Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
The Egyptians (perhaps more accurately the "United Arab republic) did have quite a few M48BO rifles, but this lot of rifles from Egypt was slightly different than the current BO rifles , suggesting that they were produced to a contract specification that was not the same as most M48s. The Egyptian BOs have blued bolts and buttplates and a marking disk cut out on the side of the stock. These rifles were imported by Century in 1987 (immediately after import of military surplus rifles resumed after the 1968 GCA ban was lifted), along with Egyptian FN49s, Hakims, Helwans and a billion rounds of Egyptian 8mm. Most of these rifles appeared unused, as did many of the FNs and Hakims.

· Registered
300 Posts
Yes, I do. I looked over several dozen of these rifles at Old Sacramento Arsenal in about 1988. OSA said Century imported them from Egypt along with the fn49s and Hakims that they were also selling. That is the only documentation. They are different than the currently imported BO M48s. I did an informal serial number survey some time ago and the #s interleave with Syrian and Iraqi M48s. They tend to be in the V block and early W block.

· Registered
300 Posts
The serial number survey I did was before the recent large batch of M48s was imported from the Balkans that started coming in about 6 years ago. The only thing obvious is that there were no single contiguous blocks of discrete BO, Syrian and Iraqi rifles. They were all mixed in with large gaps between them. Part of the problem is that I didn't have than many serial numbers, but from the ones I had, you could make these conclusions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.