Gunboards Forums banner

Seeking info...Italian Marked Steyr M95's 1/06

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Carcano 
AOI Marked Steyr M 95 Rifle

Michael Jon Littman
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 08:50:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently pulled a rifle out of my collection to drag around to shows for possible sale. I wanted to know your opinions about possible values on this piece. The rifle is branded into the butt with the mark AOI, which I understand is the initials of the Italian Army of the East. Is this correct?

The stocks do show some signs of prior war damage that is consistent with damage I have observed on other rifles in my collection from the same era. The damage takes the appearance of small chunks blow off and inclusions on the wood that seem to indicate damage caused by shell fragments. This damage is finished over and seems to indicate a reused butt/handguard. Both butt and handguard serial numbers do not match. The wood is on good shape with the exception of the small chunks and inclusions with a lined out serial number (no replacement number) and the AOI circular brand in the butt. The barrel and receiver serial numbers do not match. The barrel is numbered 4021k and the receiver is marked 3912x...that is a x suffix and not a replaced number. The barrel is marked with Wn15 but only has one proof marking on the right chamber side. The receiver and barrel finish is starting to plum but is still much intact. The magazine is mostly totally blued.

My conclusions: This M95 is a total rebuild after WWI using older previously used parts and a new/old stock barrel. Question: How did this end up in the hands of the Italian Army? Capture or reparations? The rebuild job does not appear to be consistent with one that has been observed on other M95 rifles, carbines or stutzen in the following manners:

1. No attempt to make the serial numbers match or electropencil the bolt
2. The stocks were not bleached/stripped of finish but appear to have had a new layer of finish applied over the old finish
3. Rifle is still in rifle form and has not been converted to stutzen form
4. Chamber is not S marked; which MAY indicate it has not been converted to the newer chambering..I have not checked yet
5. The metallic surfaces on this rifle have not been dipped blued or prepared for refinish by buffing. Indeed the surfaces appear to indicate original, as made, finish.
6. The overall appearance of the rifle does not look like rifles that I have seen that came out of post-WWI Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary or Austria nor does it bear any indicator markings it may have resided on these countries at any time
7. No import markings

My questions:

1. Is there any way to determine if this rifle was captured by the WWI Italians, given to Italy as war reparations, or captured later by the Italians in Africa, Greece, etc?
2. What would be a ball park value on this rifle?

Mc
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 10:41:50 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doc AV is the expert on these, but I believe the AOI is
the only evidence you will find that this is Italian Eastern Army.
They were issued to the native troops (I believe)and I think it is
very common to find them mismatched.
Value, 200-300 dollars? If you decide to sell let me know,
I would be interested.
Mc

Michael Jon Littman
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 11:39:03 AM
Originally posted by Mc
Doc AV is the expert on these, but I believe the AOI is
the only evidence you will find that this is Italian Eastern Army.
They were issued to the native troops (I believe)and I think it is
very common to find them mismatched.
Value, 200-300 dollars? If you decide to sell let me know,
I would be interested.
Mc
Mc

Thanks for the response. I am secure in the fact that this rifle was in the service of the AOI. What I am unsure of is how the Italians obtained it. Capture in WWI and later rebuild in Italy, from scrounged parts, would account for the battle damage and the abnormal rebuild. On the other hand reparations Post-WWI might also be a possible explanation. I expect that the Italians might have been handed rifles that were not in the best condition by the Austrians. The explanation that this was a WWII capture from Greece or other places does not jive with the time-line. So I am back to my question if this rifle was obtained via WWI capture or reparations?

Devo
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 11:57:09 AM
AOI is the Italian acronym for "Italian East Africa." Italy received a large number of M95s as war reparations after WWI. I don't know if there is any way to differentiate between a captured vs. reparations M95. M95s in Italian service were not converted to 8x56r, so your rifle is most likely in the original 8x50r.

A very interesting find... If only it could talk!

-Devo

Michael Jon Littman
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 1:55:48 PM
Originally posted by Devo
Hello,

AOI is the Italian acronym for "Italian East Africa." Italy received a large number of M95s as war reparations after WWI. I don't know if there is any way to differentiate between a captured vs. reparations M95. M95s in Italian service were not converted to 8x56r, so your rifle is most likely in the original 8x50r.

A very interesting find... If only it could talk!
-Devo
Italian East Africa...humm, I knew that! What in the heck did I write above? OK where was Italian East Africa? Is that present day Somalia/Ethiopia?

Devo
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 3:38:32 PM
Michael,

Italian East Africa (1913-1942)consisted of Eritrea and Italian Somaliland (roughly the northern half of present-day Somalia). Ethiopia was added in 1935. Italy's East African colonies collapsed during WWII from a combination of British invaision and Ethiopian rebellion. Ethiopia regained its idependence and was awarded Eritrea (which much later and after a long civil war became independent). Italian Somaliland remained under British control until 1950, when it became a U.N. Trust Territory under Italian administration. In 1960 it was united with British Somaliland to form present-day Somalia.

Here endeth the lesson...

-Devo

DocAV
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 6:48:37 PM
dear MJL, re Your AOI M95: Africa Orientale Italiana (Italian East Africa) calibre 8x50R; Captured and or Booty(reparations) during & end of WW I; Mismatched barrel to receiver could be either an Italian Post-war refurbishment or wartime (quite common in AOI rifles);

AOI was already a referral to Eritrea (italian colony since 1885) and Somalia Italiana (Southern part,(1905-07)Mogadishu;--Northern part was British--1907...the "Mad Mullah revolt"). In 1936 Ethiopia became part of the African "Empire"; Brit. Somaliland was absorbed in July 1940, but Djibouti (France) remained "Vichy" and was not occupied.
All reverted to British/Ethiopian control by end of 1941, and in 1945, Ethiopia gained partial control of Eritrea; it gained total control (absorbed into the Ethiopian State) in 1960-61.
Eritrea gained its independance in the early 1990s, after a gruelling revolt lasting 30 years. Somalia was under British-UN administration till about 1950, then Italian-UN Admin. till 1960, whereupon the two colonies gained Independance as the Republic of Somalia.

M95 rifles and carbines were the standard issue for native troops raised in both Eritrea and Somalia ( also Schwarzlose MGs) M91 carcanos etc in 6,5mm were only issued to Italian metropolitan troops based in AOI. The rifles for the Somalia units were also marked "C.A.S." (Corpo Arabo-Somalo) on the underside of the wrist of the stock...this signified the issue to the Muslim Somali Corps ("Somali-Arabic Corps") Most Somalis are Muslim (as distinct from the Erireans, who are 50/50 Muslims and Coptic Christians). The Italian Military culture in AOI gave full recognition to tribal religions, observances, and customs, and white officers in charge of "Bande Indigene" (native irregulars, or "Dubats") were expected to inform themselves of all the cultural necessities of living amongst their
troops, who were ably led by long serving native NCOs (Buluk-bashi, or "sgt.major").

Most of these AOI rifles have come from all over, having been sent after 1941 to India (most of them), to Palestine, and dispersed throughout the East African area, as far down as Rhodesia by internal trading and black market. I have several of various parts combinations, including a M90 carbine, several M95 rifles and Stutzen, all with AOI/CAS or Italian Acceptance mark on barrel stub (relief oval with crown and two letters, very small). All were Aussie "bringbacks" from Africa after WW II.(some from new immigrants from Africa since "independance" in many former British Colonies...The "King's African Rifles" which took Ethiopia, was mainly a Native manned Unit.

Regards, Doc AV

Michael Jon Littman
Posted - 10/22/2003 : 7:35:12 PM
I have to say I am always amazed at the amount of information on these forums. Thank you to all whom replied to these questions. I am still dragging this rifle to shows here in Florida, more as a conversation starter than for sale.

I have a few more M95 rifles in my collection that I am going to have to pull out and ask questions about. I know at least one has some unit markings on it. For what it is worth the AOI marked M95 is the crappiest condition one in my collection....even then it is not that bad off. When I place it on the table at shows it does not get much attention. I wonder if that it is because these are just not too many people collecting these in Florida or if the SVT 38, Serbian carbine, etc that it is sitting next to (on LenS's table) make it blush in comparison..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.