1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AP

Seattle police fatally shoot armed history buff

Sat Jan 3, 1:12 am ET
SEATTLE – A college student dressed in a vintage German military uniform who was fatally shot by police on New Year's Day was a harmless, eccentric history buff, his family and friends said Friday.
Miles Murphy, a University of Washington senior, was shot several times at his apartment early Thursday after police said he pointed a rifle affixed with a bayonet at officers and refused orders to drop the weapon.
Seattle police had converged on Murphy's apartment after receiving complaints that several men were firing rifle and shotgun rounds into the air. Murphy emerged from inside and pointed what was later identified as a World War II Kar 98 German infantry rifle at the officers, police said.
When he refused several orders to drop the weapon, two officers fired seven shots, police Officer Jeff Kappel said. Murphy was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he died.
A witness told some officers at the scene that Murphy had been firing blanks that night.
Police searching the house found alcohol, live ammunition and a large collection of German, Russian and Nazi memorabilia including photographs and uniforms, Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said.
But Murphy "wasn't a Nazi," Hattie Taylor, a friend, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "He was just fascinated with the past... He liked to dress up and have fun."
Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske called the situation "truly sad" but stood by the officers' actions. "Right now, I don't see any other choice that they had," he said.
The two officers who fired at Murphy were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure.
Murphy, 22, was a senior Germanics major, university President Mark Emmert said in a statement Friday mourning his loss.
Murphy wanted to be a German literature professor and had a large collection of WWII memorabilia, said his friend Spencer Bray.
He was "a peaceful and loving young man," his mother, Dianne Murphy, told the local newspaper.

·
Administrator
12,128 Posts
...harmless, eccentric history buff...
"Harmless"? Is that the first thing that comes to your mind when facing someone, pointing a gun at you? I certinly wouldn't think of it as being "harmless".

·
Registered
378 Posts
Another example of why guns and alcohol don't mix. Sad.
Yeah... It doesnt say he was drunk, but i cant imagine why he wouldnt drop the weapon when ordered to do so by armed police unless he was pretty sloshed.

I just hope we dont start seeing stories about how local police heroes shot and killed a fascist nazi criminal armed to the teeth with assault rifles. :mad:

A shame.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
It sounds to me like this 'armed history buff' reenacted the fate of many Nazi soldiers very well indeed. Dope.

Keith

·
Gold Bullet member
4,337 Posts
I am deeply sorry for the family (as well as the officers) in this incident. It could have been simply avoided. Someone pointing a firearm at a police officer seldom has long to live. There is no way to determine the status of the weapon or the intent of the person holding it. Brandishing the weapon is itself a crime alone in most places.

There is a whole category of folks who have failed to learn that when a policeman draws his weapon (or a taser) and orders you to do something: YOU COMPLY. The time to "sort things out" is after the situation has de-escalated or in court. The only up side of the whole sad affair will be the possible for others that might be inclined to show the same bad judgement.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,912 Posts
I just hope he was not one of our fellow members.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I am wondering if there might be MORE to this story than that reported in the article. I am sorry, the story reads like copy from a Seattle Police Department PIO.

My story:
A few years ago I got a knock on my door at 12:30 am on a New Years eve. I see about 5 Homestead Police Officers outside in tactical gear with a dog. They scream for me to open the door. Before I open the door I ask to see their ID through the window. I call the Police and ask if they have officers in my yard and they said yes. So, at that point I walk outside to talk to the now agitated LEOs. They demand to know where the shotgun is that they claim I have been shooting off all night. They have long guns in their hands. I told them that I do not shoot guns off into the night sky and have not shot any guns off that day. They ask to enter. I saw no. They ask if I own firearms and I tell them that is not their business. Meanwhile they had their dog sniffing me while two or three cops are searching my yard with flashlights looking for empty shell casings. At one point the LEO assigned to my neighborhood shows up and tells the others I am not a problem and to knock it off. They leave and he tells me that one of my neighbors called in a complaint saying I was shooting a shotgun at their house all night. He knew it was bull because he knows my criminal illegal alien neighbors. He laughed at me and says, "... if it were you shooting it wouldn't have been all night, just a few quick bursts of well placed shots..." We had a good laugh and I let it go. I called La'migra on the neighbors a few days later and had the last laugh. In the end I wonder how that little evening would have read if a damned reporter had gotten hold of it?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
It's Evolution in Action

It's very sad, but gravity always wins.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
"He wasnt a nazi".
Correct, he was a fool.

·
Registered
125 Posts
police ????

