Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I purchased a Nagant from a collector that interested me. It's a 1932 Tula that appears to be correct and original. It does not seem to have ever been rearsenaled in any way. However, it is import marked in a manner unfamiliar to me. It simply says "RUSSIAN" on the top strap. It does not have any other typical import marks such as caliber, name or location of importer.

The closest import marks that I've seen are the import markings that Sam Cummings stamped on firearms imported from Spain. Those markings, however usually consisted of "Made USSR", "Made URRS" (understood to be a typo), or simply "USSR" or "URRS" I realize this is a stretch, but is there any possible way this Nagant was imported from Spain? Any other suggestion as to who imported this revolver and from where? Thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/000_1501.jpg?t=1276401824

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I wouldn't guess SCW but maybe Finland (not all were SA marked) or some other European country. This one was probably brought in in the 1960s when the ATF was still figuring out how the guns were to be marked at import. I would not say England as they reproofed everything before export.
1932s are interesting due to the sight and other changes. Can you tell me if it has the notched front sight and the approximate serial number? The lowest I've seen with the late model sight is about serial 51,000.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could determine which country this Nagant originated from, but I guess I'll never know exactly. Regardless, it's a great revolver.

I'm glad you brought up the sight issue. I almost posted a separate post regarding the front sight. It has the earlier semi circular front sight, and it's serial number falls in the 20,000 range. What other changes occurred that year? I was comparing mine to figure out some, but about the only other change I saw was in the checkering pattern on the hammer. Anyways, heres a full pic of the 1932 and a few others.

The top revolver is the 1932 Tula. Middle is a 1919 (rearsenaled import), and the bottom is a 1914 (rearsenaled import)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/000_1505.jpg?t=1276441837

Top one in this photo is a 1941 Tula (rearsenaled import), middle is a 1940 (non reworked, no import marks), and the bottom is a really rough 1938 (also non reworked, no import marks). I'm still working on that one since it was messed with by the previous owner. At least they didn't try to rechamber the cylinder like I've seen on some early imports.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/SwingingSniper/000_1504.jpg?t=1276441837

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
The most noticable 1932 change is the sights. The front got the notch and the rear sight was changed to a 'U' shaped slot from the 'V' shaped slot. The AC mark was changed at the sight change. This happened around serial 50,000. The hammer didn't change so if it isn't like the picture below, it has been changed out. Look for a "fat star" mark on it.

1932 dated hammer and a period "fat star" marked hammer
The other major period changes are the change to the loading gate in 1928 and the welded 2 piece ejector rod in 1929. There is also a possible rifling change to the barrel that I am currently trying to chase down.
Joe

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My 1932 Tula has the round front sight, finer checked wood grips, fat star hammer. My hammer checkering is different from the above pics though.

An import marked gun...anything could have been replaced on it I suppose

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.