Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this guy up yesterday, early series 6 Nagoya, mum’d and all matching with screw-in cleaning rod. Action screws are still staked and it came with a Kokura bayonet...all for $350.

I usually deep clean, to remove any gunk, cosmo, rust from all rifles I get but since screws are still staked, I don’t plan on it with this one. The pictures below is how it came to me. My question to you guys, how to you preserve a rifle in the stock. Would a light rub with Kroil and brass wool (avoiding the stock of course) to remove any nastiness and a coat of Ballistol do the trick...or is there a better way??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice pickup and GREAT price man! I have a staked series 6 as well, I just used the bronze wool and ballistol method with lots of elbow grease but i'll be watching this for better ways if anyone else chimes in.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This is a real conundrum, leaving the screws staked when there is visible rust, even light rust, elsewhere on the rifle. I get it, I keep them staked too, but at some point the metal will be the worse for it down the road for future owners. And at the end of the day, preserving these is just as much our duty as our delight.

I have a series 35 that is like this, and I haven't taken the screws out, but it needs done to stop the rust that I just know is around the trigger guard edges and perhaps around the sight base. I love stakes screws as much as the next guy, but this practice has a price. I also have another TK that my dad gave when when I was an early teen. He kept it in a closet for years, and there was just a hint of surface rust around the mum. At one point I decided to take the action out to get the rust stopped and metal greased up. I'm glad I did because there was rust elsewhere that would've done no good down the road in 10 years.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I know we all take pride in owning these old firearms, but; I dont believe a properly stored gun will get worse or be a problem down the road. In terms of rust. I would worry about Kroil on a stock. I like the Ballistol idea and very careful application of bronze (not steel) wool. I am kinda guessing. My gut feel from reading online is the Ballistol is safe. What you do not want to do is spray some petroleum based product like RemOil around the metal so that is soaks in around the stock.

No biggie, the more guns get restored (or in this case preserved) the higher the value for those that do not. IMHO, that seems like the actual "down the road" experience. It is kind of stupid and ironic, the more we try and do the right thing, the greater the collector punishment later on.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I know we all take pride in owning these old firearms, but; I dont believe a properly stored gun will get worse or be a problem down the road. In terms of rust. I would worry about Kroil on a stock. I like the Ballistol idea and very careful application of bronze (not steel) wool. I am kinda guessing. My gut feel from reading online is the Ballistol is safe. What you do not want to do is spray some petroleum based product like RemOil around the metal so that is soaks in around the stock.

No biggie, the more guns get restored (or in this case preserved) the higher the value for those that do not. IMHO, that seems like the actual "down the road" experience. It is kind of stupid and ironic, the more we try and do the right thing, the greater the collector punishment later on.
Once rust has started to form, proper storage doesn’t alleviate it. The only “collector punishment” down the road will be for uncared for items. Doing the right thing should include thoughtful, intelligent care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.