Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I shot my IAB Sharps rifle yesterday. Now I don`t want to hear that IAB is junk. This is not what I want to know. Anyway, at 50yds I was shooting 4 in. groups & that is good for me. My question is about BP loads, so here goes. I made up 20 paper cartridges using Ringtail bullets. In order for the paper to protrude out of the chamber to get cut off. I had to load 70g. of powder. I have read were shooters only use 40g when loading loose BP behind a bullet. Correct me if I`m wrong, but doesn`t this leave an air space in the chamber which is supposed to be Taboo in a BP firearm, or doesn't it matter in a Sharps?
The reason I`m asking is, punching holes in paper at 50 yds. with a 70g BP load is a big waste of powder. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My first thought was, is it a rifle or a carbine? I use 70 grs in my rifle and used about 40 in the carbine I once owned. But as you, I have to use 70 grs to fill the paper enough for the block to cut. Have never tried any kind of filler as 70 grs feels right in that caliber

·
Registered
231 Posts
the important thing with black powder is NOT to have an air space. This is true whether you are shooting a muzzle loader, a paper cartridge gun or a cartridge gun. The only way to shoot 40 grains of black powder is to use a filler such as crème of wheat.

If you decide to use loose powder, fill the chamber! DO NOT open the breach unless the muzzle is pointed towards the ground. If you do not do this, you risk getting powder to leak between the barrel and the fore stock. You can literally blow the fore stock and who knows what else off!!!

I own rifles and carbines. They all require the same amount of powder.

Have fun and be safe!

Terry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.