for the best ones available. I bet Armon Hammer, whoever he was, started his collection buying a junker for $15 or whatever was equivalent to $150 back then.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
"When it comes to military weapons there are no rare items. They are only rare because you have not seen one."

Baloney, there are some really rare items; many in the realm of Japanese collecting.

Buy what you like, JMHO.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd save my money for a "rainy day".:p jk... Really if I were you, I would just wait on that one.... save the money until the right moment comes. Once you have enough money saved up, you will be suprised to find many 'deals' out there. Patience its a must when it comes to collecting. You don't want to waste your bucks on a cheap rifle that you may not be certain about, ie. if you are looking for a shooter Type 38, then a trainer is not for you, unless you hang guns on a wall. There are many Type 38s out there that aren't trainers. IMO Trainers aren't safe to fire in any form. Blank or live. I have one of these rifles as an 'extra' to my collection, since they deserve to be recognized in WWII Japanese firearms history. Its a very old Arisaka T38 6.5mm military rifle abt. 1908 by its serial number mid 4000s, still has its Koshikawa arsenal stamp, and defaced mum, turned to trainer during WWII. I got it for $120.00 two years ago. I'm never planning to fire it though. Hope this helps. ;)

Best Regards,
-zfox44

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rare Jap guns???

03 man, I see that you have been one of the people who have run the price of JAP weapons up to a point where the new collectors can never have a complete collection because of the inflated prices today, pushed by people like you who put out in little books on how rare these arms might be. There are some rare Jap weapons only because they were not produced in vast numbers as other countries. Over the years the JAP weapons have been considered as junk,yes, they killed hundred of our boys but they are still JUNK. I have a large lot of Jap junk and yes I never paid over $35 for any one. They are still out there at reasonable prices.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.