Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased my first nambu from the Japanese Trader at this site. Wood grips are perfect, finish is very thin, but at $375 shipped, I thought that was an excellent price for one that was all matching including the magazine. The bore looks excellent.
Since we've pretty much lost all of our history on the board here such that I can't research the topic, can some of you comment as to how robust these pistols are ? I'd like to shoot it once in awhile, maybe 50 rounds of ammo a year. Any problems or issues or should I just put it back on the shelf ? I talked to my local gunshop owner today on the phone to see if he had ammo on the shelf but he quickly and abruptly made it known that I was endangering my life if I attempted to shoot it ! I shoot all of my Japanese rifles with of course no problems so I'm inclined to think he is affected with the "Japanese weapons are junk" syndrome.
This is a March 1944 manufactured pistol.
Thanks!

Kim

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
If you have an original firing pin in it, you might want to get a repro and use it for shooting as they are known for firing pin breakage. Other than that shoot to your hearts content; I know I do.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Most of the T14's I've encountered had worn out springs, so I suggest getting new springs and +1 on an extra pin. "Dangerous Pistol" is an urban legened but do make sure it has all it's parts and is properly assembled. First time I shot mine, I hit right on the x of the bullseye! It really points well.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
CW, thanks for reminding him about the springs as I had forgotten them. Kim, you can get a complete set of springs for your Type-14 from Wolf Springs at a good price.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
ditto wolfe springs and lots of oil. I like the "pop" that the t14 makes.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Don Schlickman makes firing pins in all lengths if you want to pick one up.

And do not dry fire it, if you want to de **** it, put a pencil with eraser end down in to the bore and hold it lightly, snap and bingo the pin does not crash into the bolt to stop. Better if you do not sharpen the pencil.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have shot my T14 and my T94, both shoot very nice (years ago I put in new springs in the 14). The 8mm round is very light in kicking, but makes me look accurate.

Ed

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree with the rest of the chorus, T-14’s are very nice shooting handguns! Regarding the dealer that was badmouthing them, sounds like he is someone you want to buy one from!

I find handloading is the best choice; my pet load is 4.2 Grs. Of Win 231 with the copper plated bullets from Huntington’s, the HDS brass from Huntington’s is also excellent.

Dryfiring is best avoided, another way to do it is to lock the breechbolt back with an empty magazine, press in the firing pin guide and un-screw the cocking piece, remove the firing pin, spring and guide, replace the cocking piece, lower the magazine and ease the breechbolt closed, reseat the magazine, remove the cocking piece and reinsert the firing pin, pulling the trigger to allow the firing pin to go forward before replacing the firing pin spring and guide and replacing the cocking piece. Sounds complicated but it is really very simple, only takes a few seconds, besides you will not have any pencils stuck in your ceiling!

·
Silver Bullet member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the positive comments! My gut told me the gunshop guy was full of it.
Yes the firing pin is original and numbered to the gun. I'll take your suggestions and get a spare firing pin and springs.
I'm curious about 03man's comment about different lengths of pins? What's up with that as I thought there was only one length. What do I ask for when I order a replacement from Don?
Also for starters, can I expect to find 8mm ammo at a gunshow that is well attended by an assortment of vendors? I've always been tuned into 6.5 or 7.7 ammo so this will be my first stab at looking for pistol ammo.
Thanks for your help!
Kim

·
Silver Bullet member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, one more thing. Any reason to save the original springs with regards to collectability of the overall pistol ?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Try:
mrnambu.com for ammo. If you do see it at a show it will likely be out of sight.

Why not save the springs? If you ever sell or trade the pistol, put them back in and save the new ones for your shooter.

Just measure your firing pin from tip to base, likely will be 73mm, but could be 65 or 80something. Just give Don this measurement and the diameter of the tip, which could be 1.5 or 2 mm.

·
Silver Bullet member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have ammo coming from a fellow poster and the springs are ordered. Still need to line up a firing pin with Don Schlickman.
I partially disassembled the pistol. The good news is that I confirmed the firing pin, cocking knob and bolt are serialed to the gun as well as the mag. The bad news is I'm stuck in my disassembly. If you see the photo, where do I go from here ???
Thanks! Kim

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Ok,
Now remove the left grip, the next step takes dexterity!

While pressing in on the magazine release, and back on the bbl, pull the trigger ring down.

Voila, the pistol comes apart.

pay attention to how the innards fit and don't let any springs come loose without knowing where they come from!

Then do another post about how to get it back together!

Maybe you better buy a book!

I think Teri has a disassembly section on her website. Look at the stickys for T14 info and check it out.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,476 Posts
If it were me, I would save the original springs. I would also want them if I were to buy it. And yes, they are fun to shoot and safe. I have not luck finding cheap ammo. Finding any can be tuff. I hope you are able to find some, and cheap. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Do I remove the screw at the bottom of the left grip ?
Yes. In my experience, its a good idea to remove both grips before pulling down the trigger guard. Less chance of hanging up on the grip and possibly chipping it. Just take care in removing the right grip. Lift it gently from the bottom and guide it off around the backside of the magazine release.

·
Silver Bullet member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I reassembled for now. I think I'll wait till I get the replacement springs before I disassemble further. I never would have guessed how involved disassembly is, especially compared to a T99.
Mike: I made up my mind to save all the original parts and keep it with the gun.
03man: yep, a book on the subject is going to be a definite purchase in the near future.
Kim

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but got tied up tonight with a couple of other things but it looks like you got a handle on your new shooter. If you think a Type-14 is involved wait until your first go around with a Type-94, now those can be pain, almost as bad a bolt on the Type-30 rifle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When you remove the trigger guard, the mag catch will pop out, and its spring, that spring is very small and easy to loose so keep an eye on it. It is what we called at the Glock Armorers course a “Carpet Soluble Part”!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts