Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest for Buckeye Firearms talks about the gun panic of 1992 and how it is very much like what we are seeing now. High prices, empty shelves at gun shops and crowds at gun shows is nothing new. We saw this after the Clinton election in 1992. What lies ahead, is the panic warranted? We talk about it here.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/6337

Feel free to share the link with family and friends.

Tim

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Don't know (but I don't think so) but I DO know it has been GOOD for business.
Last summer, dealers were talking about getting out and staying out, sales were so slow.
Now I hear a lot of dang I hate Obama but he sure has been good for my bottom line...sales through the roof.
I can testify MY gunshow traffic has been thick and ready to crack open the wallet/s.

·
Administrator
3,333 Posts
I am sure it depends on what you are selling. I have found that at shows in PA the last 3 months, that sales are down (still selling smaller priced items), that "collectable" items are not selling except to true collectors looking for that particular item.

It appears to me that the average guy or "investor" is looking for items to make a buck on later or have for later.....

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chasdev, I think you will find sales will be great for a few months or as long as you have stock. However if my experience from the old days is any indicator, you will find the distributors will be sold out of much of what you want, in the near future, if not now... By the time they get more, the ban legislation may be on its way. History is something to learn from...

We are best off to act now. Contact your members in the House and Senate and demand they not support any gun bans or anti gun legislation now.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Think Edward Tinker is right. I'd guess the "panic" buying is semiauto high capacity type handguns and "assault rifles". I think just recently prices on gunbroker etc. tend to be on the low side on some of the older pre-1899 stuff.

The other thing about the 92 era buying binge was how bad 93 was for gun and ammo sales as so many people had bought more than they planned due to concerns of government crackdowns. Lots of one time buyers and no doubt some guys blowing several years of their "gun money' in one. Probably see the same thing.

Of course, economy was probably better in 92 too.

Local rag (southeast Idaho) claimed they couldn't keep lots of ammo in stock without much detail.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
105,301 Posts
The other thing about the 92 era buying binge was how bad 93 was for gun and ammo sales as so many people had bought more than they planned due to concerns of government crackdowns. Lots of one time buyers and no doubt some guys blowing several years of their "gun money' in one. Probably see the same thing.

Of course, economy was probably better in 92 too.
That is correct. Most people only have so much money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It'll be regulation, not legislation. The ATF is going to re-interpret and re-write the rules (not Congress) and they will be incredibly nasty. They will shut off imports and go after domestic distributors and manufactureers. That will leave the politicans free to plead total innocence on any "anti-gun" legislation.

I expect to see that the distributors and importers will not be able to restock because none of their permits get approved. Remeber, the Director of the ATF decides "at his sole discretion" what can be imported as a "sporting arm"; no questions asked or allowed. Customs will drag their feet and it could take years (or decades, like last time) to get things released from bond. The goal is to force them into bankruptcy. It's worked before and it will work again.

The Clinton administration forced the closure of 2/3's to 3/4's of the distributors and importers back in the 1990's (compare the thickness of a pre-Clinton Shotgun News to a post-Clinton Shotgun News for a non-scientific, anecdotal confirmation of this proposition). The incoming administration can do a huge amount damage just through regulation.

Once the importers and distributors are gone it will be very easy to squeeze the small companies and gunshops out of existence with IRS and ATF audits. Also, after the "big guys" are gone, the lobbying money dries up and the industry becomes defenseless in Congress.

When the suppliers are gone, then the individuals can be attacked by restricting hunting, closing gun ranges (once again with new, incremental restrictions) and passing "safe storage and transportation" laws. One favored version of those laws is to make adjoining jurisdictions' firearms transportation laws contradict each other forcing you to violate them in one jurisdiction or the other. You thus "criminalize" a targeted group of people with "gun crime" setting the political stage for massive new "crime control" laws which are basically anti-gun, 2nd Amendment nullification laws.

This not going to be a grand, heroic confrontation of one massive anti-gun bill in Congress. This is going to be death of a thousand cuts. It won't be a shark attack, it will be a piranha feeding frenzy stripping the flesh from the bones in thousands of "little bites".

The result will be the same. The 2nd Amendment will be nullified and gun ownership will be criminalized.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It'll be regulation, not legislation. The ATF is going to re-interpret and re-write the rules (not Congress) and they will be incredibly nasty. They will shut off imports and go after domestic distributors and manufactureers. That will leave the politicans free to plead total innocence on any "anti-gun" legislation.

I expect to see that the distributors and importers will not be able to restock because none of their permits get approved. Remeber, the Director of the ATF decides "at his sole discretion" what can be imported as a "sporting arm"; no questions asked or allowed. Customs will drag their feet and it could take years (or decades, like last time) to get things released from bond. The goal is to force them into bankruptcy. It's worked before and it will work again.

The Clinton administration forced the closure of 2/3's to 3/4's of the distributors and importers back in the 1990's (compare the thickness of a pre-Clinton Shotgun News to a post-Clinton Shotgun News for a non-scientific, anecdotal confirmation of this proposition). The incoming administration can do a huge amount damage just through regulation.

Once the importers and distributors are gone it will be very easy to squeeze the small companies and gunshops out of existence with IRS and ATF audits. Also, after the "big guys" are gone, the lobbying money dries up and the industry becomes defenseless in Congress.

When the suppliers are gone, then the individuals can be attacked by restricting hunting, closing gun ranges (once again with new, incremental restrictions) and passing "safe storage and transportation" laws. One favored version of those laws is to make adjoining jurisdictions' firearms transportation laws contradict each other forcing you to violate them in one jurisdiction or the other. You thus "criminalize" a targeted group of people with "gun crime" setting the political stage for massive new "crime control" laws which are basically anti-gun, 2nd Amendment nullification laws.

This not going to be a grand, heroic confrontation of one massive anti-gun bill in Congress. This is going to be death of a thousand cuts. It won't be a shark attack, it will be a piranha feeding frenzy stripping the flesh from the bones in thousands of "little bites".

The result will be the same. The 2nd Amendment will be nullified and gun ownership will be criminalized.
It won't happen. This time there are far too many P.O.'ed people out there. Back when Slick was around that wasn't true- today it is.
You're not going to get any of this through CONgress- they are skating on a razor edge right now and all all it will take to go Greece or Romania is a little straw.

JAK

·
Copper Bullet member
5,390 Posts
It won't happen. This time there are far too many P.O.'ed people out there. Back when Slick was around that wasn't true- today it is.
You're not going to get any of this through CONgress- they are skating on a razor edge right now and all all it will take to go Greece or Romania is a little straw.

JAK
I sure hope your right!

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
105,301 Posts

JAK
You are giving them credit for too much smarts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.