Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snagged this, today. Bolt mismatch with a one inch counterbore. Who would have scrubbed the crest and counterbored the muzzle, Romania, Russia or Yugoslavia?

The guy had two, the other had a mismatch bolt in the E series.

Attachments

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,462 Posts
Nice piece.I say Romanians.These all showed up with the instructie's,the 91 Mosins and the 22 trainers.To me Yugoslavia would have turned this in to a Vz-24/52C,the Russians would be refinished with shellac and stove paint on buttplate plus electric penciled bolt SN,and the SN stamped parallel to stock heel not parallel to buttplate.All the ER-to RR and so on were the Romanian contract.The small CM proofs on bolt and all that.None of this stuff showed up with the tons of Yugoslav stuff and even back in the old days only Carol & Michael marked rifles showed up Rarely but not ground with the 60s import yugoslav stuff that was worn and with cyrillic stock carvings.Just my .02

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Just like the bolsheviks scrubbed imperial markings from their 1985 Nagant Revolvers, the Romanian Communists wanted to remove all references to the monarchy...

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,941 Posts
But on Mondays and Fridays they let a few slip through only partially scrubbed.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But on Mondays and Fridays they let a few slip through only partially scrubbed.

Regards,
Bill
No such luck. Both examples this guy had the crests obliterated.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
Nice piece.I say Romanians.
I concur. It doesn't have any of the hallmarks of the Russian or Yugo Vz. 24s.

the Russians would be refinished with shellac and stove paint on buttplate plus electric penciled bolt SN,and the SN stamped parallel to stock heel not parallel to buttplate.
Not necessarily. Here's a Russian refurbished Romanian Vz. 24. It doesn't have a shellacked stock or stove paint, and it has a serial number stamped parallel to the buttplate. (You can also see the dark rebluing on all the metal, and the EP'd bolt.)

·
15,941 Posts
Not necessarily. Here's a Russian refurbished Romanian Vz. 24. It doesn't have a shellacked stock or stove paint, and it has a serial number stamped parallel to the buttplate. (You can also see the dark rebluing on all the metal, and the EP'd bolt.)
What you have is a Romanian refurbed VZ24, not Russian.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,941 Posts
Are you sure? It came from the latest batch of Vz. 24s from AIM Surplus in 2012: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MausVZ24

Those were advertised as Russian refurbed, and had similar qualities to RC K98s, so that seems to fit.
Being advertised as Russian does not make them Russian. Aside from being reblued and some bolts having electropencil serial numbers, they have nothing in common with RC K98k rifles. The stocks are usually new and they frequently have a Romanian stacking rod in place of the missing cleaning rod.

Russia did not refurb VZ24 rifles.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
Russia did not refurb VZ24 rifles.
At all?

While after further digging, it does seem more plausible that these are Romanian instead of Russian refurbished Vz. 24s, I find it hard to believe that the Soviets did not refurbish any Vz. 24s.

They must have captured tens of thousands of Vz. 24s, including Vz. 24s from Romanian units, Vz. 24s from Slovakian units, Vz. 24s used by German units, and G24t rifles used by German units. Why would they have chosen to keep, refurbish, and stockpile one type of Mauser (K98) but simply scrap or give away another type (Vz. 24/G24t)?

Also, keep in mind that we've seen shipments of RC K98s with straight bolts, some of which are off of Vz. 24 rifles. So that means that they at least kept and refurbished the bolts off some Vz. 24s. Why not the whole rifle?

·
15,941 Posts
At all?

While after further digging, it does seem more plausible that these are Romanian instead of Russian refurbished Vz. 24s, I find it hard to believe that the Soviets did not refurbish any Vz. 24s.

They must have captured tens of thousands of Vz. 24s, including Vz. 24s from Romanian units, Vz. 24s from Slovakian units, Vz. 24s used by German units, and G24t rifles used by German units. Why would they have chosen to keep, refurbish, and stockpile one type of Mauser (K98) but simply scrap or give away another type (Vz. 24/G24t)?

Also, keep in mind that we've seen shipments of RC K98s with straight bolts, some of which are off of Vz. 24 rifles. So that means that they at least kept and refurbished the bolts off some Vz. 24s. Why not the whole rifle?
While I really shouldn't say that Russia refurbed no VZ24 rifles, I can say with confidence that no refurbed VZ24 rifles are known to have been imported from Russia/Ukraine.

What did Russia do with them? A few bolts were used in RC K98k rifles. Maybe some trigger guards and floorplates, too. Perhaps Russia gave them to Romania. Or melted them down to make tanks.

Refurbing only the most numerous type of rifle captured is called standardization.

Regards,
Bill

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
Did all of the Romanian VZ24's have electro penciled serial numbers on their bolt?
No, and not all were as thoroughly refurbished as the recent batches.

Here's another one. It's an older import which lacks the heavy rebluing, and does not have a scrubbed/EP'd bolt. The bolt and buttplate were not blued, and it has its original stock, not a later replacement like many of the more recent imports.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
The later replacements show very little use, and were made from a lighter colored type of wood with a more open grain (beech?). They're also slightly thicker than the original stocks, especially in the grip area.

You can see the color difference between the original handguard and the newer replacement stock:

·
15,941 Posts
Did all of the Romanian VZ24's have electro penciled serial numbers on their bolt? Mine has it but the bolt is not blued like RogueJSK
I have only seen electro penciled numbers on the recent (nicer) Romanian VZ24 refurbs. I have two of the recent refurbs; one has electro penciled bolt numbers and the numbers on the other bolt are force matched stamped.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have only seen electro penciled numbers on the recent (nicer) Romanian VZ24 refurbs. I have two of the recent refurbs; one has electro penciled bolt numbers and the numbers on the other bolt are force matched stamped.

Regards,
Bill
Well mine is not considered "nice" and it has it. Does not bother me since headspace checks out fine. Is the one with the electro pencil have a blued bolt?

·
Registered
603 Posts
The later replacements show very little use, and were made from a lighter colored type of wood with a more open grain (beech?). They're also slightly thicker than the original stocks, especially in the grip area.

You can see the color difference between the original handguard and the newer replacement stock:
I see they reblued everything. This was not done by the importer was it? I have never seen in person a VZ24 that has been refurbished like yours.

James

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
The most recent batches of Vz. 24s brought in by PW Arms in 2012 had all of the metal reblued with a dark bluing, including the buttplate, bolt, and stock disk. Many of them had the bolt scrubbed and EP'd to match the receiver, and some had newer replacement stocks and/or handguards.

I highly doubt it was done by the importer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.