Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife inherited this sword from her Dad. We think it is Austrian made but cannot date and know nothing of why it was with her Dads collection. He had a few items from the Civil War so we were wondering if it might have been used by army/navy during that time. The blade length is about 25 1/2 inches long. Any ideas are appreciated.
Wood Automotive exterior Tool Knife Bumper
Wood Brick Brickwork Wall Font
Tool Everyday carry Gun accessory Metal Wood

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Thanks for your knowledge AndyB. We will keep it with the Civil war collection and at least pretend it was there in some NCO’s hand propelling the troops along!
FS JUNG was a sword and metalsmith outfit in Solingen, Germany. They were known to make blades for the Austrian military but (as Andy mentions) this has no Austrian proofs so it's entirely possible it was imported into the US for our Civil War. Buyers for both sides scoured Europe for arms of all types during that unfortunate period...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
This type of sword was bought and used by many state militia officers from both the north and the south before, during, & after the American Civi War.
Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is actually a M1861 for enlisted men if it was used in the Austo-Hungarian Army. It is sometimes called the M1862 among collectors which to my knowledge is factually not correct. Looking at the 6 pictures you posted I can only see one side of the saber. Are there any markings on the opposite side? Best, Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.