Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Gents,

The book that Bane and I have co-authored on the Serbian small arms of WWI is finally finished. This work covers the development and evolution of the different Mauser rifles that were manufactured on contract for the Serbian Army as well as the captured enemy rifles that were used to arm the reserve units of the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Ban Infantry. The M1870 Berdan II was the primary weapon of the 3rd Ban reserves and saw extensive action in the front line trenches during the war. The large supply of Russian M1891 Three-Line Rifles supplied by the Czar at the outbreak of the war are also covered in detail, along with the French small arms issued to the remnants of the Serbian Army on the island of Corfu following “the Great Retreat” through the mountains of Albanian in the dead of winter.

IMG_0022_resize.jpg IMG_0023_resize.jpg IMG_0024_resize.JPG

The 37mm shell in the photo will give you a pretty good idea regarding the size of the book.

Each section covers the rifles, carbines, bayonets and ammunition in detail. You can browse through the complete table of contents in the following photos. An overview of Serbia’s participation in WWI adds context to the different small arms that were in use during the course of the war.

Weapons of Victory Vol.1 T of C- 1.jpg Weapons of Victory Vol.1 T of C- 2 .jpg Weapons of Victory Vol.1 T of C- 3 .jpg

Here are some sample pages taken from the myriad of high quality color illustrations that appear throughout the 460 page book. There are a large number of original period photos taken during WWI, many of which have never been published in western sources.

IMG_0026_resize.JPG IMG_0027_resize.JPG IMG_0025_resize.jpg

Here is where the project stands at this point in time. We have opted to self-publish in order to ensure that the quality of the printed edition matches the effort we put into this work. The hard bound book will be printed on high quality paper throughout and includes large sections of color photos taken of surviving examples from private and museum collections.

We are in the process of trying to determine how many books to print in the 1st Edition, which brings us to the subject of this thread. We are NOT requesting pre-orders and there is no commitment implied. With that said:

If you are interested in purchasing a copy of this book, please PM me or reply below in this thread.

Based on the quality of the paper, the large number of color photos and depending in part on how many books are printed in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Edition, we expect the book to sell somewhere in the $95 to $110 U.S. range per copy including shipping. Books will be readily available in both the United States and the E.U. When we have a firm price we’ll list it here on the Forum.

Thank you one and all who have helped to make Gunboards such a wonderful venue through which we have all expanded our knowledge and pursuit of vintage firearms!

Warmest regards,

Bane & John

PS - Just a quick note.....the book pictured above in this thread is a preproduction mock up and obviously is not production bound.

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
Magnificent! It's fantastic when one of the world's leading collector presents the fruits of many decades of research!

Please, reserve a copy for me as soon as it's out!

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I would be interested.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
I'm in, John. Congrats on hitting the finish line!
Best,
Pat

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello friends,

As one of the authors of the book, I feel the need to thank to all for your interest for our book.
John and I have really tried to do something that has not been seen so far.
The book will provide you with a detailed description of the rifles and detailed information on ammunition as well as bayonets. And for lovers of history, there is in the book an appropriate chapter also.

Here are some additional illustrations from the prototype of the book....

Best regards,

Bane

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Merry Christmas Everyone!

Bane and I are both surprised and humbled by the degree of interest and kind words expressed by all of you in regards to our work. We hope that our efforts will live up to the expectations of everyone who eventually purchases a copy of our book.

Rather than trying to respond to the various comments and questions today, I will post this message on all of the different Forums where we posted the original thread day before yesterday. Tomorrow I will come back and respond to any individual questions that are not answered in this brief post.

First of all, I would like to thank Bane for adding the additional photos that have served to better illustrate the size and scope of the work and the detail that we have included in each chapter over the past three years. As you can see from the photos he added, bayonets and ammunition have received more attention than is typical of many books on historical firearms. The sample of the book as photographed in the posts above was assembled by Bane for use in several interviews in which he appeared on TV in Serbia. WWI was a catastrophic event in the history of Serbia and as such, the Centennial that is now under way receives a tremendous amount of public attention.

Per the number of different folks who have sought confirmation regarding the language in which the book has been written, I can promise you all that the book is being published in English. You won’t have to wade through endless entries into any of the online translators to make sense out the text!

Several people have made note of the “Volume I” that is included in the title and have asked whether or not there will be additional books published in the future. As soon as we have this book printed, we will begin work on Volume II, which will cover the machine-guns and field artillery used by the Serbian Army during WWI. Volume III will include the uniforms, caps and helmets, field equipment, trench knives, hand-grenades and handguns used by the Serbian rank and file and field officers during the Great War. For Volume III we will be photographing a cross section of private collections and museum collections across Europe.

Based on the standard issue Serbian items in use at the beginning of the war, combined with the captured and re-issued enemy equipment, followed by the French rearmament of the Serbian Army on Corfu and the Salonika Front, both Volume II & III will cover a lot of ground!

Per the request of a number of our fellow members, we plan on signing all of the books with one caveat. Books sold within the United States will be signed by both Bane and me, while the books sold in the E.U. will be signed by Bane. If this issue proves to be important enough to folks who purchase the book in the E.U., I could arrange to send signed “1[SUP]st[/SUP] Edition” signed stickers for Bane to add below his signature in the books sold in Europe. Shipping books back and forth across the Atlantic is certainly not a viable option!!!

If anyone has any additional questions, please post them on any of the duplicates of this thread on the different Forums where they have been posted.

Many thanks to everyone! We’ll keep you posted regarding the progress of this effort and exactly when the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Edition appears in print.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Warmest regards,

John & Bane

·
8,095 Posts
I am happy to see that this effort by John and Bane is receiving so much attention. The Serbian forces fought bravely throughout the 4 years of the Great War but receive little recognition for their efforts in the modern era, but the Serbian contribution will receive new attention from this effort and I look forward to this book as well as the next two volumes. Thank you gentlemen, I am sure that the hard work you have done and will be doing will be well rewarded.

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
The Serbian forces fought bravely throughout the 4 years of the Great War
Not throughout all four years... They spent quite some time on the island of Corfu after a retreat with horrendous casualties across Albania.

·
8,095 Posts
Why thank you Nick, you are, of course, correct. Everyone has to stand down for rest and refitting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am happy to see that this effort by John and Bane is receiving so much attention. The Serbian forces fought bravely throughout the 4 years of the Great War but receive little recognition for their efforts in the modern era, but the Serbian contribution will receive new attention from this effort and I look forward to this book as well as the next two volumes. Thank you gentlemen, I am sure that the hard work you have done and will be doing will be well rewarded.
Thank you very much for your support TP !!!
John and I have really made an effort to make the readers of our book satisfied and get more than they expected! We hope it will be so...

Best regards,
Bane

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not throughout all four years... They spent quite some time on the island of Corfu after a retreat with horrendous casualties across Albania.
Hello Gents,

Nick, as always, you are correct. However in the course of writing the over view of the Serbian campaigns of WWI for the book, I was truly surprised as to just how quickly the Serbs rebounded while recovering on Corfu.

Here are three paragraphs from the book that provide an approximate timeline for the reorganization and redeployment of the Serbian Army to the Salonika Front. These paragraphs are not consecutive in the book, however they address the issue of exactly how long the Serbian Army was out of the field.

"On January 8th, 1916, the British and French decided to evacuate the Serbian Army to the island of Corfu without seeking the permission of the Greek Government. Three days later on January 11th, the first Allied troops landed on Corfu. Over the next twelve weeks ships from the British, French and Italian navies transported the majority of the Serbian Army to the island of Corfu. Units of the Cavalry who had manned the defensive perimeter of the port cities were the very last units to depart for Corfu on April 5th, 1916."

"Fear of an epidemic resulted in the establishment of a separate quarantined camp on nearby Vido Island where another 5,400 soldiers died of disease and exhaustion. Thousands more died on Corfu who were so weak that neither food nor medicine could reverse the severe physical effects their bodies had endured during the catastrophic episode. The survivors would require several months to completely recover. Refitting and reorganizing the Serbian Army was going to take time."

"While the Allies were busy making up for lost time in aiding their lesser ally, the hearty Serbs were gradually healing from their ordeal. The Serbian High Command was busy reorganizing the scattered remains of the Serbian Army by consolidating surviving members into full strength units. The evacuation of the Serbs from the Adriatic coast had dragged on for 12 long weeks. As amazing at it seems, the hearty survivors rebounded remarkably well and the timetable for their redeployment was accelerated. In early April, only 10 days after the last cavalry units were evacuated from the Albanian coast, the rejuvenated veteran soldiers were re-equipped and ready to return to the front. On April 13th, 1916 the vanguard of the reorganized Serbian Army departed on British and French transport ships for the Salonika Front."

So on a overall basis, the Serbian Army was not in the field for approximately four months from January through April of 1916. The "Great Retreat" across the Dinaric began in December of 1915. Based on the conditions imposed by the weather combined with continual attacks of roving bands of Albanian tribesmen seeking revenge for their persecution under the Serbs during the Balkan Wars, I would personally consider the army as having been "in the field" during the month of December, 1915. Once committed to the Salonika Front, the Serbs remained in the field until the end of the war.

Hope this info helps!

Happy New Year!

John

1 - 20 of 37 Posts