Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man, I just blew 2 days getting up an ammo order,from a fool in Oregon, like 2,700$ worth of Albainian 7.62X54R, at 50$ a 300rd tin..... getting a bank to bank transfer together from Kotzebue (our nearest bank) 60 miles North and called him to confirm his #'s and delivery to UPS. Then I figured out he was a fool.
I buy ammo, mostly in bulk, and though the shipping sometimes matches the price of what Im buying, Living here is WORTH every cent. UPS, FedX, and most major cargo companys, as well as Barge service get what I want to me, no problemo. Ups will even do the hazmat paperwork, if a trucking company hasnt already.
Pack it proper (3 times= bullet case, box its in , case or carton holding said boxes of loaded said cartrige cases, same as when it landed on our shores.)
Well, and when I called the guy, he said "Nobody ships to Alaska, only the in US" Hmmmmmmm. He had said Ups would pick it up. "Did you call ups? the'll pick it up and plaster stickers all over it, you just sign the line" "Oh ya, talked with them, Its gotta be in America, they don't do foreign orders" I asked "Even to Alaska?" his respons was "well, your not in the US" so saiz I;" Look I'll call the UPS and send them over, maby they misunderstood" "No, cant do it, you have to be an American to buy ammo from my country"
So I figure to educate him...."Alaska is in the US, and a state at that." "well, I dont know about that...." and at that I hung up. If he dont think were a state, he is way too stupid to sell to me. The next call was to the bank and a cancelllation on that deal...cost me 29$.

Folks, Companys, Alaska is a State, for those who dont know.A shoot'r friendly state if ever there were one.
Cut us in half, and Texas would be the third largest state.
Buy a pistol, put it in your pocket and walk out of the store. We have conceled carry laws same as Vermont.
If you want class 3, and you qualify, AK laws says the CLO MUST sign.
We own more guns per capita than the rest. More women own guns here , perpotionatly than the rest.
Nearly 1/2 of all our visitors BRING guns with them.
We burn ammo by the pound and by the ton.
If someone in Alaska wants to buy ammo, you have the easy part.....deliver it to UPS if they dont pick it up, and let'er rip.Its the Alaskan that bears the real burden when it comes to cost,"shipping" is a dirty word 'cause it aint cheap to move things anymore.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Man, what a pain.

Alaska is a state. "Well, I don't know about that...." You oughta plaster this ignorant jack-tard's name all over the internet with this very dialogue attached to it to demonstrate to potential buyers what kind of idjit they'll be dealing with. Right to know, my friend.

You would think that with an ammo order of $2,700 he would do what he could to get it to you....

·
Copper Bullet member
9,339 Posts
Hmmm...
Perhaps the young Rhodes Scholar thought you said you were from "Al-Aska" and got confused when he couldn't find it on the terrorist watch-list ;)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Alaska a state?

You are not the only "state" that has to educate the population on your status....

Try Living in New 'Mexico'! People will tell you...."I don't think you can even OWN guns there....how do you get across the border"? You get this from Texans as well as New Englanders....

·
Registered
983 Posts
Tell me no! At least that is what I said in the 80's. I have always enjoyed history, geography, and social studies, so I may be ahead of the curve. But for real, how ignorant do you have to be? This is basic stuff.

If my Maxim does not like some of the different 7.62x54R that I have bought, I will be happy to ship it if you don't mind paying. Sorry for your trouble.
Tribrothers

·
Administrator
6,985 Posts
I've spent a lot of time in the Alaskan outback prospecting. I'll testify that Alaskan's are the most heavily armed people I've seen this side of Viet Nam.

Man did you find a Fool. One in a million.

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
I hope he doesn't ever try to go to Hawaii. With how far that is from the mainland US, there is no way that's a state.

I've always loved geography. You wouln't believe how many students in my high school geography class would rubberneck to see my test answers. I thought, "are all these people really this stupid?".

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,528 Posts
I work for a major heavy freight forwarder. Some jacktard calls me after getting the "can't do it" answers from UPS & FedEx. They're always pissed that they can't get 24 hour overnite delivery to far points outta Anchorage. My freight routing is either into Seattle, then coastal barge for big stuff, or a flight into Minneapolis, then in by commercial aircraft for small stuff - usually Alaska Airlines, who delight in bumping freight in order to load on more passengers.

Those who complain are visitors who have never driven the Can-Am highway, so they have no clue why my trucks don't go there. The folks who live there have no illusions of being far away adds time to freight transit.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What a guy. I think I may have understanding of your shipping pains. I live in hawaii. I dare not mention what UPS would charge for some ammounts of ammo ive ordered. Best we can get here is by boat,takes a while and is still pricey but not as bad as some of the others. My regards friend on your situation.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Wow - what's worse is idiots like that have the right to vote, AND they're allowed to procreate. Good God, what a moron!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I can't believe this about Alaska. I did know about New Mexico because New Mexico Magazine has published a final page for years called "One of our Fifty Is Missing" dealing with this issue for that state.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Doesn't surprise me at all. I'm from North Dakota and I constantly run into people who think that makes me a Canadian.

·
Registered
580 Posts
HAHAHAHHAHAHAH

This is tooooo funny!!!!

The seller was probably joking, there is no way he DIDN'T know ALASKA is a state!!!!!

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
Wow, that's shocking. I mean, i could understand him using the modifier continental america and then denying alaska as a legit place to ship, but denying the fact it's a state, that's just mind boggling.

Obviously, he is buying what he considers to be a good deal and that's worth about any price. I wish i had 2700 to spend on ammo.

·
Administrator
3,429 Posts
Yeah, sounds familiar. I live on a small island off the coast of WA state about 30 miles from Vancouver island. Many of the tourists that visit our farm seem to think they're in Canada. Typical conversation in our gift shop,
Me: "So, where are you folks from?"
Tourist: "We're from WA state, in America"
Me: "Really? Me too."
Tourist: "Do you enjoy living in Canada?"
Me: "Actually, I live in WA state"
Tourist: "Wow, how long does it take you to get to work in the morning?"
Me: "About ten minutes."
Tourist: "Wow! you must have to fly to work?"
Me: "No, I just walk."
Tourist: "All the way from WA state!?"
Me: "Ma'am, you're in WA state right now"
Tourist: "Is that so? I want to buy these items, do you take American money?"
Me: "Yes, we sure do."

I guess it doesn't help these silly people that the sign at the ferry dock on the mainland says, "Welcome to America!" They must not realize that this is meant for the the Canadian tourists coming from Victoria. When the local people here take the ferry to the mainland, we call it "going to America."

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow, there are some (sorry for anyone I offend :D) STUPID people out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stupidity must work both ways. When my buddy and I returned from our Mulchatna caribou hunt last fall, we had a day to kill in Anchorage. We got a taxi out to Sportsman's Warehouse to have a look at the rifles, my buddy was interested in buying a 300 WSM. We handled a bunch of different bolt guns and my friend decided on a Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker. Asked the clerk about a sale to Ca. and he said we don't sell to Ca. I told him one of my close friends near home was an FFL licensed online dealer with a storefront. He said no dice. I said let me talk to the manager. I went over the same drill with the manager and he decided it was possible but I could tell he still didn't like it. No shit, buddy! I don't think Sportsman's Warehouse upper management would care for their off-the-cuff attitude with regard to a perfectly legal sale. By then I was so pissed off at their rotten attitude, I looked over at my compadre and said "Lets get the hell out of here, I'll find it cheaper for you at home on the Internet." Which is exactly what we did. And saved $100 as well. Sportsman's Warehouse Anchorage can kiss my ass!

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
What are you talking about? Everyone knows that Alaska belongs to Russia, and New Mexico is the northernmost part of Old Mexico!

Just kidding. My mom used to say that she was young when Alaska became a state, and she was quite offended that any state would DARE be bigger than Texas!

I remember seeing a poll years ago, I don't remember the numbers, but a very high percentage of Americans believe that Baja California is part of the U.S. and New Mexico is not.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Here is some more "stupid" for you. Maybe FedEx knows where Dutch Harbor, Ak. is now, but they didn't when I ordered a big expensive batch of roses a year ago. The seller was in Florida and had all express deliveries contracted through FedEx - who guaranteed delivery worldwide within 3 days. Started out good. Seller punched in the "ship to" addy, computer said "yes". Took only 24 hours to ship them from South America, through customs in Atlanta, and get to Anchorage, Ak. Package was time sensitive and perishable. They weren't delivered as promised and during a couple of long phone calls I just could not get the merchant to understand the situation. He kept saying to call the depot in Dutch Harbor and see if the package is on the truck. Maybe someone could go to the depot and pick them up. Well I could not educate that city boy and he had no inkling about geography. Never heard of MapQuest or Yahoo, I guess. Dutch Harbor is on Unalaska Island about 800 miles S.W. of Anchorage. Trucks do not drive to islands - even FedEx trucks. FedEx packages going express to Dutch get MAILED to Dutch Harbor from Anchorage!! How stupid is that? Dutch has an airport - at least during and after WW II! There is NO FedEx depot there! There are NO FedEx trucks there! There are NO FedEx employees to receive, sort, or to deliver packages there! It took a whole gang of combined stupidity to arrange this botched delivery. They did know that Alaska was in the United States, but that did absolutely no good. The flowers were stuck in Anchorage for 4 days before mailing. Great. There was no surprise for the recipient as I had to tell them to refuse the package as they were spoiled by the time of delivery. The Idiot Merchant tried to blame me for the mess-up. He and FedEx should have known - they had the ZIP code! I did get my refund. DDR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts