Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was zipping around Pa and WV Saturday and after about 500 or 600 miles I came up with the following first the PGCA show in Pittsburg where I got a nice SA marked leather spare barrel case and a repro Vietnam era Bowie knife. Into the car and on to southern WV to an auction where I got a nice 1917 M91 from Sestroryetsk which was Finn matched to the bolt. The bore was nice and shiny with great rifling and a 3/5 inch counter bore. The stock was an old Westinghouse with original Finn dog collars still in place. The English roundel was still visible on the left side of the Butt stock with the Finnish applied initials of VK scratched in next to them. Under the butt plate was an S stamped into the wood. Needless to say the early CAI import had the rifle ID'd as a Russian M91 even though the SA stamping and the D marking said otherwise. The usual remarked rear sight was there along with a mostly Tula marked bolt. Keeping with that the receiver was a 1905 Tula with an old one piece interrupter in place. Much of the original Russian finish was still there and clean up real nice. The bore is above comment with a shine rivaling a new rifle after some light cleaning. I got it for a good price and after that celebrated with a nice Carcano 8 mm and a rough Mauser 43 with Egyptian markings.

I headed back home with a nice haul and a full belly after a stop at the local Mexican casa. Nothing like a 4:30 AM start and a 10:30 PM ending with a pile of Booty. I am sure at least two of the rifles will find their way to the range with the Mosin leading the way. The Mauser may find it's way to a buddy who adores them for a project to keep him out of trouble and occupied. So I had a typical zeebill weekend with most of it seeing beautiful WV scenery on a great adventure trip! Life is good at the zeebill home! Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts