1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Author Topic
SD Hunter
Gunboards Premium Member
USA
104 Posts
Posted - 09/03/2005 : 10:00:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was in a local gun shop today and came across a rifle which I never heard of. The reason that it caught my eye is that the stock is very similar to the Husqvarna 1900, dark blond with a rosewood tip. The following is printed in script on the left side of the action: Schultz & Larsen Rifle Company. Next line: Otterup, Denmark. To the right: M65DL. To the left is the number 9013 which I assume is the serial number. On the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver: 308 Norma Magnum. Next line: Twist 10".

The bolt has a very short lift and there are three holes drilled in the top of the bolt.

Condition of stock is 90%; condition of blue is 80%; action is excellent - very tight; could not determine the condition of the bore.

On the top left side of the receiver is a bolt release which is very similar to the Ruger.

Priced at $599.00.

I would be interested to know more about this rifle if anyone can help. I am not interested in buying it.

Thanks,

SD Hunter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always stand on principle, even if you stand alone. John Quincy Adams

sbhva
USA
1477 Posts
Posted - 09/04/2005 : 12:25:26 AM
Contact "kriggevaer" of this forum as he knows about them in general and this rifle in particular.

BTW, he is a "neighbor" of yours.

Steve

kriggevaer
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 09/04/2005 : 03:59:22 AM
My ears were burning - I thought someone was talking about me! Actually, Ummimak knows a lot more about S&Ls than I do, but they are my favorite rifle, civilian or military, and I have two of them. The M65DL was introduced in 1960 and was a major improvement over the Model 54J and Model 60 rifles and a lot of attention was paid to what the American market wanted in a rifle. The action is a rear locking lug, four lugs as a matter of fact, and is one of the strongest and smoothest actions on any gun, even with the long bolt and receiver. They are an extremely good rifle. And, as you saw on the action they were made at S&L Geværfabrik in Otterup, Danmark. The blueing is the best I have ever seen on a firearm. The stock wood was often a distinctive golden colored walnut with rosewood grip cap and forend tip.

The .308 Norma Mag is an interesting story all by itself and actually was one of the first .30 caliber magnums to be developed commercially. That old, and wonderful wildcat, the .30-338 Mag greatly inspired the .308 NM. Norma sent quite a few reamers to the USA and the only commercially available cartridge was from Norma. The .308 NM is a very good cartridge, but Winchester introduced the .300 Win Mag soon after the .308 NM came out and had better marketing judgement than Norma did at the time. The .308 NM was mostly available in custom built guns or premium rifles like the S&L and, SBHVA will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some of the upper end Husqvarnas were chambered for it too. I do not know how many M65DL rifles were produced, but mine has a serial number just over 10,000. It is also chambered for .30-06.
The .300 Win Mag of course won the commercial competition, and the .308 NM was never that popular in the USA, which is unfortunate. On paper any way, the .308 NM has better ballistics than the .300 Win Mag. Kind of like the difference between Beta and VHS video formats.
See how I am - you dropped a nickel in my S&L slot and now I can't stop. Anyway, one thing I have noticed about S&L rifles chambered for .308 NM on the ones I have inspected, throat erosion seems to be common, which I think is due to hot loading the cartridge. The Norma rounds were plenty hot by themselves and the temptation to hot rod the .308 NM was great. And this is back in the mid to late 1960s when people tended to think maximum loads were the way to go. Every now and then you will run into a 65DL that has been re-barreled to .300 Win Mag from .308 Norma with an American made barrel. This is like putting a Chevy motor in a Ferrari. Since S&L barrels are some of the finest made.
Anyway, maybe Ummimak will jump in here and provide some more info. I got to go to the gun locker and get my S&L
kriggevær

SD Hunter
Gunboards Premium Member
USA
104 Posts
Posted - 09/04/2005 : 09:47:18 AM
Kriggevaer,

I have sent an Email to you.

SD Hunter

Always stand on principle, even if you stand alone. John Quincy Adams

tedcoleman
Starting Member
USA
4 Posts
Posted - 06/15/2006 : 11:35:43 PM

being my 1st ever reply to sdhunter as per the schultz and larsen 65dl --i have hunted with a number of the 65dl rifles and have taken deer-elk-antelope with them -i just like the way they feel - i have 5 of them- and have hunted over 30 years with them - schultz and larsen is known for exceptionally accurate barrels- the 378 weatherby mag was built on a schultz action-look it over the action not only looks and feels strong it is----probably one of the strongest i have had remingtons and winchesters shoot well after working up loads --my 308 norma is a tac driver --norma loads aren't cheap at 75.00+ currently i'm looking for a 65dl in 30-06 --i hunt varments with my 68dl 22-250---antelope with a 65dl in 243--mule deer with my 65dl 270 --i have a 60dl in 7rem mag-- it was a 7x61 sharp and hart a previous owner had rechambered for 7 rem --all of these rifles all of these rifles are 30 years old or more and still shoot like new--good luck

ted coleman

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 06/16/2006 : 12:27:43 AM

Hello Ted,
Glad to see another Schultz & Larsen shooter/enthusiast on the forum SBHVA and Petter tolerate the two or three of us that think the S&L rifles are some of the finest ever produced. Right now I have a M65DL in .30-06 and M54J in 6mm Remington. Fantastic rifles
kriggevær

minnesota nimrod
Starting Member
1 Posts
Posted - 08/23/2006 : 11:40:04 PM

I'm looking for information on an S&L 68DL. Can anyone tell me details about this model, and how these rifles tend to shoot. I have several bolt rifles, but am not at all familar with the S&L line. Any information / advice on what to look for or avoid would be appreciated.

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 08/24/2006 : 05:44:26 AM

Hello Minnesota,

The S&L M68DL is a very high quality rifle and if it is in good condition the equal or better of any rifle produced then or now. Generally, Schultz & Larsen rifles are very accurate. One of the things to check for is if the rifle has been re-barreled. An original barrel will have been stamped with "Otterup, Denmark". I'm starting to find that S&L rifles that were originally chambered for 7x61 Sharpe and Hart or .308 Norma Magnum were rebarreled by their American owners to a more popular American cartridge. This is unfortunate, because those two cartridges are very good ones and rebarreling, in my opinion, lowers the value.

One of the quirks of the Model 65 and 68 rifles is the spacing for the scope mount screw holes. They are quite far apart and sometimes, depending on the scope used, extension rings or bases have to be used to fit the scope.

All the materials used to build S&L rifles are of exceptional quality. The original stock finish was a gloss varnish, but I am not certain of the type of varnish.

S&L triggers are adjustable for sear engagement, weight, and overtravel and are match grade quality. Another thing I find with the rifles is that previous owners couldn't resist fiddling with the adjustments and sometimes the trigger pull weight is extremely light, but can be adjusted to something a little more practical.

I hope this helped, I could get a little more specific if I knew the caliber. If you decide not to buy the rifle, let me know because I would be interested in it myself

kriggevær

tedcoleman
Starting Member
USA
4 Posts
Posted - 01/25/2007 : 10:52:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kriggevaer

My ears were burning - I thought someone was talking about me! Actually, Ummimak knows a lot more about S&Ls than I do, but they are my favorite rifle, civilian or military, and I have two of them. The M65DL was introduced in 1960 and was a major improvement over the Model 54 and a lot of attention was paid to what the American market wanted in a rifle. The action is a rear locking lug, four lugs as a matter of fact, and is one of the strongest and smoothest actions on any gun, even with the long bolt and receiver. They are an extremely good rifle. And, as you saw on the action they were made at S&L Geværfabrik in Otterup, Danmark. The blueing is the best I have ever seen on a firearm. The stock wood was often a distinctive golden colored walnut with rosewood grip cap and forend tip.

