Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two or three years I decided to get a front sight hood for my M96 rifle. A search with eBay and elsewhere on the internet reveals several, but the merchants state there is no spring included with the hood...is this spring something I need? Liberty Tree Collectors says nothing about a spring however they are sold out of the sight hoods!.
Any help/advice is welcome, thank you.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,220 Posts
The springs are very fragile and many have been broken off by ham handed shooters and collectors such as myself. They usual fit snug enough to where the spring is not needed but not always. Remember if you shoot a lot and for whatever reason need to play with the windage and the front sight the hood must come off. The spring usually gets broke off this way.

Reactions: 130784

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The springs are very fragile and many have been broken off by ham handed shooters and collectors such as myself. They usual fit snug enough to where the spring is not needed but not always. Remember if you shoot a lot and for whatever reason need to play with the windage and the front sight the hood must come off. The spring usually gets broke off this way.
Thank you sheep, I believe I may just move on and forget about it!

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,691 Posts
It is a flat spring that is bent to fit into the 2 square holes on the side . The front end of the spring falls behind the front sight base . It has to be pushed outward in order to slide the hood off . There is no source for those springs that I know off . I saw one of those small aluminum cans with maybe dozen springs in it long ago . I have never seen any since that one time . The hood can be a tight or lose fit . You can squeeze the hood with a pair of pliers wrapped in tape or leather until you get a snug fit if the spring is missing .

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a flat spring that is bent to fit into the 2 square holes on the side . The front end of the spring falls behind the front sight base . It has to be pushed outward in order to slide the hood off . There is no source for those springs that I know off . I saw one of those small aluminum cans with maybe dozen springs in it long ago . I have never seen any since that one time . The hood can be a tight or lose fit . You can squeeze the hood with a pair of pliers wrapped in tape or leather until you get a snug fit if the spring is missing .
Thanks Mr Swede, I was wondering if that could be done. So on second thought I will order one and try that!

·
9,691 Posts
Be careful bending the hood . It is easy to bend to much & it won't fit . It is hard to expand the hood again unless you turn a steel or brass plug to force into the hood & expand it .

·
9,691 Posts
Worth looking at Numrich Gun Parts for the spring at $5 each :

Plus $5 shipping for one spring .

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The wife got a sight hood ordered for me this evening, should be in by the 28th. I'm gonna try squeezing it within a leather strap as Swede suggested (thank you Sir) and if it doesn't go as planned I'll order the spring.

My thanks to all for your suggestions/comments...that's the main thing I like about this forum, having professionals so willing to help!

·
9,691 Posts
These hoods are probably packed in a box or crate . I have seen them bent up & need to be straightened out before they could be installed . Wait & see what you get first !

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I said before it's a snug fit, it took a small amount of force to put the hood in place and is not likely to fall off. I held the rifle muzzle down and slapped the stock several times with my hand and the blows had no effect.

My thanks again to each of you!

snug

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
There may be some wiggle room from side to side . So , you may need to center it up to the front sight blade .
You are right about that Sir! There is very little movement to it but I did have to twist it around a wee bit to center it up. I'm going to order the spring via the link you sent me just to prevent issues with it later, in fact I'll probably get two and keep one in my parts box since Sheepdawg said they are prone to break.

I'm glad to have it as it does stop glare on the front sight and it's much better than burning a match under it to put carbon on the blade. I do that with my SKS carbines as their sight cover isn't as efficient in keeping glare off the posts as this Swedish cover does. The Russians and Yugoslavians could have learned a thing or two from the Swedes in that respect!

Again I thank you, sheepy and the others for your response and help

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.