Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, this won't last...!
Well, may as well kick it off...

Anyone else doing this now? The change in milsurp ammo prices has me turning a bit more to reloading and shooting my .22 Mossberg 151K alot more. As far as the latter goes, I've found that WalMart has the best prices around on ammo. I'm headed there tomorrow with my kids to get a couple of boxes of ammo, so that will put me about 1,100 rounds ahead.

With more and more rabbits appearing on my property, I think the hawks, coyotes, bobcats and owls might be a bit 'overtasked!' Time to enjoy the .22 and look up some good rabbit recipes...

Poot

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not a problem to me

I bought enough ammo to leave an inheritance to my kid, and I don't shoot all that much. If I run out, I've got a RCBS and a Rockchucker, and Dillon if I get back into shooting a lot pistol ammo.

On the other hand, another board member an I got together for a shoot a month or so ago, and after lots of rounds of 7.62X54R and 8mm, shooting 22s was a rather pleasent experience. I decided I should do it more often. Quiet, no pain, and still pretty accurate.

·
Registered
806 Posts
22 is soooo much fun you can't go wrong.Don't get me wrong I love the big stuff too
but..............

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. It's an underrated caliber for plain old good times.
Poot

·
Ask me about my 390 lbs mother in law.
1,005 Posts
Before the ammo shortage craze I filled a mortar can with 22LR. I was buying it at Walmart for $7.00 for 550 rounds. The same stuff is going for $11.00 now.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
61,436 Posts
What brand ??

·
Registered
43 Posts
My local walmart has the 550 bulk pack of federal 36 gr copper coated for $9.88 a box. Last time I caught them stocking and picked up 3 cases (16,500 rounds) for about $310 out the door. The federal shoots fine in all of my .22's and .22 conversions so I stacked it deep.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was warned off of the Federal by a clerk who told me that many folks were having problems with it in semi-autos. I bought the Remington ($11.98/ 550 rnds.) instead.
Poot

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wow, it's doubled price since I bought a box a few years back. I have been trying to work all the kinks out of my .22LR so I can get it back out to the range and blast away with it, but it's an odd-ball Marocchi Sovereign semiauto that's got some little "quirks" about shooting and extracting. Firing pin protrusion is fine, but it seems that hammerfall is a bit soft, as well as the extractor being a bit buggerd up. I hope I can get this thing in working order so I can spend more enjoyable time at the range, rather than getting my shoulder pounded by the big .30's! :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
turning...

I bought a simple LEE Classic press last year in order to start loading those cartridges that I feel are getting scarce. So far I have been loading just .303 (mostly for hunting purposes). I bought a set of 8mm dies also and have been looking to pick up some reloadable brass. So far I only have one box full of the 8mm brass, so won't begin to reload that until I have a sustainable supply qty of brass. I might bite the bullet os to speak and pick up a bag of it with the next trip to Cabela's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts