Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a text today from a local dealer asking if I'd be interested in buying two Swiss rifles he got in an estate sale. I know next to nothing about Swiss rifles so I thought I'd ask for some help. Both rifles are missing the bolt and mag, he said both can be found on Gunbrooker but I thought I'd ask here first if this is something I should even consider. He believes one is a 1896/11 and the other is a sporterized 1889. These are the best pictures he sent me.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,128 Posts
You should look at prices for bolts and magazines if you are panning to shoot them.
I believe both are expensive compared to many rifles.
Then you can decide if they are worth it.
Gary

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be looking them over Saturday. In the meantime I'll be doing some reasurch. I guess the first question I have is, what models are these? Second, how plug and play are the bolts for these rifles?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
#424218 was a 1911 infantry rifle (IG11) before extensive post-service alteration, probably in the 1960's by a commercial organization for the U.S. market. The barrel looks like it was shortened at breech and muzzle and is likely now chambered for the .308 Win. cartridge. Image here compares original and .308-altered 1911's.

Note difference in distance from rear sight to receiver.

#215618 appears to be most of a 96/11 in original configuration. Made in 1897, it qualifies as antique under U.S. law - exempt from federal restrictions on shipment and sale.

Both rifles take the same bolt and magazine assemblies, unlikely to be readily available at reasonable cost. If found, correct parts will probably fit and function in either. (Gunbroker currently lists bolts for model 1889, which will not fit these rifles.)

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
bolts and magazines are next to impossible to find. There was a chap looking for the magazine on the want board for a couple of months now.

sported rifle has been drilled.

They are worth more as parts for other rifles, folks want complete stock sets, action screws, trigger parts, etc.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
With a drilled receiver and the bits to get them up to scratch, is it going to be worth it - doubtful.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,279 Posts
Not the best way of getting into the world of Swiss long arms, IMO. Magazines, when you could find them, were around $100 -120 each - four or five years ago. Bolts, again, when they were around, a good deal more, and of course, you'd end up with non-matching guns in a world where 99.999% of Swiss long arms come all-matching, even the magazines.

If you've a yen for a Swiss long arm, then right now people are still getting good deals from Simpsons, who, if a trifle on the high side, at least have them to hand.

Ammunition, OTOH, seems to be an ever-increasing problem for most.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes walk away, I can get a 1896/11 for about £300-£350 in the UK, and as another contributor mentoined, I have never seen a complete bolt/Magazine for sale.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would walk from these, unless you can get them for $50.00 each. The missing bolt is the deal breaker, magazines are $400.00 each if you find them.
I started with a sporterized example like you show, only with a bolt. Parashooter was a great help in getting it back into shooting condition. But, it takes time and work. Swissproductsusa has a scope mount the fit that rifle, I bought one for mine and it is great.

Ken

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ditto to all of the above. Unless you want some kind of a truck gun, that’s about the only condition I’d buy the sporter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been looking, I figured the bolts would be spendy but I had no idea the magazines would be so expensive as well. The dealer offered me both rifles for $350, I told him I might be interested but not so much anymore. Thank you everyone for your help.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,279 Posts
As noted above, THE definitive source for all Swiss accessories is Swiss Products over the in Kalispell MT. Tell 'em we sent you.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,222 Posts
I have purposefully wondered down that rabbit hole on occasion in the past. My suggestion, if you want to get a Swiss rifle, Long Guns - Military Rifles - Page 1 - United States. They will go get the rifle you are interested in and discuss it on the phone. They don't sell junk. Those both look like huge losers.

Then if you want to tinker and pretty it up with all kinds of stuff, the Swiss Products route is the best option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My collection interests are bolt action rifles used in ww2 by nations who fought in ww2. These rifles wouldn't fit into my collection but I figured if I could have them cheap enough and complete, I could use them then sell them down the road. It doesn't look like that's going to be the case at this point in time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agreed 100%, not worth it. Slightly off topic... Stopped at the local Goodwill couple of weeks ago and bought one of those plastic tubs filled with loose stuff like old tools, fishing lures, nails, screws and so on. Those two were mixed in. $7.99 for the whole tub.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Agreed 100%, not worth it. Slightly off topic... Stopped at the local Goodwill couple of weeks ago and bought one of those plastic tubs filled with loose stuff like old tools, fishing lures, nails, screws and so on. Those two were mixed in. $7.99 for the whole tub.
That is remarkable! And, almost certainly, you would be the only person in the area that would know what they were for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
K31 from Simpsons would be the way to go if you want to get into swiss rifles. Most of them will be good shooters. Then St.Marie clamp on mount topped with an El Paso K4-60B scope. That's how it all started many years ago. Hit every Big5 in town on certain days, come out with two or three k31s, pick up a black case of GP11 and off into the woods to try them out. Good old days..... Not sure what is ammo situation where you are , but around here you'd be lucky to find a box of 12ga birdshot on a shelf. Strange times indeed.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
"Should I buy" these Swiss rifles. That's the wrong preface. It should be "Baby, I'm buying" these Swiss rifles.
Let us know how that works out for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts