Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked into my local gun store today to see if anything was new other than the dust and spotted some different 91/30's next to the new Russian refurb rack. First thing I noticed on 3 of them were oddball cleaning rods, plus it was apparent the stocks had been sanded and one had some kind of odd wood that maybe related to Birch but was hard to tell .Checked the great 54r site and it says there Spanish Civil War rifles. Are these Spanish rifles hard to find ? Thanks Bil B

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,803 Posts
Well, you just found three of them. :)

Seriously, yes, they are difficult to locate. Those without import marks are prized a bit more highly, if only because they don't have import marks.

What price is the shop asking for them? If you don't want them, send me the information, and I may try to pick one up. i don't have a SCW in my collection yet.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
They ain't really rare, but it has been a long, long time since they were imported. If you are choosing one, make it the one with the flaming bomb/MP8 stock cartouche. Hopefully at least one has that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SCW rifles were $ 150 and one might have been $ 175 , I'll try to get there tomorrow to find out. The others were Finn marked 91/30's which I need to take a better look at also, there hard to say no to .

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Well, you just found three of them. :)

Seriously, yes, they are difficult to locate. Those without import marks are prized a bit more highly, if only because they don't have import marks.

What price is the shop asking for them? If you don't want them, send me the information, and I may try to pick one up. i don't have a SCW in my collection yet.
Without the characteristic "Made in USSR/URRS" import mark or the MP8 stock cartouche, it would be pretty hard to state that these are SCW rifles.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
I could identify a SCW rifle pretty easily without those two features.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,603 Posts
The SCW rifles were $ 150 and one might have been $ 175 , I'll try to get there tomorrow to find out. The others were Finn marked 91/30's which I need to take a better look at also, there hard to say no to .

Three SCW's and Finn marked 91/30's ?? Oh boy, would I have gotten in trouble there!

·
8,789 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Without a doubt.

·
8,789 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Do tell!

Poot
As I have always maintained throughout the years, it takes several characteristics to make a determination of a SCW rifle over something else.

It can be a combination of characteristics without any of them being the "USSR/URRS" or MP8 cartouche.

1. Sanded to death look fo the stock
2. Spanish cleaning rod
3. Year 1936 or 1937 (if a 91/30- can be any year if a M91 or Dragoon)
4. Sling swivels
5. Spanish replacement handguard
6. Blade front sight(too late to be orig. manuf. on the 36 or 37 dated 91/30's)

·
8,789 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the matter for me. I don't remember any on-line resources offering such a comprehensive list; this is very helpful.

Poot

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the matter for me. I don't remember any on-line resources offering such a comprehensive list; this is very helpful.

Poot
Are you being sarcastic? I think Ted has something very similar on his site. If he doesn't, he should.

·
8,789 Posts
Are you being sarcastic? I think Ted has something very similar on his site. If he doesn't, he should.

?????????????????????????????????

No, I wasn't. If Ted has this long a list of SCW rifle attributes, then I'm not aware of it. Read my message and take it just the way it reads - literally. By the way, I was thanking you for taking the time to respond in such helpful detail to someone who lacks the knowledge you have. That's why I asked you to respond.

Poot

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Thats why I hate the internet sometimes. Sometimes, as evident to me, I can't tell if people are being sarcastic or not. I've even seen this where people try to act dumb and try to see what kind of "expert" someone is. Then to turn around, just waiting to jump on em' and prove em' wrong. Not saying that you were, Im just saying, sometimes the internet lacks the personalness and you can perceive things the complete opposite as meant. Like this for example. No harm, no foul. Im glad I could shed some light on something for you. :)

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sean, Your advice helps me out also, as every little tidbit of info helps out. The one SCW with the funny wood had been so sanded I didn't think it looked right. The other one was only mildly sanded. When you say sling swivels, do you mean like the Finns had ? I'm going to the store tomorrow morning to see how much trouble I can get in. I walked in there once before and came out with 3 Finns. Its all part of the addiction...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts