Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This shop does not usually carry any milsurps. This carbine appears to be in VG shape overall.
They have marked it for $599. I figured that's about the going rate. anything special about these?

thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
4,323 Posts
Not enough information to even start. Import stamped? What year/maker is barrel? What type sights and front barrel band? Inspector and manufacture proofs on stock? M1 or M2 stock? Flat or round bolt? What type safety? All these things affect value.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,574 Posts
Also look for a U or other receiver mark. I have a PM with a U marked receiver made by Union Switch and Signal. It has a Marlin barrel and is one of my most accurate carbines.

I hate the M2 stocks myself. I can live with an import mark about as easy as an M2 stock. Postal Meters are not especially rare, but most any carbine is worth $600 these days. If it has a lot of positive attributes, make a lower offer and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i recently happened onto a piece of trivia , the national postal meter was the most expensive to produce costing the govment something like $46 each while i think it was winchester that was the cheapest at close to $10 less

i have a national postal meter very happy with it , and i figure that $600 is not bad as long as its in decent shape

·
Gold Bullet member
4,323 Posts
One book is never enough

Clermont, You may be right but Harrison's M1 Carbine II books says US&S.
You can't ever take just one book as gospel... but, on NPM receivers, Larry Ruth (War Baby) says U is US&S as well. Uncommon Marking!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
National Postal Meter Carbine

Hello Bill. I have a NPM carbine and love it! Like the others have said though, condition is everything! NPM carbines do turn up but not that frequently (at least here in Maine). The early carbines had the "I" cut oiler slot. They also had the flat bolt, push button safety and "flip" rear sight. Mine is basically a parts gun but for $425 I couldn't complain. Bruce Campfield's Complete Guide to the M1 & M1 carbine would be a great help.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,574 Posts
You can't ever take just one book as gospel... but, on NPM receivers, Larry Ruth (War Baby) says U is US&S as well. Uncommon Marking!

Thanks Brad, I never took it as the gospel. Just used what I had plus experience. I feel sure it is not a common marking as I have never seen it expect once. I have other references like Ruth and Canfield. As you say, no references are enough.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
underwood made bbls for the NPM carbine - mine has one of these , the "U" subcontracor code was used , but its been my understanding that union switch & signal made about 50000 recievers for NPM , IIRC they were late in their delivery and there is no definable time period/date of production documentation , wheresa inland made recievers for NPM are defined for date , numbering- less than 750 thus making those fairly rare , and IBM made recievers are a definete period of use , and underwood supplied about 7500 recievers with a defined date use ,
i dont have any notes on where or how the markings of union switch or underwood were applied to the reciever , but both produced them

·
Gold Bullet member
13,574 Posts
underwood made bbls for the NPM carbine - mine has one of these , the "U" subcontracor code was used , but its been my understanding that union switch & signal made about 50000 recievers for NPM , IIRC they were late in their delivery and there is no definable time period/date of production documentation , wheresa inland made recievers for NPM are defined for date , numbering- less than 750 thus making those fairly rare , and IBM made recievers are a definete period of use , and underwood supplied about 7500 recievers with a defined date use ,
i dont have any notes on where or how the markings of union switch or underwood were applied to the reciever , but both produced them

I have a third carbine reference and just went on the seach for it. It is small and spiral bound.

Anyway, about 50,000 is what I remember. Thanks and Merry Christmas.
t

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Before you get to excited you better check the muzzle with a muzzle wear gauge. The bore can be bright and shiney but if muzzle wear is high value would drop drastically as USGI barrels are very hard to come buy and expensive

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
underwood made bbls for the NPM carbine...
I am curious to learn whether Underwood made barrels for Inland as well or might Inland have acquired barrels from Underwood for some of their carbines. The reason I ask is because I have a non-import Inland with a 210,XXX serial number with an Underwood 3-44 dated barrel and I have always wondered whether the barrel is original to the receiver.

Tim

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The Underwood barrel is a replacement. Inland produced their own barrels as well as having excess production capacity to supply M1 Carbine barrels to the Government Free Issue program.

·
Registered
493 Posts
To: tsellati

According to Craig Riesch"s U.S. M1 Carbines-Wartime Production, all Inland produced M1 carbines had either INLAND DIVISION or BI marked barrels.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Underwood barrel is a replacement. Inland produced their own barrels as well as having excess production capacity to supply M1 Carbine barrels to the Government Free Issue program.
I also believe that you are right as mine Inland is marked "Inland Division / General Motors."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts