Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Why are you bothering with anything other than he flanged disc representing the rim? I make them using a similar flanged disc with a simple "O" ring for alignment. I remove the extractor before measurement. Unless I am going to measure a lot of guns, I've found that hardened steel isn't always necessary. I have turned many light-duty units from cold rolled. If I do want to harden it, I use water hardening drill rod. ~Andy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sorry, but a rimmed cartridge headspaces on the rim. It is the only valid headspacing measurement. The drawing attached only shows a support area on the neck and the rim thickness. I am saying that the support area on the neck is superfluous. ~Andy

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree if you wish to check the entire chamber, you should cast it. It's the prudent thing to do. I do it with every surplus rifle I plan to shoot. Once done, it is what it is. The safety of the arm will depend on the rim (or "flange" if you refer to it as such) for a rimmed cartridge. This is where all the support comes from.

If you look at the drawing supplied, the only dimension that is has a specified "tolerance" is the rim thickness dimension. (the important part!) Everything else could not exist and the gage would still function as it should. ~Andy

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm not trying to raise hackles here but the post does say "Shop Made Headspace gage..." and then asks for suggestions. I have made many headspace gages and was offering my observations.... which I have done and will do no more. ~Andy

·
Registered
537 Posts
I realize that. I was just trying to make sure that folks here don't think I'm a hard a**. My thing is this. Safety is regulated by the headspace in a rimmed cartridge. A Cerrosafe cast will do the job of any other gages when it comes to the exact dimensions of that chamber. That's all.~Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.