Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering reloading some of my M1-Carbine and Springfield .30-06 brass with .308 sabots that enclose a .223 or .224 bullet. If some of you have experience with this, please enlighten me on some of the following questions I have. (1) Is plastic or nylon a better sabot material to shoot? (2) - must I be concerned about the amount of spin my normal rifling presents to the sabot, ie... my 1:10 Springfield twist may not spin a lighter .223 bullet enough to be as accurate as a normal .308 bullet? Any other things I should be looking-for would be appreciated? Thanks!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,348 Posts
I actually have a bag of those on the shelf that I bought many, many, years ago to try out. But as yet I have never tried them. Now that you have reminded me of them maybe I will pull them down, dust them off and give them a try.

I figure that with a 62gr. or so bullet the 1:10 twist rate ought to be about perfect.

Please post any results you get in your trials.

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
My main problem with sabots is that the ones I have tried tended to get shaved when seated into a brass case. They are tricky to load without damaging them, which leads to inaccuracy.

The above taken from that reloading thread Mtnboomer posted. The use of a Lyman M Die will set your brass up so no shaving of sabot occurs. That is a easy fix. Regarding rifle barrel twist and its effects on sabot ammo accuracy: its pretty much lost science or never developed science. It seems the concept just never caught on with reloaders or has been lost in the dust bin of history.

So... does a sabot exist for shooting a .243 out of a 3006? Direct me to the supplier of such and I will kick this can down the road
and see what accuracy one can get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.