Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Download Attachment:
158.19 KB

I recently sent a rifle to Firearm Solutions (one of our sponsors) to have a new metal finish applied. The gun in question was a CFS (another sponsor) Romanian RPK kit. The kit arrived complete with all parts less the receiver in about 50% condition. The wood was in good shape but I had planned to use a brand new set of RPK furniture on it that I had obtained from another board member. The sore spot was while the kit was mechanically nice and the bore very nice, the outside appearance was less than I desired and with a new receiver it would look odd. I had ordered a RPK receiver from No Dak Spud ( another sponsor-do you see a pattern forming here?) and proceed to have the kit assembled by Global Military Gunsmithing-yet again another sponsor. The assembly went flawlessly and we were ready to do something about the metal finish.
On several occasions I have had GMG place a baked on enamel finish on the weapon as so many of them had. On this rifle I wanted it blued like it was from the factory. ken at GMG had a couple of Yugo m/70 AK's in the shop that he had sent to Firearm Solutions to have blued on customer requests. Prior he had asked me about blueing and who I recommended. I had used several company's in the past and asked him he had tried our new sponsor Firearm Solutions. Well the kits went out to them and when they came back we were both blown away. I knew after looking at the m/70's in thier new factory like blue finish that my RPK was going to Firearm Solutions as well.
I boxed up my assembled receiver/barrel and all of the parts in zip locks and wrapped them in paper before boxing. Off they went to FS for the recommended finish. Drew at FS recommended to replicate the factory finish that a fine bead blast be performed to clean and prep the metal for a hot blue finish. This would result in a deep blue/black matte finish. That was exactly what I wanted. FS blues in batches -so about 2 weeks later I received my blued parts back. The price quoted included shipping and the parts arrived via US priority mail. They were all well wrapped in bubble paper and well packed in the box.

Download Attachment:
145.99 KB

After unwrapping the parts I found them all covered in a light coat of preservative oil. The small parts such as the bolt parts and sight parts were separated into small bags and all parts were oiled. The larger parts were in another bag and those as well were well oiled and the gas piston polished.

Download Attachment:
208.12 KB

Download Attachment:
248.63 KB

It was now time to reassemble the parts on the barreled receiver. My first impression of the blue was WOW! It was exactly what I
wanted, all parts had a smooth finish and the color and metal treatment was uniform and deep. It was as "new". Arriving at Global we found all parts intact and returned. Assemble went on without a hitch and the metal finish was even and very well applied. No amount of effort with a rag or finger was able to even make a smudge on the finish. It was deep and a luxurious dark blue. The fine bead blast not only cleaned the parts but also allowed the metal finish to penetrate deeply.

Download Attachment:
126.68 KB

The gun assembled fine with the help of ken at Global and function was perfect. The trigger group was assembled using a TAPCO set and the magazines assembled with US followers. Overall impression was very positive. The heavy barrel was evenly blued and all parts shared the same deep blue that I wanted.

Download Attachment:
121.99 KB

Download Attachment:
108.78 KB

Download Attachment:
121.81 KB

As you can see the finish matched the No dak Spud receiver to the upper parts of the Romanian kit perfectly. The proper rivets used by GMG to do the assembly even have the same deep blue color and the finish is consistent from part to part. I could not be happier with the quality of the job.

Download Attachment:
194.65 KB

Download Attachment:
124.18 KB

All in all I am ecstatic about the quality and cost of the job. The price was cheaper than other outlets I had used and the quality better than others. If you are thinking of having a firearm professionally blued then look no further than our sponsor-Firearm Solutions. As a gratuity to all of our members they are offering a 10% discount on members work who mention thier membership with Gunboards when ordering. So be sure to tell them that you are a Gunboards member for your 10% discount on already competitive prices. FS offers a wide range of serves from custom mill work to laser engraving and so much more. be sure to check out thier website which can be found by clicking on thier banner on the home page or by the sponsor link found on the drop down at the top of each page. I want to thank all of the sponsors who made this rifle possible-CFS for providing the kits, No Dak Spud for the receiver, Ken at Global Gunsmithing for the assembly help and Firearm Solutions for putting the finishing touches on a grade A+ job. I can't recommend them for your needs enough. I have a family heirloom that got damaged in a flood and i trust them completely to restore the item to its original finish. Check them out you won;t be disappointed!

Download Attachment:
166.62 KB

Download Attachment:
139.07 KB

Download Attachment:
155.43 KB

1 - 1 of 1 Posts