Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
18,222 Posts
laser rangefinder here.
Longest LOS distance 270Yds, but how do you do a friend/foe check?
How do you reliably determine intent?
Right now gunshots are a daily occurrence as is people armed with long guns. Its Goose season.
Closest is about 12 yds in some directions.
Firing without a round exiting the property is problematic.

·
Banned
18,222 Posts
Have a "Range card" for all the distances in my village. paced and then lazer rangefinder confirmed.

I made it for our fire department, home to home, hydrant to hydrant. Gotta know how far that hose can go and how much further the jet will spray.

Yards are yards.
Me too.
How does that work as Identifying a threat before engaging?

·
Banned
18,222 Posts
Not just "City People & the Purple spots".
I've been in the county a lot in several states, NY, PA, AR, OH & MD.
the first time I ever saw them was here in "The Flatlands".
I wondered what they were.
Now at least I know.
Its far from universal.
Its like saying "Fnord" if you don't know the relevance because its not widely known, it means nothing.

·
Banned
18,222 Posts
Its a Sci Fi nonsense word form "the Illuminatius Trilogy".
they use a lot of them to illustrate the point.

fnord
A fnord is a propaganda word conditioned in the masses from a very young age to respond to, usually with fear, anxiety, or uneasiness, but unable to be seen by the general populace. (This definition originates in the Illuminatus trilogy of books by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson.) Sometimes it's used in a sentence to denote a general conspiracy (often jokingly), or sometimes it's used for no reason, especially by Discordians fnord.

·
Banned
18,222 Posts
That was kind of my point, its not really communicating unless the "reader" knows the language, or code in use.
Just because many don't read, write & speak every written & spoken language, on the planet, especially the more arcane ones, does not make them ignorant.
The glyphs are the phonetic rendering of "Ankhesenamun" I just happened to have it filed somewhere.
The translation wasn't really the point, the fact that most won't understand it because the language is unknown to them.

The actual correct rendering would be
Font Material property Symbol Symmetry Pattern

or her birth name, "Ankhesenpaaten"
Facial expression Gesture Font Bird Logo

·
Banned
18,222 Posts

·
Banned
18,222 Posts
That's why I bought & use a good laser rangefinder. It is considerably more accurate than pacing it out even with these.
Pliers Green Hand tool Tool Wire stripper

or triangulating.

·
Banned
18,222 Posts
"Read The Rules", from my post #35, above.
A more polite way of saying RTI (Read The Instructions)
Lets face it if there's no "standard" its easily misunderstood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts