Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First I would like to explain my Moniker,"DemoDon" to any and all who don't like my name.I'm not a Macho blow it up guy,or a Navy Seal.-I work as a Construction Laborer(Union),and for a living I gut the insides of all kinds of commercial buildings down to the bare walls,by cutting,smashing,burning(torches),etc,and out with all the trash.

NOW,that I got that out of the way........I have several problems with my Star A,I could use some help or advice with,as I like the gun,and really do not want to scrap it.

I replaced the Hammer spring with a new OEM one-ok there. I noticed that my firing pin was alittle off center,and it would hang up in the slide.I shot some OLD surplus 9mm Largo ammo thru it,that I got at a gunshow(dated 1945) well,the primers were so hard in that ammo,it actually bent my firing pin!
If as that was not enough,After I put the new hammer spring in,i could not get the safety to stay in place,the safety detent pushes it out!-I ordered a new safety&detent and detent spring, thinking a larger diameter shaft on the safety would keep it in place,But-NO!-It will not stay in, still pops out.-It looks like when it was assembled,the hole in the frame was"staked" abit to hold the safety in.

So now I have 2 problems with the gun-looks like I need a new firing pin now,and the safety will not stay in place!
Any advice is greatly appreciated,does anyone know a gunsmith who is good with Star Super guns?-or someone who can make a new firing pin?,or anyone who has a firing pin they want to part with?-I have heard that the Star A firing pins are different diameters.-Mine is around 4 mm,but have heard guns were assembled with 5,and 6mm firing pins also-which makes it even More frustrating.

This is getting expensive,not to mention buying parts that are not even the Fix!-I wish I would have bought a mdl 1911 Now!!
thanks for listening,
Don

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your reply. The new hammer spring I put in definitely gives the hammer more Umph,it was difficult to replace so I can't see replacing it.I probably should not have replaced it,as the weak strikes were obviously due to the off center firing pin due to that extremely hard primer ammo. I don't see why the new hammer spring would interfere with the safety issue?-It was an OEM part for the Star A
I'm trying to find a gunsmith locally to take a look at it.-But,that is great news,that you can make and fit a new firing pin!!!!!-Do you have an FFL?-If so,I'd send you the whole gun to you.
Many thanks,and I will keep your information for the future.-I probably will be contacting you,after I find someone who can resolve the safety issue.
Don

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The safety lever should have a tiny pin on the back side where the large pin traverses the frame. This small " pin" helps to lock the safety in place. If the pin is missing there is nothing to hold the safety in place. You will see a small notch (keyhole) on the left side of the frame where this pin is aligned while inserting safety shaft. ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally some decent clues.... When I took the gun apart and removed the safety,i didn't see any pin.I ordered a new safety,and it also didn't have a pin attached to the safety.
I see the "keyhole" you are talking about in the frame.-I'm going to look at both safeties with a loop,and see if I can come up with some solution to the problem.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a remnant of a small square on the safety shaft,i cleaned all the gunk and dried grease off all the parts,i disassembled.Used a wire wheel on a dremel tool,didn't remove any metal.i don't see that small square on the new safety.
I'm going to take a closer look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts