Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Can I get advice on shooting a 45-70 1884 trap door Spring field? I've been told the bore is good. I bought 45-70 "all rifle" ammo. But not sure of advice. Was told black powered guns can shoot the "all rifle" ammo. Modern powder is high power verse black powder?

I also have a box of 45-70 bullets that came with the 1874, was told I could shoot that also, bore is fair. But how do tell if they are 1874. And would you shoot them???

Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
drew,
If the ammunition you bought for your 1884 says good for "all rifles in good condition" on the box then you should be all right. The best sort of off-the shelf ammo to get would be labeled as "Cowboy" loads, using lead bullets. It's not so much a matter of "high power" versus black powder being "low power." Any off-the-shelf load, except for those offered by Goex, will use "modern" powders. The ones suitable for trapdoors (i.e. "all rifles in good condition") are loaded down to duplicate (or at least not exceed) black powder pressures.

In your second question, I'm not sure what you mean by "the 1874." Are you referring to a rifle, or are you saying the cartridges ("how do tell if they are 1874") were made in 1874? If the bullets were made in 1874, don't shoot them. They're collectibles. If the rifle was made in 1874 (1874 what? Trapdoor? Sharps? Confusing, as there's no such thing as a Model 1874 Springfield... there are 1873s, 1884s and 1888s) then the same "all rifles in good condition" would apply.

Victor

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson."

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
do not use jacketed bullets - you'll destroy the rifling before you know it. The lead round nose Cowboy rounds are good.

The ammo you say you got, with the 1884 (I believe you have a typo) post some photos, as Viclav says they could be collectibles all by themselves....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I see I need to do it with the gun in front of me. The ammo is Remington "all rifles".

Model 1884 trapdoor, serial # 458423, this gun is tight. It feels good and all seems sound. I will shoot it.

The Model 1873 trapdoor, serial # 48I636 (looks like I not 1), this is the gun I got with loaded soft lead bullets. No telling when made.

The door has slight play in it. This gun has seem some field work. No history. I will not shoot this one. It is in good shape and looks nice.

What do you suggest I can do with the bullets?

Thanks for your info!

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,606 Posts
The ammo that came with the 1873 needs to be fully described before any suggestions can be made. What are the headstamps, mainly. Aslo, if it is in box(es), what sort of box and what markings.

·
100,606 Posts
Well, made by Union Metallic Cartridge Company, and I believe prior to merger (actually - UMC acquisition of) Remington in 1912. The S-H indicates solid head (instead of balloon head) construction. Not a military contract round, i believe. Date is before 1912, after 1873, more probably after 1880. Value and place to sell, not a clue.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,560 Posts
You have some valuable colletor ammo. there is an ammo bunker forum here with some very knowledgable collectors and part time dealers in collectable ammo. Be careful of a guy named buckshooter heh heh.

·
100,606 Posts
Besides being corrosive, the primers may be mercuric, which will cause the brass to become brittle and not-reloadable.

Bettter to sell it as collector ammo and shoot other, modern, ammo. Get Cowboy Action loads from Black Hills or one of the other suppliers - lead bullets, loaded at moderate pressure, very suitable for either of your Trapdoors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.