Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sellier & Bellot® Rifle Ammunition is it any good, I'm thinking of getting some in .303 Brit, I'm just wondering how it is, because it's price is very tempting and in .303 Brit is it the chordite or regular?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its smokeless as its modern ammo but my new unwrapped mk4no2 didnt like it the 150 grain load shot 6 inch groups at 100 yds and it blew a few primers out of the pockets meaning high pressure so I tossed the rest. What I have found that shoots real good is the south african commercial pmp 174 grain loads and they are cheap too at about 7.99 to 8.99 a box I got 1 to 1.25 inch groups at 100 yds with those factory loads. aaron10

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do they make it in hunting loads? because I'm planning on using it in my Long Branch No.4 Mk1* (FTR) (original), I hunt with it and I'm looking for high quality soft points and where can i find it, lol?

·
Registered
292 Posts
The boxes I have are 174 softpoints I`m in ak and I think they still have them at the shop I bought mine at ak shooters supply . I`ll look around online and see if I can find a vendor where you can get some. They come in a maroon colored box and are pmp brand. aaron10. http://www.pmp.co.za/prod04.htm all I could find was pmps website you may have to ask them for vendors in usa as I looked around and it seems everyone is out of the pmp brand

·
Registered
214 Posts
We have quite a bit of the S&B green box Nitro cellulose 174 or 180 grain ball. It is sold at Bisley by the NRA and seems to shoot ok!

·
Gold Bullet Member
377 Posts
FWIW
If you're looking for hunting ammo the Winchester 180gr SP has been very accurate in my No.4 MKI Enfield. It knocked the whitetail I shot flat on it's back - it never got up. Going for about a dollar a pop now tho.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Watch the S&B .303Brit 150 Gr. SP,I was hunting with it and got checked by PA game warden and got a warning about it because it has a steel jacket(PA law states only expandable bullets lead+copper).
I now use Remington or Winchester .303,they both have a $5 a box rebate going on.
PMP is good also when I can find it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Watch the S&B .303Brit 150 Gr. SP,I was hunting with it and got checked by PA game warden and got a warning about it because it has a steel jacket(PA law states only expandable bullets lead+copper).
I now use Remington or Winchester .303,they both have a $5 a box rebate going on.
PMP is good also when I can find it.
That is complete tosh, that ammo if showing an exposed lead tip is designed to expand. The name says it all SP. Some game wardens need to check on the ammo before spouting!
S&B SP is available here and we have the strictest laws possible regarding expanding ammo. That stuff should be fine!
Not even the case is steel its all quality ammo!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I agree it's a bunch of crap,I phoned a complaint in on him saying "it's not legal ammunition",
I stated it's lead core expanding so it should be legal and he should go back to wildlife conservation officer school!
Never heard anything since.
Other than that S&B is excellent ammunition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts