Gunboards Forums banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I was living in the Raleigh area during the early 2000's and I brought one on those Aztec Mosin carbines for right around $50....I knew at the time that was ridiculously inexpensive and in no way really represented its true value,there was simply an enormous flood of milsurps available in the US and so they were available for next to nothing.Last week I purchased another Mosin refurb down here and paid $470 for it,and I am happy enough with that I reckon that is probably more in line with its true worth,considering their history and the pleasure I would get from owning it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've always been a milsurp type accumulator of stuff. But the kind of prices being asked in today's milsurp market place has left me in the dust. I've bought some well made repro holsters to keep some of my shooter Lugers, P.38's, Mauser, Walther, Colts etc. pistols in to keep them from being scratched or marred. I was ridiculed for buying anything repro. but I sure didn't want to take an original WWI or WWII holster out to a range where it could get scratched or even stolen if I weren't very careful. So go right ahead guys / gals keep picking up those $500 holsters and $2000 pistols. You'll just keep the value of my original stuff going up that I picked up many years ago for a pittance compared with prices today.
I would advise not storing your guns in leather holsters. Leather holds moisture.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I was front row center during the milsurp floods from 89 thru 2005 (?). Having seen what happened up to the 1968 GCA i took every advantage i thought reasonable at the time and glad of it.
Same here. It was obvious that historical rifles like Mosins and Enfields were ridiculously undervalued. So even though I didn't have a lot of money at the time, I bought whatever I could afford, And every time Iook at my collection, I pat myself on the head.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What is funny about this thread is I have actually seen the opsit lately. 😅

Don't get me wrong the glory days of surplus are long past, but it seems like the market is starting to stabilise post covid and election rush. Actully starting going to gun shows again, locally we are starting to see a lot of people digging stuff out of the back of their safes once again. Online market still sucks though.

Lots of strange things showing up locally and reasonably cheap. Lots of Finns 100+ under market, m91s 200+ under market, weird ammo like gp11 and 30-06 on clips both by the crate and under market. Was even talking to annouther member from here who picked up a fairly rare magazine for under a 1/5 of current market.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Don't get me wrong the glory days of surplus are long past, but it seems like the market is starting to stabilise post covid and election rush. Actully starting going to gun shows again, locally we are starting to see a lot of people digging stuff out of the back of their safes once again. Online market still sucks though.

Lots of strange things showing up locally and reasonably cheap. Lots of Finns 100+ under market, m91s 200+ under market, weird ammo like gp11 and 30-06 on clips both by the crate and under market. Was even talking to annouther member from here who picked up a fairly rare magazine for under a 1/5 of current market.
no matter how many guys show how expensive gun hardware is as sure as the turning of the earth a guy will swim against the tide and tell people where he went prices are coming way down??? is it some sort of affliction? :)

·
Gold Bullet member
12,866 Posts
I spray leather holster insides with ballistol or WD 40. it is almost the same as wrapping a silicone rag around a pistol
I’m afraid that this is not a good idea, if for no other reason than the damage done to the leather holsters. Leather, because of the tanning process and the chemicals involved, simply does not “play well” with metal. The exception being some of the modern virtually impervious finishes like Nitride or the various epoxy based paint products.

In addition to the rust concerns related to the tanned leather, leather is subject to absorb ambient moisture. And even if the holster doesn’t facilitate corrosion, the repeated insertion and removal of a nicely finished handgun is inevitably going to cause edge wear from contact with the (usually) roughly finished leather interior of the holster.

I hope you will reconsider.

Reactions: fullchoke

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts
I’m afraid that this is not a good idea, if for no other reason than he damage done to the leather holsters. Leather, because of the tanning process and the chemicals involved, simply does not “play well” with metal. The exception being some of the modern virtually impervious finishes like Nitride or the various epoxy based paint products.

In addition to the rust concerns related to the tanned leather, leather is subject to absorb ambient moisture. And even if the holster doesn’t facilitate corrosion, the repeated insertion and removal of a nicely finished handgun is inevitably going to cause edge wear from contact with the (usually) roughly finished leather interior of the holster.

You are correct Sir! Keep those holsters separate.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts

Had (15) long boxes from U-Line and have one remaining. So not counting the hand guns this forum consumed something from the "Secondary Market". Some friends below that left...

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m afraid that this is not a good idea, if for no other reason than the damage done to the leather holsters. Leather, because of the tanning process and the chemicals involved, simply does not “play well” with metal. The exception being some of the modern virtually impervious finishes like Nitride or the various epoxy based paint products.

Ballistol was used to condition leather . one of its many uses

·
Registered
564 Posts

I think it was in the Smithsonian where leather preservatives were applied to keep holsters from drying out and remain pliable, and that process has backfired. Their holsters are degrading, and they were in a somewhat panic mode how to correct it. I ended up not applying anything to mine. I wonder where we are today with leather preservatives? I definitely would stay away from anything petroleum based.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,866 Posts
Ballistol was used to condition leather . one of its many uses
I can’t respond at the moment but I’ll return and post my reply just as soon as possible.

·
Registered
200 Posts
no matter how many guys show how expensive gun hardware is as sure as the turning of the earth a guy will swim against the tide and tell people where he went prices are coming way down??? is it some sort of affliction? :)
I mean it really just depends what your looking for, and where you are at. Local markets vary ALOT.
Locally, Soviet Mosins are still up like 40-60% compared to pre-covid and quite the pain to find. East block mosins, M1891s and most Fin mosins are running about the same prices they were pre covid or even lower and have been popping up quite a bit.

That is ignoring inflation which means the ones that stayed the same price are actually cheaper now.😅

Had (15) long boxes from U-Line and have one remaining. So not counting the hand guns this forum consumed something from the "Secondary Market". Some friends below that left below...
I should say online market still sucks for buyer. Still great if your a seller, but not as great as it was.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts
I mean it really just depends what your looking for, and where you are at. Local markets vary ALOT.
Locally, Soviet Mosins are still up like 40-60% compared to pre-covid and quite the pain to find. East block mosins, M1891s and most Fin mosins are running about the same prices they were pre covid or even lower and have been popping up quite a bit.

That is ignoring inflation which means the ones that stayed the same price are actually cheaper now.😅

I should say online market still sucks for buyer. Still great if your a seller, but not as great as it was.
If I were in a buying mode it seems there is a good selection between Tuco's Trader & Empire Arms (both are "on line"). I call both of these sources "secondary market" because these are "milsurps" coming out of private collections. All things considered they are reasonably priced in the current market as people sell them off from when times were much more plentiful.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts

You just described may table at the local gun show the past 3 months.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Estate auctions are the best way to find them around here. The only problem is since covid hit they went online only & you can't look over the gun before you buy. You only get a few pictures of the gun to go by & the bidding usually is high priced.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been looking for one actually since 2009-2010 or so, back then, I remember seeing some WOW examples of '25-'28 Tulas. I was in high school at the time though, and back then they were going for about $250-300 or so, a regular 91/30 was $100-150. All I could scrape together at the time I used to get a 1935 Tula in a laminate stock (keep in mind the recession was particularly bad here). I hadn't started looking for one again until the spring of 2019 off and on, but since early 2020, I've been looking about 3-5 times a week. I missed the boat when a large batch of early Tulas came in late 2016, and now it's like they never even existed, except for the lesser examples. I actually had a 1926 Tula from when I bought a guys collection in August of 2020, but I sold it because the bluing wasn't great, nasty import mark, and rough looking wartime stock. Nowadays the problem isn't that I can't afford one, it's you can't even find 'em.
Are you talking actual Dragoon rifles or ex-Dragoon rifles? Actual Dragoon rifles are pretty much impossible to find in anything near the condition you are talking about at any price-ever. Best you can usually do is finding one in decent shape that got imported from Spain way back in the day or one of the Finnish capture ones.
Ex-Dragoons are neat but a whole different animal.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Are you talking actual Dragoon rifles or ex-Dragoon rifles? Actual Dragoon rifles are pretty much impossible to find in anything near the condition you are talking about at any price-ever. Best you can usually do is finding one in decent shape that got imported from Spain way back in the day or one of the Finnish capture ones.
Ex-Dragoons are neat but a whole different animal.
Looking for a nice ex dragoon. Really the problem is I'm just very picky, I've seen quite a few come up, but they aren't to my standards.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts