Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a review I saw the SGL21 was said to have a weaker pistol grip point compared to the Military issue AK's where it meets the Reciever because of the fact the trigger group had to be moved forward for the conversion.

If you added one of those older type wood pistol grips with the steel plate buffer they have would that cure the problem? Or I've also seen those Draco sling attachment plates that fit inbetween the reciever and the pistol grip. Seems that would add some strength too? Or adding your own custom made buffer? What do you think?

· Platinum Bullet member
3,469 Posts
I think reviewers have to much time on their hands, and need to justify their position by inventing issues which are absolutely bogus and irrelevant.

Has anyone ever seen any AK type rifle of any sort including a SAIGA with a bent receiver due to a "weak" grip mounting point? Not I.

· Silver Bullet Member
464 Posts
SGL by Arsenal are not converted Saiga's in the traditional conversion sense. They are imported in an incomplete state and finished with US compliance parts by Arsenal. The trigger group is not moved from its original location on those recievers. Far as I can tell it looks same as any mil spec AK grip point. Hands down finest AK I have ever fired. So smooth and refined it's hard to believe its an AK.

Agree with mriddick, I would like to know more.

· Silver Bullet Member
8,535 Posts
The Bulgarian and Russian sidefolders did/do have the pistol grip plate. In general treatment I do not see the lack of the plate as an issue in terms of anything bebding. Supposedly it was i place in the event the ridfle was dropped with the stock folded which xcould then impact the pistol grip directly as it is the longest protruding point on the rear of the rifle..
The original plate is spot welded in place and also is secured under the reat rivet on the trigger guard.
It is a fairly simple matter to retrofit a plate by removing the rear trigger guard rivet (this is a special anti-slap rivet) and adding the plate under it and adding an additional rear rivet or simply letting the pistol grip screw and block retain the plate.
Even simpler is to mod the plate so it does not go under the rear of the trigger guard and simply drop it into place under the grip and secure the grip screw.
Not essential nor a hard fix as one wishes.

plate here>
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_122/products_id/2372

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.