Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to load some .308 Sabots with .224 copper jacketed bullets soon. When I reload normal brass and bullets for my Springfield I always attempt to keep the bullet speed at or about 2700 Ft/Sec. and the resulting receiver pressure below 52,000 Lbs/Sq.In. because of the age of the rifle and my understanding of the upper limit of this receiver's strength. However, everything I read about shooting Sabots implies that I certainly may achieve higher bullet speeds and perhaps greater receiver pressure. Has anyone else ever dealt-with this dilemma and/or successfully fired .308 Sabots from a 1903 Springfield manufactured at Springfield Armory in 1919?

·
Registered
245 Posts
You should reach much higher speeds at normal pressures with a light bullet in a sabot. Do not expect to achieve much in accuracy.
Can you explain further for a novice. I'm thinking the barrel twist rate isn't high enough for lighter bullets. Does a sabot impart the same barrel spin on the bullet?
Or something completely different?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Can you explain further for a novice. I'm thinking the barrel twist rate isn't high enough for lighter bullets. Does a sabot impart the same barrel spin on the bullet?
Or something completely different?
Same spin with Sabot as you twist gives any bullet...shorter, lighter bullets need LESS twist than longer, heavier bullets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts