Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
this seems like where the long range guys hang out so i was wondering if someone could answer this question...rifle is a CZ 550 varmint in 308 cal, has like a 25-26 inch bull barrel... i mounted a bushnell elite 3200 2-7x40 mildot scope on her, i went out to the range and was shooting rocks 6-8 inches wide about 4 inches tall at 500 yards...HERE is the question the bullets are prvi (serbia) match 168gr bthp... i do not know the velocity, bullet drop anywhere form 48-60 inches from what the net says... anyway my elevation on the scope is totally MAXED out and i have to use the 3rd mildot down. is this normal? i thought the scope would let me shoot through the center cross hair if i wanted? but i admit i never usually shoot this far, i can hit the rocks easy, but i just want to make sure a bushnell elite 3200 2-7x40 mildot (is it normal) to max out the elevation and use 3rd dot down... just curious thanks for the heads up...

It's not rare for a set of rings and/or a scope base to be slightly of of spec, and possibly this is your problem. The cheaper brands have more problems than the big names do. For example, if the scope is slightly lower in the front rings than the rear rings, you are fighting an uphill battle. Do you have access to a borescope? It could tell you if your POA is really where you think it is.

There are special inclined bases made for REALLY longe range, such as 1000 yards and beyond. I have never had a problem shooting to 400 ~ 500 yards with any name brand scope & mount combo.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think it's out of spec

the scope works fine... i was afterall shooting pretty much sub MOA with it, i just wanted to know if it is normal to max out elevation and be required to use 3rd dot down with a 308 at 500 yrds/// but anyway i do not consider bushnell 3200 series scopes cheap... but rather about the best bang for the buck scope... but maybe will try on a friends ar15 to find out ....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard the Incline Mount is the answer to that issue also. I agree that that scope is quite capable of reaching out a mere 500yds. tho. at least i'd think so. You might try reversing those rings and see if you get the same effect~ as in one ring being higher that the other. Can't hurt to try. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have a fairly expensive Bausch&Lomb, and while it is a great scope, at 600 yards shooting it on a 308 Tikka ISU rifle I was just about maxed out on elevation.

And then I have a cheap Weaver V9 that can adjust for over 60 minutes of elevation, and handily got me to 1000 yards on top of an flattop AR15.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe if your having a problem with the scope being maxed out on the elevation adjustment, you need to lower the front ring. This will raise the point of impact in relation to the line of sight through the scope.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Scope elevation.

Try Burris Signature rings with 10-20 MOA cams if your rifle has weaver/picitinny rail mounts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts