Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend just picked up most of my stash of bubble wrap. I then found out that he is using it to ship Live freshy dug Civil War artillary shells to someone out of state to have them drilled and cleaned out. I think he is using the US Post Office no weigh shipping boxes.

I have a couple questions, the most important of which is:

Can they get MY fingerprints off of bubble wrap should something happen?

What is he risking if caught?

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
The question they ask you at the Post Office pertains to something that is "hazardess" I think you're friend is in for a world of hurt.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
your buddy is d00med. That's a hazmat item and absolutely MUST be shipped with a disclaimer stating that fact. It's a felony if he decides to ship it through the post office without proper identification tags on the box.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,115 Posts
your buddy is d00med. That's a hazmat item and absolutely MUST be shipped with a disclaimer stating that fact. It's a felony if he decides to ship it through the post office without proper identification tags on the box.
I think that violating the hazmat notification regulations is the least of this foolish individual's worries. He is exposing countless people in the chain of delivery to injury or death. Worst case scenario, negligent homicide criminal charges and ruinous civil liability.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Essex, I mean no disrespect to you personally, but not for nothing but your friend is idiot. What if it goes off and kills/maims some poor postal employee??? What if it were to explode on an aircraft or on a delivery truck ?All of these things move and makes packages shift. It's not like he's shipping properly secured, unused explosives the proper way. He's shipping live, unexploded ordnance that is nearly 200 years old! These things still kill people every few years. If he did not ship it yet I would REALLY tell him not to. Who needs a death on their conscience over a frigging cannon ball??

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
Personally, I don't think they can get your fingerprints off something like that. I could be wrong, but again, seriously doubt that would happen.

However, your friend has just stupidly endangered the lives of several people and at the very least warrants one hell of a chewing out! It's idiots like that that give the Brady Campaign ammunition to use against the rest of us sane and safe gun collectors! This friend of yours may yet prove to be the single most braindead individual this side of hell itself!

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,315 Posts
Not much I can add to what has already been said. If the place you friend shipped the shells to is a legitimate business for deactivating such armament, I would expect them to be raising all sorts of Holy Hell over the poor shipping practice, as THEY are now involved in it as well.

IMO, you need a better class of friend.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Suppose the worse happens - shell explodes maiming or killing someone.

I would worry that you could face prosecution for not warning the police/post office. From my understanding the knowledge of a crime (felony I believe in this case) before its execution is chargible.

If you watch the crime shows they can get prints off nearly anything.

If not shipped yet - your friend needs to man up and physically drive the shells to the destination.

PS - guy blew him self up within a few miles of me last year messing with a Civil War shell. Lived long enough to know how bad he screwed up too. He was supposed to be a professional.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,104 Posts
While you don't have any common law obligation to intervene, the statutory laws may differ. Either way, I would still let your friend know in plain language that he is a BOZO, and move up to a better class of friends.

You might consider reporting him to the Postal Inspectors if you are worried that people might get hurt or killed by his stupidity, and he continues to ship these shells.

I would sure hate to hear later on of an explosion, because, IMO, the blood would definitely be on my hands if I stood by and did nothing.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Those priority packages all move by commercial contracted passenger airliners. He has more than USPS regs to worry about if one is discovered in that package. If one goes off in an aircraft..he is as good as DEAD!

Many Civil war shells use Picric Acid as an explosive. Now that stuff is most unstable and very easy to detonate. Several people have been killed trying to demill projectiles of that era.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Holy smokes! That is the worst idea I've ever heard in my life by far. In the past couple of years, there have been several cases of these things going off and killing the guys who were messing with them.

You really need to try to stop this from happening again, somehow.

·
Registered
21,211 Posts
Turn him in . He does not need to be in the gene pool.

Do nothing and its a good chance he will continue to put innocent peoples lives at risk.

Its about ethics and citizenship. Doing nothing is not an answer.

And ....its against the law.

Turn him in.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,115 Posts
I would worry that you could face prosecution for not warning the police/post office. From my understanding the knowledge of a crime (felony I believe in this case) before its execution is chargible.
Generally speaking, mere knowledge of impending wrong-doing does not create an obligation to intervene or notify the authorities in the absence of some prior involvement or a relationship that creates an underlying "duty" to so act.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm a bit new on this board, but heed everything said particularly the last post. Get to a law enforcement officer or Post Office official.....NOW. Tell them what you know and your fears. If, God forbid, he goes through with this and someone gets killed or injured, YOU will be dragged into it as an accomplice by your knowledge and lack of action. You must take action now to keep yourself free from any future possible prosecution, not to mention probably saving several lives. DO IT.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
Thats DUMBA$$ with a capital D! This moron will get someone hurt or killed!

PAshutr3

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,590 Posts
I'm a bit new on this board, but heed everything said particularly the last post. Get to a law enforcement officer or Post Office official.....NOW. Tell them what you know and your fears. If, God forbid, he goes through with this and someone gets killed or injured, YOU will be dragged into it as an accomplice by your knowledge and lack of action. You must take action now to keep yourself free from any future possible prosecution, not to mention probably saving several lives. DO IT.
1. the term "Misprison of felony" occurs to me.

2. I am not aware of War of Northern Aggression shells being loaded with picric acid - usual burster where present is gunpowder as I understand it. Picric acid came later and was much used in WWI (Lyddite was picric acid).

3. I'd turn the guy in. Probably via an anonymous site like CRIMESTOPPERS. Or a letter in the form of a photocopy from a commercial site, never touched except with gloved (exam gloves, discarded after use), naming him and his nefarious plans/deeds but leaving my name out. Use an envelope with a pressure sensitive seal and don't touch it except with gloved - exam gloves, discarded after use. Address to POSTAL INSPECTOR IN CHARGE and drop it in a drop box that isn't near home.

4. They won't be able to get prints off bubble wrap, or bother to try since the pakages will have the villain's name on the return I bet.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hahahahahhahahahahaha!!!!
Federal Felonies..no such thing. Did you get a lot of milage off this thread? This is too stupid to be believed, even by a southron.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.