Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Naganthians,

I have been shooting fairly tight groups (2") about 3" left of point of aim and just a bit high at 10 yards. When I rest my hands on a bench, my group is about the same size and 2" left and a bit low. All my shots are single action.

This makes me think this is a trigger control problem. Any tips?

I've tried putting a CMTE roller beneath the spring to lighten the trigger, but it on my pistol, this affects cocking on the second shot. I'm going to try a smaller nut.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
It could also be the ammo. Fixed sight revolvers are notorious for being picky about the ammo, and not just high and low.

I think that there is a chart that shows a target and what might be happening if your shots are not centered. I will look for it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hi Hoffy,

I have just one revolver that has that problem. It very well maybe a ammo problem as Gosha mentioned.

I shot about four type of reloads one day, using Starline (Nagant) brass, 32 S&W longs and
32 H&R brass. (#4 was a near max load in a 32 ACP cylinder)

One of them shot just as you discribe. I think it was the 32 S&W stuff. My guess is it was this particular load as I have not had a problem with this revolver before. Yes it shot to point of aim with the other loads.
I had to stop shooting and check the sights, I thought the front sight must have moved!

LOL The same load shot well in a second Nagant. Why I have NO CLUE!

Best to all,
point6

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
All of mine shoot to about the same place with 32 Long. Of course with some of the older expensive Fiocchi stuff they didn't shoot to point of aim either. I forget where but I remember they were off just as far.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and I particularly appreciate you mentioning the ammo. I've mostly been shooting S&B 32 acp. 32 long did seem a little more accurate, but I wrote that off to me reacting differently to the different recoil.
I'll break down and run a little of the high dollar H&R mag through it, since that's what I want to get good with.

·
Gunboards Sponsor
249 Posts
look for trigger control as in ...how far in or how far out you stick your trigger finger. once you find that remember where it is and you should shoot same place each time.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If your Nagant shoots off to the left with non-standard ammo but is well centered with the correct cartridges you are probably looking at damage to the bullets of the non-standard cartridges due to imperfect timing or misalignment of the bullet as it enters the forcing cone. Straight walled cartridges like the .32 S&W slop around a lot at the base in Nagant chambers if not taped, and the gas seal 7.62X38 cartridge was very forgiving of slight errors in timing (would tend to correct a degree of misalignment in the process of ironing the case mouth into the forcing cone -- or so my theory goes). My suggestion is to spend the bucks for the correct ammo.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been shooting fairly tight groups (2") about 3" left of point of aim and just a bit high at 10 yards. When I rest my hands on a bench, my group is about the same size and 2" left and a bit low. All my shots are single action.
Check your grip. The butt of the gun should be seated 'deep' in your hand, and the barrel should be on line with your forearm and your wrist straight. I also like to put the tip of my thumb against the recoil shied, but beware! I'm shooting very light-recoiling handloads... Because the butt is so small, a 'deep' grip may put your trigger finger in a somewhat awkward position, you may have to press the trigger with the second joint. But IMHO it's less harmful than holding the gun with too delicate or skewed grip.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
If your Nagant shoots off to the left with non-standard ammo but is well centered with the correct cartridges you are probably looking at damage to the bullets of the non-standard cartridges due to imperfect timing or misalignment of the bullet as it enters the forcing cone.
My groups are too consistent to be caused by this. And I'm not sure if any current Nagant ammo will shoot to point of aim, or even if the Soviets ever cared to properly regulate the sights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts