Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a year ago a friend found a Star PS .45 ACP in a tiny pawn shop near me, he paid $350 for it and immediately brought it to me as it would not discharge a cartridge. As suspected the firing pin was broken on what was about a 98% pistol. I had a new firing pin for a Largo and found the pins were the same except for length which had to be fitted to the pistol.
Fast forward to today and friend arrived on door step with the pistol to sell so he could pay for an Colt upper receiver. He had not even fired it with the new pin so I did not know if the pin was the correct length.
Long story but gave him the $350 and immediately test fired one round and a primed dummy behind it to see if the pin on recoil would fire the second round (too long). It did not fire and the fired case had normal cratering so I guess I did ok, since this test was done in a shooting trap I will wait until the snow recedes and put a few more rounds in the mag for testing before I am satisfied the pin length is perfect. The P S ( s is for mag safety installed for import) is a beautifully machined and finished pistol and I had been searching for a nice copy but not the normal $500 plus price that accompanied them. I just happened to have a new diamond checkered walnut set of grips to give it more class than the plastic it came with.
only about 7500 PS pistols were made beginning in 1970 which happened to be the year this one was made, the mag safety was for import ( Garcia Co.) and also to counter new taxes imposed by the Spanish Gov. on existing models...the PS made it a new model and the tax did not apply. The first thing I did was remove that mag safety so the pistol is much more user friendly now.
Sorry I do not know the photo procedure and have no interest to learn.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Star, I did in fact use a new mod A firing pin that i had as a backup and it matched perfectly, the length was my only concern and i think i have that problem solved. I was able to fire two magazines of ammo in a test barrel without a problem and that must surfice until the snow recedes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.