Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a roll with new acquisitions lately. I picked up a Egyptian FN49 (8mm Mauser) and a real nice Venezuelan contract FN49 in 7mm Mauser. The Egyptian is import marked but the Venezuelan has no import marks, has a low serial number and has an uncut handguard. Both came with the gas wrench also. Anything I should know about these old gals?
IMG_E2835 by vintage collector, on Flickr
IMG_E2836 by vintage collector, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The stock on the Egyptian looks like a Century made replacement stock. Is the gun matching, or is it a century parts build?

Reactions: tazaroo

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Time to sashay over to Wet Dog Publications and order a copy of Wayne Johnson's fab reference book on the FN-49. Best $75 you'll ever spend.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stock on the Egyptian looks like a Century made replacement stock. Is the gun matching, or is it a century parts build?
The stock has to be a Century replacement (no brass stock disc), but it doesn't have typical black plastic buttplate. It has an original brass one. I took her apart and she's definitely all matching. It also has the proper crest and not the "Saladin" crest.
IMG_2895 by vintage collector, on Flickr
IMG_2896 by vintage collector, on Flickr
IMG_2897 by vintage collector, on Flickr
IMG_2898 by vintage collector, on Flickr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very nice! They have been on my personal list for a while along with a Hakim and the Rasheed.

I haven't been able to pull the trigger on any of them yet. Just a working want list.
I had big wood for a Hakim for years. When I finally got one, it was the seemingly largest rifle I have ever seen. Like you would need to be a giant to hold properly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts