Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Before engauging a fire, It tells me how far apart the houses are, and potential spred of a fire in the next over buildings or blind spots that a good wind can can jump a fire.
I can also place the proper number of hoses and determine where they are laid and to what hydrant they could reach, and get maximum effect for the best suppression.

We have 'community policing" here and citizens arrest. Alaska State Troopers are 2-24 hours away and we plan for active shooters, fire, disasters, and more. The guys covering the arresting citizens engaging or stopping the shooter would be most interested in the distancing.

If its a gun problem, Im not sure if it identifys anyone/thing, but knowing the range not only helps with proper bullet placement, so if you can see the threat and they, say, have a pistol or shotgun and activly shooting, that 200 yards is a good range to engauge if you have a rifle, or other matters like that. An active shooter with a rifle would be delt with in a different manner, and again different if you have a pistol, nd they have a rifle, etc,etc,etc.
The AST has one I made when they have to come around for such.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
been saving not Sharpe can lids from my new can opener.
this summer>
spraying them bright orange and screwing to trees line outlining my hunting trail up in mts.
making trails easy walking brush already cut!
rest will be placed and Lazard for distance. replacing older rusted / gone.
mapping my home stead shooting zones distances...pistol, rifle
things to do think about, locked down, like if were having to lock down broken arrow style thoughts defending homestead? <><

·
Administrator
18,338 Posts
I happen to like pistol caliber carbines for defense. They seem to have lost favor in the last several years but I still like them for intermediate ranges, especially if they use the same magazines as your pistol in the same caliber.

Not everyone knows that purple paint spots on trees means no trespassing and no hunting beyond this point. It's a country thing, and some of you have already mentioned (griped about) city people moving to your remote communities. Those transplants won't know about the purple spots, won't know they were trespassing until you have them proned out on the ground with their ankles crossed and palms up and waiting for the sheriff. Probably better just not to confront or shoot at trespassers who are too far away to identify and converse with. Might just be the new neighbor who was chasing his dog. AmmoSgt hasn't been around for a while so some of you may never have heard of her, but she advocated stringing cameras with intercoms to various sectors of your property / acreage, and having line of sight to the cameras from an over-watch position so you could communicate with trespassers / strangers / interlopers to find out who they were and what their intentions were. Now they have these remote doorbell camera systems with the 2 way talk feature so it should be easier to do than it was many years ago when you'd actually have to string cable through the trees. Somebody walks past the camera the light starts blinking and you're talking to them from your phone through the camera. "Hello, you're trespassing on private property and your picture has been recorded." "Please leave." Or, if you want to know why they are there you can ask them and hope they tell the truth. Much cleaner and less legal hassle that way.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
I happen to like pistol caliber carbines for defense. They seem to have lost favor in the last several years but I still like them for intermediate ranges, especially if they use the same magazines as your pistol in the same caliber.

Not everyone knows that purple paint spots on trees means no trespassing and no hunting beyond this point. It's a country thing, and some of you have already mentioned (griped about) city people moving to your remote communities. Those transplants won't know about the purple spots, won't know they were trespassing until you have them proned out on the ground with their ankles crossed and palms up and waiting for the sheriff. Probably better just not to confront or shoot at trespassers who are too far away to identify and converse with. Might just be the new neighbor who was chasing his dog. AmmoSgt hasn't been around for a while so some of you may never have heard of her, but she advocated stringing cameras with intercoms to various sectors of your property / acreage, and having line of sight to the cameras from an over-watch position so you could communicate with trespassers / strangers / interlopers to find out who they were and what their intentions were. Now they have these remote doorbell camera systems with the 2 way talk feature so it should be easier to do than it was many years ago when you'd actually have to string cable through the trees. Somebody walks past the camera the light starts blinking and you're talking to them from your phone through the camera. "Hello, you're trespassing on private property and your picture has been recorded." "Please leave." Or, if you want to know why they are there you can ask them and hope they tell the truth. Much cleaner and less legal hassle that way.
one of my best cameras at drive paper box, garbage container>
where out of house conversation/confirmation> has sound solar wireless>infer-red night clarity supported with a monition> solar lights for night filming enhancement tied into next door police his system monitored by phone alarm alert entering property down to dog size movement's > amen!
sign under says> "nothing worth your life stealing here:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
We have an open field across the street. And especially this time of year, a 300 yard shot is easily doable. The far treeline IIRC is right around 385 yards away. We checked it once with my son's range finder. Now, our back property line/ the tree line is only about 60 yards away. I have spot lights and a large motion floodlight that lights up my back yard like a football stadium. So anybody foolish enough to attempt to approach from the back will definitely be spotted. In a SHTF scenario, I can see a multi layered approach regarding firearms for our home defense.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
The oldest son has an M1895 Nagant revolver with .32 S&W (the short ones) loaded in it.
It wont shoot through a double panel drywall, so his kids are a little safer with through the perp shots.
As well, its VERY hard to cock or pull the trigger in double action, so again, another layer of safety with his little ones.
....and 7 shots...
Since I dont have a Nagant pistol, Im thinking a sort riot shotgun with light #12 trap loads would do very well, in house.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Not just "City People & the Purple spots".
I've been in the county a lot in several states, NY, PA, AR, OH & MD.
the first time I ever saw them was here in "The Flatlands".
I wondered what they were.
Now at least I know.
Its far from universal.
Its like saying "Fnord" if you don't know the relevance because its not widely known, it means nothing.

·
Administrator
18,338 Posts
Not just "City People & the Purple spots".
I've been in the county a lot in several states, NY, PA, AR, OH & MD.
the first time I ever saw them was here in "The Flatlands".
I wondered what they were.
Now at least I know.
Its far from universal.
Its like saying "Fnord" if you don't know the relevance because its not widely known, it means nothing.
When my buddy painted the purple spots on trees on his perimeter in northern central Florida I told him he better have signs too because not everyone will know what the purple means. He said the signs get shot or torn down or just rust to nothing in the swamp. That's why they use the purple. However, he at least acknowledged my point about the signs. Still, it doesn't help much if you "ain't from around here." So what's Fnord mean?

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Its a Sci Fi nonsense word form "the Illuminatius Trilogy".
they use a lot of them to illustrate the point.

fnord
A fnord is a propaganda word conditioned in the masses from a very young age to respond to, usually with fear, anxiety, or uneasiness, but unable to be seen by the general populace. (This definition originates in the Illuminatus trilogy of books by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson.) Sometimes it's used in a sentence to denote a general conspiracy (often jokingly), or sometimes it's used for no reason, especially by Discordians fnord.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
There are a lot of purple spots on trees around here now that it's law. Most landowners still also use signs as well. Because as we all know the public in general is stupid and won't know, or care what the purple paint means.

·
Administrator
18,338 Posts
I took some archaeology. There was a time when I could read Mayen and Aztec hieroglyphics. Not Egyptian though. No idea what that says, so, here's some useful content for preppers that we can all enjoy.
Food Ingredient Recipe Gesture Dish

Reactions: daveccarlson

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
That was kind of my point, its not really communicating unless the "reader" knows the language, or code in use.
Just because many don't read, write & speak every written & spoken language, on the planet, especially the more arcane ones, does not make them ignorant.
The glyphs are the phonetic rendering of "Ankhesenamun" I just happened to have it filed somewhere.
The translation wasn't really the point, the fact that most won't understand it because the language is unknown to them.

The actual correct rendering would be
Font Material property Symbol Symmetry Pattern

or her birth name, "Ankhesenpaaten"
Facial expression Gesture Font Bird Logo

·
Banned
18,170 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
There have been times when an armed intruder has wandered onto my property and become belligerent when asked to leave, (just because my property isn't posted doesn't mean you can legally tresspass and that you don't have to leave when I tell you too). The police are a good 10 minutes away and don't consider trespassing high priority.

I was mostly talking about making sure you get out and actually measure the distances in an around your home you might find yourself shooting at. I was quite surprised to discover by how much I was overestimating the distance both inside and outside my home.
thats why i checked it years back and updated after clear cutting<>< tin led tops orange will be added seen from windows distancing recorded<><

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
fnord
A fnord is a propaganda word conditioned in the masses from a very young age to respond to, usually with fear, anxiety, or uneasiness, but unable to be seen by the general populace. (This definition originates in the Illuminatus trilogy of books by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson.) Sometimes it's used in a sentence to denote a general conspiracy (often jokingly), or sometimes it's used for no reason, especially by Discordians fnord.

Seems likely here in California we call "fnord" a "fart!" Well characterized as "discordian"! Most aren't exactly harmonious thought I'll just bet somewhere perhaps such a "fnord chorus" featured among You Tube amazing & weird variety!
Maybe your term better too, especially as quietly noting suspicion of such occurrence in situations such as church, funerals, formal dinners - while sober, etc! Even as guilty party sounding somehow better. The term, not the event itself! :) :) :)
Learning something useful as "recording a good day!"
Thanks!
John

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am in the process of building a home rang/backstop for my own private practice. While laying out the shooting distances I was struck with how short 7 yards seemed and also with how long 100 yards actually was. This caused me to take my tape measure to some of the distances I might possibly have to deal with an intruder from. I found it very enlightening. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a tape measure to their house/property in order to compare their range results to what might happen at home.

Here's what I found:

The upstairs has no line of sight that would require a shot as long as seven yards (the most common defensive pistol range distance around here)

The longest possible shot inside my home is 15 yards and that only in a very unlikely set of circumstances.

From my house and immediate surroundings I have no line of sight that goes much past a hundred yards and by that I mean 105 tops.

From this I figure that a rifle has no significant place in my property defense plan and that I am much better prepared than I feared to accurately defend my self from home invasion. Very enlightening, because while I had prepared a plan to clear the house and anticipated what might occur I hadn't actually measured everything out so I could compare it to my range experienc
In normal time simply call the police.
I am in the process of building a home rang/backstop for my own private practice. While laying out the shooting distances I was struck with how short 7 yards seemed and also with how long 100 yards actually was. This caused me to take my tape measure to some of the distances I might possibly have to deal with an intruder from. I found it very enlightening. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a tape measure to their house/property in order to compare their range results to what might happen at home.

Here's what I found:

The upstairs has no line of sight that would require a shot as long as seven yards (the most common defensive pistol range distance around here)

The longest possible shot inside my home is 15 yards and that only in a very unlikely set of circumstances.

From my house and immediate surroundings I have no line of sight that goes much past a hundred yards and by that I mean 105 tops.

From this I figure that a rifle has no significant place in my property defense plan and that I am much better prepared than I feared to accurately defend my self from home invasion. Very enlightening, because while I had prepared a plan to clear the house and anticipated what might occur I hadn't actually measured everything out so I could compare it to my range experiences.

[/QUOTE

In normal times just call the police.

In during extended unrest, you (and the neighborhood watch) will have to control the neighborhood. A map of your area of operation is needed.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
installing alarm solar sensor 3# points on property. pathways drive,
blind spot back of house,
left of right-side overlooking frontals<><
almost 340 degrees cameras covering overages!
not finished solar motion lights supporting same!<><

21 - 40 of 63 Posts