Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,673 Posts
From what I've read, you may get faster barrel wear with a boat tail than a flat base. Especially in the throat.

·
Registered
21,221 Posts
Why doesn't Prvi make a 174 gr flat base? I wish they did as it would then be a replica of the Mark VII bullet.

However, up to now, no one makes a 174 gr FB in the USA so the 174 gr BTHP do stunningly in my rifles and hold well at 1000 yds out of my Long Branch No4 Mk1* with 2 groove barrel and PH aperture rear sight. Out to 600yds, they are just the ticket out of my No.5 rifle .

Never say never, I got some Enfields not shot yet and they may bring me pain with 174 gr BTHP.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
I believe they do, but it's not imported into the USA.
I tried to get a petition going to the factory & importer asking for them to either import the component, or better still offer a load, but no-one was interested.

Enfields & boat tails is very variable.
It seems to be mostly with worn 2-groove bores, & not all of them at that. My Savage S/A service- marked No4 Mk1* ran fine with them, by buddy's almost identical one hated them.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Mine likes them-Mine hates them...
They all like FB bullets. With all the LE's out there they could nearly double their sales.
I for one avoid BT's for one simple reason. No matter which rifle I choose to shoot I can grab ammo without worry of making for a miserable shooting day.
Its enough trying to remember which ones like my 220 gr gas check loading.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.