The .308 Norma Mag is an interesting story all by itself and actually was one of the first .30 caliber magnums to be developed commercially. That old, and wonderful wildcat, the .30-338 Mag greatly inspired the .308 NM. Norma sent quite a few reamers to the USA and the only commercially available cartridge was from Norma. The .308 NM is a very good cartridge, but Winchester introduced the .300 Win Mag soon after the .308 NM came out and had better marketing judgement than Norma did at the time. The .308 NM was mostly available in custom built guns or premium rifles like the S&L and, SBHVA will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some of the upper end Husqvarnas were chambered for it too. I do not know how many M65DL rifles were produced, but mine has a serial number just over 10,000. It is also chambered for .30-06.
The .300 Win Mag of course won the commercial competition, and the .308 NM was never that popular in the USA, which is unfortunate. On paper any way, the .308 NM has better ballistics than the .300 Win Mag. Kind of like the difference between Beta and VHS video formats.
See how I am - you dropped a nickel in my S&L slot and now I can't stop. Anyway, one thing I have noticed about S&L rifles chambered for .308 NM on the ones I have inspected, throat erosion seems to be common, which I think is due to hot loading the cartridge. The Norma rounds were plenty hot by themselves and the temptation to hot rod the .308 NM was great. And this is back in the mid to late 1960s when people tended to think maximum loads were the way to go. Every now and then you will run into a 65DL that has been re-barreled to .300 Win Mag from .308 Norma with an American made barrel. This is like putting a Chevy motor in a Ferrari. Since S&L barrels are some of the finest made.
Anyway, maybe Ummimak will jump in here and provide some more info. I got to go to the gun locker and get my S&L
ted coleman

tedcoleman
Starting Member
USA
4 Posts
Posted - 01/25/2007 : 11:28:15 PM

Ted to kriggevaer--as you can see Iam not very sharp when it comes to the net--sorry about that-- have been shooting the schultz and larsens for over 30 years once in a while i have found one in a cal..that I'm not interested in--I rebarrel --next one will be a varmiter in 204 ruger- I have a friend with a 60dl in 761 and a later 378 weatherby--not sure which action was used -seems that the basic difference in the models that I have is the safety-- the 60s are 3 position like that of a winchester m70 --the 65dl pushes down 2 position and my 68dl are 2 position pushing forward--I'm going to try and aquire both of them--would you know if its possible to import a rifle from canada --to the U.S--ffl maybe--

ted coleman

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 01/26/2007 : 12:44:24 AM

Hi Ted - good to hear from another S&L fan - I believe it is possible to import from Canada. I would recommend getting it touch with Simpson's Ltd (www.simpsonltd.com) or Leroy's Big Valley Guns. Both of these dealers are experts in importing guns and should be able to help you out. Just a caution, importing can be complicated and expensive, so be prepared to pay extra for the gun.
kriggevær

sbhva
USA
1477 Posts
Posted - 01/26/2007 : 09:56:56 AM

Importing from Canada will not be near as expensive as importing from Europe since there is no air freight involved, but it is still complicated and takes time for all the red tape.

Steve

TXRANGER
Starting Member
USA
7 Posts
Posted - 03/01/2007 : 10:05:58 PM

I AM INTERESTED IN LOOKING AT ONE OF THESE RIFLES. MY DAD HAD ONE WHEN I WAS I WAS GROWING UP. MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN FINDING ONE IN .243

R Holt

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 03/01/2007 : 11:05:35 PM

Hey Howdy TXRanger, No need to holler, we'll help you out What kind of info are you looking for? If you handled your Dad's gun you know they are very high quality rifles. They have some quirks, nothing negative or bad, just different. The M65DL represents some substantial improvements from the M54J and the M60 rifles. Two things to take a look at when considering buying one - make sure that the rifle functions well and it has all its parts and pieces. Spare parts are virtually non-existent. The original Schultz & Larsen, also known as Otterup Geværfaktori/Geværfabrik was sold and shut down around 1994. The new company is in Rask-Moelle, Denmark and makes a very different, but still high quality, rifle.

The other thing to watch for is that it has its original barrel. This is easy because it will be marked on the right hand side just ahead of the receiver and will be stamped Schultz and Larsen, Otterup. It is not unusual to find these rifles rebarreled because, I'm speculating here, that the rifle was originally chambered in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart or .308 Norma Magnum and ammo for those chamberings was expensive and hard to come by in the States. Welcome to the forum and check out the Swedish rifles too, can't go wrong with a Scandinavian rifle.

kriggevær

TXRANGER
Starting Member
USA
7 Posts
Posted - 03/02/2007 : 9:17:25 PM

I did'nt mean to yell. I'll try to keep it down. haha I am interested in finding out how popular these rifles were, because I haven't been able to find many people that are familiar with them. I do know that they are very high quality pieces. and Dad's was very accurate. I was hoping to possibly be able to aquire one in .243. Also are mounts still available for them since they are no longer produced. I would also like to know their approximate cost in the late 1960's. This is when my dad aquired his I think
R Holt

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 03/02/2007 : 10:34:35 PM

Hey TXR, Well, in terms of numbers of rifles sold here in the USA that is an unknown, but a guess would be a few thousand. The highest serial number I've seen is in the 10,000+ range. The distributors changed three times and there wasn't a lot of publicity about them. But, they gained an exceptional reputation and the actions were, for a time, prized by benchrest shooters. In 1958 the Model 60 was priced at $160.00 and in the mid to late 1960s the Model 65DL and 68DL were in the $300 range. Current prices for the new Rask Mølle S&L rifles is around $3,500.
They were chambered in .243, but I have not seen many for that round. I have one. Scope mounts (Weaver, Redfield, Conetrol) are still available and actually, Schultz & Larsen was one of the first companies to produce rifles drilled and tapped from the factory. When it comes to finding one in the caliber you want that is just going to take some time. S&L rifles don't show up that often on the gun auctions and the ones in Denmark tend to stay there. If I run in to one I can give you a heads up through the forum here. Good Luck!

kriggevær

TXRANGER
Starting Member
USA
7 Posts
Posted - 03/03/2007 : 10:37:43 AM

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!!!! THANKS FOR YOUR SPEEDY REPLY TAKE CARE HOPE TO TALK SOON..............

R Holt

sbhva
USA
1477 Posts
Posted - 03/03/2007 : 11:50:58 AM

TXRANGER;

You might want to head to Tulsa the end of this month for the big gun show. There are usually a couple at the show and I seem to recall a .243 that has been at the show for several years now.

Steve

TXRANGER
Starting Member
USA
7 Posts
Posted - 03/04/2007 : 10:18:42 AM

Hey thank for the information Steve. That is only a couple of three hours for me and might be a nice weekend trip. Do you remember about how much they wanted for it?

R Holt

sbhva
USA
1477 Posts
Posted - 03/04/2007 : 11:19:44 AM

No, I am not interested in them, but a buddy of mine is. If you have never been to Tulsa, you can't appreciate the size of this show. It takes more than a day to see the whole show if you are moving fairly quickly - 3800 tables.

Steve

TXRANGER
Starting Member
USA
7 Posts
Posted - 03/05/2007 : 8:15:41 PM

yeah, a buddy of mine has told me about it and said it is HUUUUUUUGGGE, but it was one not to be missed. thanks again for the informatione it is much appreciated.

R Holt

Carcano
Moderator Italian Weapons Forum
Germany
1040 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2007 : 3:02:03 PM

I have been absent without leave for a long time, and am not yet back. Reasons of world politics sadly forced me to abstain from Gunboards.

But the Schultz & Larsen topic incites me to briefly show up again, while my dosimeter is running.

I recently acquired a rather rare Schultz & Larsen, namely a fully stocked m/42 politiriffel serial no. 549. It has been sporterized a bit, alas (no handguard, no barrel band, rubber buttpad, reworked stock), but I have can live with that, because the Police Rifle was ultimately nothing more of the "semi-militarized" version of the earlier model 38 Schultz & Larsen hunting rifle.

Still have to restrain myself from lightly shaking my head about the plunderingsbart magazine, operating like a snapping turtle; but apart from this quirk, it is not so different from the M 91 Mosin-Nagant magazine.

Now I only need 8x58RD factory ammo :)

Carcano (back for 10 minutes)

Alexander Eichener
Email: [email protected]
Carcano Website: http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano

Edited by - Carcano on 06/17/2007 3:02:59 PM

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2007 : 11:30:09 PM

Hello Carcano and Welcome Back - Good to see you posting. I just posted some photos of my RPLT 42 up in the picture section. The photos show the rifle in its sporting stock, but I have since put it back into the military stock. Ah Yes! The bear trap magazine! There must be a kilogram or more of steel in that magazine. Your rifle has the earliest serial number I've seen for the RPLT 42. I have one complete rifle and parts for several others and the serial numbers are all in the 1000-1300 range. A reliable source has told me that very large numbers of the RPLT 42 were sold to Vapen Depoten in Sweden after World War II. I know of several that have been destroyed also, so they are extremely rare rifles. They are very rare in Danmark also. I have heard rumors that there were a good number of them that were imported into Canada, but I have not been able to confirm that information. And you are correct, the RPLT 42 was stamped on the Model 38 rifles and there are some people that mistakenly think the RPLT 42 is the model number. Hunter's House in København has shown a m/38 on their website. There may be more complete information about the m/38 and RPLT 42 rifles coming out of Danmark in the next few months, but no certain date for that yet.
Factory 8x58RD ammunition may be very hard to obtain. Norma loaded the catridge for several years, but has long ago discontinued it. If you reload, then it will be easy to make ammo. Buffalo Arms here in the USA carries brass cases.

kriggevær

M954
Gunboards Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted - 06/18/2007 : 9:41:02 PM

Shultz & Larson still make rifles, the quality is custon and so is the price but hot damn they are nice!!!
Check out there webpage and droooooooooooool!
http://www.schultzlarsen.com/

"A question never asked is an answer never learned".

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 06/18/2007 : 10:13:04 PM

Hi M954,

The original family owned S&L factory and company in Otterup was sold in 1994. The company was sold to new people and some of the equipment was moved to the town of Rask Mølle. The new S&L brand rifles are completely different from the original rifles, although I believe S&L barrels are being produced on some of the old equipment. The Model 97 has a conventional forward lug receiver unlike the originals that had the rear lug actions.

I have not had an opportunity to inspect one of the new S&L labeled rifles, but if I remember correctly, Pettson was messing around with one They are certainly expensive, starting at around $3500, but it remains to be seen if the new company deserves the reputation of the old one.

kriggevær

Carcano
Germany
1040 Posts
Posted - 06/19/2007 : 2:28:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kriggevaer

There may be more complete information about the m/38 and RPLT 42 rifles coming out of Danmark in the next few months, but no certain date for that yet.

Oh, good to hear. Does that mean that you have contacted the local archive in Otterup?

Alexander Eichener

Carcano
Germany
1040 Posts
Posted - 06/23/2007 : 4:01:17 PM

I will soon order the book that has been published a few days ago. In the meantime, I have written an email to the Rigspolitiet (Udrustningssektion), and hope that they might answer me, concerning the RPLT 1942 rifles.

Alexander Eichener

Carcano
Germany
1040 Posts
Posted - 06/23/2007 : 8:59:49 PM

Here is the picture of my own gun. It was auctioned in Sweden befre, but I bought it from a German dealer:

http://widforss.chiaro.mrfriday.com/auktioner/bilder/13/V04_280.jpg

Alexander Eichener

kriggevaer
USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 06/24/2007 : 12:52:28 AM

I hope the Rigspoliti has some documentation. I have been told that the RPLT 42 was never issued to the police and the rifles were in storage in Otterup until after the war. Production began in late 1942 and ended in early 1943 when the Nazi occupiers cracked down on the Rigspoliti and disarmed and imprisoned many of the police. So, perhaps the RPLT was not allowed to be issued. At this time, S&L was also being forced to produce some things for the Nazi war effort and were being watching very closely by the occupiers. One of our colleagues on the forum says that most, if not all the rifles were sold to Vapen Depoten in Sweden soon after the end of the war. It also unclear how many of the rifles were produced. Some say 600, some say 1000+. The highest serial number I have seen was 1320 and the lowest number I have seen was 528. I have parts from several rifles with serial numbers in the 1200-1300 range.

I have put my RPLT back into a complete military stock and have saved the reworked stock, so it is in authentic configuration now. I think the butt pad on yours was probably done by a private owner, as the re-worked stocks from Vapen Depoten had a solid plastic type butt plate installed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello fellows,

Is anyone here still interested in Schultz & Larsen rifles?? If so there is now an group dedicated specifically to them under Yahoo Groups. It is "Schultz_Larsenrifles". Enjoy!

30 Newton

1 - 2 of 2 Posts