From what was told on this discussion board - it seems to me that the police officers were not justified in fatally shooting that young man. An old bolt action WW2 surplus rifle - while dangerous - did not represent an emminent, life threatening situation for those cops. They could have easiliy talked their way to a safer situation. They could have just waited longer at a high state of alert. We obviously don't know all the facts here, but this smells a little

·
Registered
523 Posts
From what was told on this discussion board - it seems to me that the police officers were not justified in fatally shooting that young man. An old bolt action WW2 surplus rifle - while dangerous - did not represent an emminent, life threatening situation for those cops. They could have easiliy talked their way to a safer situation. They could have just waited longer at a high state of alert. We obviously don't know all the facts here, but this smells a little
No not dangerous at all....only used by the German military in WWII to kill a whole hell of alot of people...

easy for you to say in your comfy home sitting at your computer

"high state of alert" ... I like that that's rich

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am wondering if there might be MORE to this story than that reported in the article. I am sorry, the story reads like copy from a Seattle Police Department PIO.

My story:
A few years ago I got a knock on my door at 12:30 am on a New Years eve. I see about 5 Homestead Police Officers outside in tactical gear with a dog. They scream for me to open the door. Before I open the door I ask to see their ID through the window. I call the Police and ask if they have officers in my yard and they said yes. So, at that point I walk outside to talk to the now agitated LEOs. They demand to know where the shotgun is that they claim I have been shooting off all night. They have long guns in their hands. I told them that I do not shoot guns off into the night sky and have not shot any guns off that day. They ask to enter. I saw no. They ask if I own firearms and I tell them that is not their business. Meanwhile they had their dog sniffing me while two or three cops are searching my yard with flashlights looking for empty shell casings. At one point the LEO assigned to my neighborhood shows up and tells the others I am not a problem and to knock it off. They leave and he tells me that one of my neighbors called in a complaint saying I was shooting a shotgun at their house all night. He knew it was bull because he knows my criminal illegal alien neighbors. He laughed at me and says, "... if it were you shooting it wouldn't have been all night, just a few quick bursts of well placed shots..." We had a good laugh and I let it go. I called La'migra on the neighbors a few days later and had the last laugh. In the end I wonder how that little evening would have read if a damned reporter had gotten hold of it?

Armed police responded to a call of a guy shooting a shotgun at a house....now that is shocking!!...and I can see that they all should have known that they were going to Mikey's house! how stupid of them...seemed like it resolved itself just fine, I can see how it is so similar to this situation , especially the part where you said you answered the door holding your shotgun...

and if youre claiming that any news media, especially a Seattle news media outlet, one of the most liberqal cities in the US, is pro police it will be the very first one I have ever heard of

guys and gals this is tragic all the way around no doubt, but c'mon police are human beings tasked with a difficult job, I dont see how, based on the information, that they could have or SHOULD have done anything differently, their lives are worth something too...and remember hindsight is always 20/20

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
From what was told on this discussion board - it seems to me that the police officers were not justified in fatally shooting that young man. An old bolt action WW2 surplus rifle - while dangerous - did not represent an emminent, life threatening situation for those cops.
I think you are absolutely and completely out of touch with the real world. 8mm Mauser pointed at the police? in the middle of the night? Suicide by cop. Totally justified imho.

·
Registered
64 Posts
An old bolt action WW2 surplus rifle it may be, but to those officers, the moment it was aimed at them, it became an imminent threat to one or both of them. The officers couldn’t know if it was loaded or not nor could they know what his intentions were, and I seriously doubt that they cared what type of rifle it was. All that would matter to the officers is that they had a guy, who refused several orders to lay down his gun, aiming a gun at them; I doubt that they wanted to try to talk to the guy when all he had to do in their eyes was pull the trigger.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
From what was told on this discussion board - it seems to me that the police officers were not justified in fatally shooting that young man. An old bolt action WW2 surplus rifle - while dangerous - did not represent an emminent, life threatening situation for those cops.
Sorry, 8mm will easily penetrate body armor, T111 siding or car windows. That rifle represented a real threat.

Keith

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,541 Posts
and if youre claiming that any news media, especially a Seattle news media outlet, one of the most liberqal cities in the US, is pro police it will be the very first one I have ever heard of
No kidding. I have a buddy who left the Seattle PD because of the witch hunt mounted after he killed a guy who was making a SECOND run with a truck at him and his partner. The partner was lying dazed in the road after the first assault. The finger pointing came from the local councilors as well as the media. With that sort of backing, I'd have quit, too.

I think Michael's point is not might that the Seattle media are pro-police, but that they are vehemently anto-private gun ownership.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts