Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

In my ongoing 5-digit bcd4 "replica restoration" r/c project, I have often wondered about the significance of a few letter stamps impressed in the butt, only visible once the plate is removed. "Kr" and what appears to be a typical Gustloff "1". The only other markings evident on this well-sanded former Israeli stock are a WaA eagle stamp, probably 13 or 18, and capital "V" below in the barrel channel.

Compared to the matching early '44 bcd4, s/n 9315 I once had, which had a similar font stamp but different letter code "Br" date coded 1 12 43, I am curious as to how these letter codes should be interpreted.

Do these indicate as-yet unidentified stock maker codes? I compared these to Claus Espeholt's master list/pdf, as well as two other data lists we all know.

Ideas? I am glad to share more pictures if that will help.

Adam

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Kr and Br marks are the stock blank manufacturers code...I don't know if many if any of these have been correlated to a manufacturer....
I appreciate your comment. It has been a while since I checked into this, and wondered whether any fresh ideas have sprung up. Is it correct for me to interpret the barrel channel WaA acceptance stamp 2-digit code as "18", rather than "13", as references show the 18 acceptance stamp and "a" codes as K98k parts for Gustloff; Nähmatag Dresden (Sachsen)?

The 9315 s/n early '44 bcd4 had no internal/external WaA marks, IIRC.

Adam

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Well, SimsonSuhl is a real expert on WaA stamps, but I believe you would be right, it is most likely an 18...but the stamps did not neccesarily go to one manufacturer/plant, I believe WaA numbers covered an area...so all the manufacturers in a certain geographical area might have the same WaA number...

You see all sorts of markings on the insides of stocks, ranging from none to many. The two letter codes are common, and again represent the maker of the stock blank. I believe some manufacturers, like MO, manufactured their stocks in house (at least early on) and you probably wouldn't find those codes on them. Also the dates are common, some stocks have pencilled on numbers under the buttplates...theres been a few threads on them, and they are covered in "Kriegsmodell"...they appear to be dates, mainly 44, but the way they are written, the resemble the SS runes...leading some to conclude incorrectly that the stocks were somehow SS associated.

You don't see a lot of markings on handguards beyond s/n's...but occasionally you will, I have one solid walnut handguard with a nice E/26 popped into it externally....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.