Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the many knowledgeable people on this forum, I IDed the Mosin I just picked up as one almost assuredly sent as aide to the Republican forces during the Spanish Civil War. I’m very happy to have added one such specimen to the collection and hope you guys enjoy the pics I snapped of it today.

The stock was originally in a rough state having likely been “cleaned up” at some point in the decades since its importation in the late 50s or so but after rubbing in a coat of boiled linseed oil the wood has really started to show its beauty.

Before vs After

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looks better that way. I have that sanded stock as a feature on my site, but to be honest I’ve never seen actual evidence it was done during a Spanish refurb. It was mostly old hearsay from people that caused me to add that. Might have to remove it to be honest.

I’d say it’s a SCW rifle most likely. Yours falls into a range of other non refurbed, non Finn marked 1937 Izhevsk. I’ll share some of my serial number research later. I’ve been tracking 1936 and 1937 dated M91/30s since around 2011 or so.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I like your photos of the two SCW veterans side by side on the mealie bags.
The BLO seems to have restored that stock!
Shooting Shooting sport Soldier Stock photography Recreation

Certain famous author helping a Republican with his 1891.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.