Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this legit?
Value?

1936 Izhevsk
USSR on rear sight base, no US import mark
Pre-war stock is sanded to a blonde color with maybe a very light varnish
Metal is turning grey with an even patina
Front globe sight, round inside with no flat base

Receiver and buttplate match, bolt and floorplate do not.

When it is talked about in regards to the rear sight being pinned, does that mean on the outside of the base?
I can't see any pins on the base.

Here are my two biggest hangups with this, the obvious Finn hangers and there appears to be some Finn putty on the stock, I also see no remnant of the Spanish flaming bomb.
Look at the left side right above the finger groove and at the heel of the butt.

The magazine appears to have much more finish than the rest of the rifle.

Is it possible someone took a SCW and married it to a Finn 91/30 stock?

·
Administrator
8,498 Posts
That rifle has been listed for about 6 months, like Matt said, Finn hangers on a SCW rifle with a heavly sanded stock. ( by who though is the question)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh, Ok, I'm going to pass then.

(Is it listed here?)

I don't have a SCW so I didn't really know how bad they sanded the stocks, the ones I found pictures of posted here didn't look so blonde.

Thanks guys, I'll save the cash for something else.

·
Administrator
8,498 Posts
Eh, Ok, I'm going to pass then.

(Is it listed here?)

I don't have a SCW so I didn't really know how bad they sanded the stocks, the ones I found pictures of posted here didn't look so blonde.

Thanks guys, I'll save the cash for something else.

No it's not list here, it's listed over on GI, I have seen some SCW rifles that have been sanded heavly before, but this one just doesn't look quite right to me.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,467 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Feel free! If you had a dime for every 3 letter abbreviation or word I frustratingly tried to search you would be a rich man! I use Google all the time. I use Gunboards all the time. Did not occur to me to use the two together. Now I am reading threads from 2007! You just opened up 7 more years of knowledge to me.

I assume this tip is in an obvious place in a sticky somewhere.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
No it's not list here, it's listed over on GI, I have seen some SCW rifles that have been sanded heavly before, but this one just doesn't look quite right to me.
OK.....Gotta ask. What is it exactly, Miller, that doesn't look quite right? My curiousity has me going.....enlighten please. Anybody else can add their 2 cents in as well.......

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,546 Posts
Ha! First time I saw that rifle listed it was $265.

·
Administrator
8,498 Posts
OK.....Gotta ask. What is it exactly, Miller, that doesn't look quite right? My curiousity has me going.....enlighten please. Anybody else can add their 2 cents in as well.......
The finish on the rifle doesn't look like anything I have seen on SCW rifles, looks more like something done after import to clean up it's appearance. The other auction pic's ( not shown in OP) also show signs of the metal having been cleaned up with some fairly course steel wool, something the Spanish certianly didn't do.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The finish on the rifle doesn't look like anything I have seen on SCW rifles, looks more like something done after import to clean up it's appearance. The other auction pic's ( not shown in OP) also show signs of the metal having been cleaned up with some fairly course steel wool, something the Spanish certianly didn't do.

That's why I ask the experts before I buy something I'm not familiar with ;)

I looked at about two dozen pics of SCW's and none had a blonde stock.
I could almost see someone breaking the wire hangers and then picking up some Finn ones to "replace" them, but that color of the stock really had me concerned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts