Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up an old non-import marked Beretta M1935 earlier today on the cheap that has been beaten up externally but functions great, has a great bore, and is nice on the inside. I'm finding it hard to find info on earlier M1935s. I've read the posting covering the background and distribution of those with serial number 500,000 (starting in 1943) but what about mine which is serial number 461,xxx, dated 1940 on the slide, and commercially PSF proofed in 1941 (barrel is also PSF proofed)? Any idea what her background might possibly be. I saw somewhere that the airforce and navy were big users of these even and that commercial proofs don't exclude military service - it seems late 1940 / early 1941 would be a busy time for arms manufacturing and that most would be sold to the military. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
No surprise that the M1935 functions well even though beaten up externally; the Berettas have an enviable reputation for reliable functioning. I leave it to kanister to comment knowledgeably on your pistol based on the serial number and markings; he's the man who knows. Ralph

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
..... I leave it to kanister to comment knowledgeably on your pistol based on the serial number and markings; he's the man who knows. Ralph
Thank-you, Ralph.

Even if Italy was in war many guns were produced for the commercial market, that means civilian persons but also custodians on big factories, policemen of the municipalities, and many other categories.

You forget to say of the "Era fascista" roman numeral: I bet it is XIX, that will confirm that your gun was produced at the end of the year 1940, post October, 28.
Due to the war times it was proofed on 1941.

Many of these commercial guns were seized during the war: at those times they did not took care of the writing and marks that a gun had if it was a good shooter.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
mchrome25: As Arditi would say, "pictures would help", but if you're as challenged as I am, you may not be able to post! At any rate, kanister seems to have "filled in the blanks" on your piece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts