Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Big 5 store in my area has a Steyr M95 8 x 56R rifle for 75 dollars. Assuming the rifle is in good condition, do you think this will be a good purchase? Also, can somebody please explain what a straight pull bolt action is? I'm unfamiliar with these rifles.

Thanks

·
Administrator
12,075 Posts
Straight pull = you pull back straight without turning the bolt handle. The bolt head with its locking lugs rotates within the bolt as in AK-47, M1 Garand, etc.

As for the price, you can't get a decent dinner for $75 nowadays - and then you don't remember it three months later. Any functional rifle is worth $75.

Oh, one more thing - the rifle in question is not Hungarian, but Austro-Hungarian and its proper name is Mannlicher M.95 after the designer.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
$75 for one in good condition is a good deal. It is about the lower price range for these.

One thing to think on is that the ammo is a little pricey and hard to find. Last gun show I went to had 1 guy selling it at $8 a box (10 rounds on 2 clips). And you need the clips to fire more than 1 round without reloading. So see if they have a clip or two they can throw into the deal or get some ammo still on clips. I think there are some online retailers still selling it too.

A strait pull action means that instead of pulling the bolt handle up and then back (and then reversing the move) you just pull the bolt strait back and then push it strait forward.

Two things to check: One, make sure it has a nice bore. Two, take the bolt out of the rifle (push the trigger forward to do this) and make sure the extractor is not worn too much. If it is really worn the bolt head will snap back into the retracted position as soon as it is removed from the receiver or with a very little tap. I'm not sure what effect this will have on the rifle other than to make the bolt stiff but it might mean it is closer to wearing out completely or breaking.

·
Administrator
12,075 Posts
Careful...., once you have one they tend to breed rapidly and you wind up with a closet full. :eek:
And then you have to use the floor:

:D :D :D

·
Copper Bullet member
149 Posts
I went down to my local Big 5 last week to look at them. I was hoping they were garbage cause the safe is stuffed as it is.
The kid brought out 3 for me to look at. They were all fresh re-arsenals that looked new and marked Budapest. Extremely nice and the wood was very impressive. I picked a lighter wood with a really nice grain and some burl in the butt.

Of course living in Cali I still have a week before I can bring it home.
-greg

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
A lot of them do have amazing wood and variations. Post some pics after you get to bring it home.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I went into Big 5 on Saturday because I'd run out of Hoppe's #9; Big 5 was out too, so I decided to take a look at the M95s. I thought by now we'd be seeing the bottom of the barrel, but I found a Steyr-built stutzen with a '34 barrel and really nice wood... $125 OTD including the bayonet (and $14 for the stinkin' trigger lock). Haven't figured out how to tell the wife, but at least the great state of California gives me 10 days to figure that out.

-Devo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Whoa Nick,
That's a serious collection mate.

Even if I buy every Greek MS that I come across in Oz for the rest of my life, I don't think I'll end up with that many.

I might have to buy a M95 just to build up numbers, although I was hoping to find a M95M (but I haven't seen a single one of these for sale in Australia as yet). Decent Kar98K's are particularly scarce and quite pricey (only found one decent one in the last 6 months and I foolishly didn't go hard enough on the bidding)

George

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Nick -

Super collection!! I don't believe I have that many, and you're probably the reason why! :D

Now..., do they go back in the closet or do you have a nice static display??

I prefer the closet cause then I forget an it's like getting something new all over when I rediscover it.

- Best Regards! Mike

·
Administrator
12,075 Posts
Oh, no! No "floor displays". I was adding more accessories to my Bulgarian soldier and decided to do my version of ikebana :D (my wife does it for real :eek:). Normally the guns stay arranged in racks like this one (I make them):

·
Registered
15 Posts
Almost got one at Big5 also last week. The ammo seemed harder to find and a bit more pricey. The gun looked in good shape, and like the others mentioned... for 75 bucks...why not.

Now you have me thinking about getting it anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
12,075 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts