Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a home rang/backstop for my own private practice. While laying out the shooting distances I was struck with how short 7 yards seemed and also with how long 100 yards actually was. This caused me to take my tape measure to some of the distances I might possibly have to deal with an intruder from. I found it very enlightening. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a tape measure to their house/property in order to compare their range results to what might happen at home.

Here's what I found:

The upstairs has no line of sight that would require a shot as long as seven yards (the most common defensive pistol range distance around here)

The longest possible shot inside my home is 15 yards and that only in a very unlikely set of circumstances.

From my house and immediate surroundings I have no line of sight that goes much past a hundred yards and by that I mean 105 tops.

From this I figure that a rifle has no significant place in my property defense plan and that I am much better prepared than I feared to accurately defend my self from home invasion. Very enlightening, because while I had prepared a plan to clear the house and anticipated what might occur I hadn't actually measured everything out so I could compare it to my range experiences.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would also recommend snap caps in your home protection weapon(s), for simulated "live" fire practice. Many years ago after my 1st CCW training, I really got back into shooting. I now have many practice sessions, with freestanding door entryways on my range.
Tony

Reactions: daveccarlson

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
the lights behind them...........im in the dark!

shooting a home intruder at 100 yards? is going to put you in a world of explanation on the hot seat!:cry: here in WVa.
as to "the" why you felt threatened at that safe distance? and didn't call 911 and stay bolted in the house till the police arrived..... that being said....SHTF is different.
Lazar distanced marked trees...85 yards and closer.....300 mag. for all other distances up to 300 yards line of sight eyed out.. all to do is aim and shoot, no hold over required.
in my house all wall sockets have night lights in them.....every entry way is back lit except behind me and the bed rooms.:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There have been times when an armed intruder has wandered onto my property and become belligerent when asked to leave, (just because my property isn't posted doesn't mean you can legally tresspass and that you don't have to leave when I tell you too). The police are a good 10 minutes away and don't consider trespassing high priority.

I was mostly talking about making sure you get out and actually measure the distances in an around your home you might find yourself shooting at. I was quite surprised to discover by how much I was overestimating the distance both inside and outside my home.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
i got your thoughts down now....i have measured access ways up behind the home stead ....and road approaches many years ago..rifle shots neighborer shoots up behind his house too..a vet...a medically retired police officer...no one will get back up the hills. or past our houses.
the other officer lives down off the road 300 yards away.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
i would rethink the rifle has no place in your plans. WRONG. every good home or any other kind of defense needs an AR15 with plenty of stuffed mags. "they" start attacking your house at 100 to 105 yards, what are your plans, hunker down till they run out of ammo? shotgun or pistol to protect yourself. i don't think so.

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
"I would rethink the rifle has no place in your plans. WRONG."

I dunno. Whereas I agree Open Cylinder and #4 buckshot wouldn't be ideal at distance, IMO Wild should be OK with some choke, a few 12 ga. magnum larger-buckshot shells and a coupla slugs....

Alden

·
Registered
181 Posts
After reading several articles on effective ranges vs. loads for a 12 GA I decided to check out my own situation. Started with the known distance to the road, then scaled it over the photo.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
range isn't that important to 300 yards.......for my 300. win mag. on 6 foot targets that are two foot wide ... or ground hogs either!

Reactions: plonker

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I wasn’t aware that a rifle wasn’t effective in close quarters. Both my and my woman’s primary defense weapons are AR15s in 5.56. I can shoot from 1 yard inside the house to 350 yards in the backyard without a problem. “Oh but over penetration!” The nearest house to me is hundreds of yards through thick timber. I’m not going to shoot at an occupied room regardless what caliber I’m using. Over penetration isn’t an issue.

If it’s any time besides when I’m sleeping I have my CC on me anyway

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
There have been times when an armed intruder has wandered onto my property and become belligerent when asked to leave, (just because my property isn't posted doesn't mean you can legally tresspass and that you don't have to leave when I tell you too). The police are a good 10 minutes away and don't consider trespassing high priority.

I was mostly talking about making sure you get out and actually measure the distances in an around your home you might find yourself shooting at. I was quite surprised to discover by how much I was overestimating the distance both inside and outside my home.
Sounds like an excellent reason to post your property - why borrow trouble?

I've seen proposals in some places to make this easier, like making it good-enough to put prominent purple paint marks on trees.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
good points raised here. In my case: 20-ga. and 12-ga. shotguns loaded with No. 3 or No. 4 buckshot are plenty. There are also double-action revolvers on hand too. No kids, so that is an advantage in my own particular situation.

Don't tell anyone, but I don't own an AR. I do have two M1 carbines though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
""From this I figure that a rifle has no significant place in my property defense plan"""

You mean aside from the fact that they generally have more "stopping power" as they say and are usually easier to score hits with?
I think Both those aspects alone make them worth their weight in gold.
The pro of a handgun is often the mere convivence of being able to have it upon your person at any given time.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
laser rangefinder here.
Longest LOS distance 270Yds, but how do you do a friend/foe check?
How do you reliably determine intent?
Right now gunshots are a daily occurrence as is people armed with long guns. Its Goose season.
Closest is about 12 yds in some directions.
Firing without a round exiting the property is problematic.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
103 Posts
You alone on property vs four bad guys.
That is a plausible, realistic scenario.

I would have an AR15 and several loaded spare mags.

Much easier to hit targets under stress with a carbine - and keep them down- versus a handgun.

Try it sometimes.
setup 4 targets randomly arranged
at 10 ft, 12 ft, 15 ft.
shoot it with an AR15.
2 to the chest, 1 to the head.
then try with a pistol.
Decide for yourself.

realize .223 has much more kinetic energy than a 9mm or .45acp.
I keep a 9mm in a push button lockbox next to bed and AR15 in the closet.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'll be putting on my sneakers.

Seriously, if we're talking firefights at 50 or 100 yards (much less 200) that likely means run away is a viable and therefore recommended option.

Just one thing is worth sticking around to protect, and by then hopefully the kids have already skedaddled (cue early sneak-away scene from The Searchers.)

(With an AR if doable, but the Glock .40 in holster on belt with mags is what's in the bedside drawer.) (Running shoes just a couple steps away.)

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Have a "Range card" for all the distances in my village. paced and then lazer rangefinder confirmed.

I made it for our fire department, home to home, hydrant to hydrant. Gotta know how far that hose can go and how much further the jet will spray.

Yards are yards.
Me too.
How does that work as Identifying a threat before engaging?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts