Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the APX scope on my MAS 49/56 and love it, except for the difficulty in getting a cheek weld. Very impressed with the accuracy of this rifle, despite the not so good trigger. I think my accuracy could improve even more if I could get a more stable cheek rest. I'm looking for a cheek rest/piece. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Gold Bullet member+
French Issue APX L806 scope sets SOLD OUT
1,265 Posts
Try a M1 Garand leather cheek piece ....... Google is your friend.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The cheek rest for the FRF1 was modified to fit on the Mas 49 & 49-56 stock, in the mid 1970s it became official and described in the rifle manual, until then we used the scoped rifles without cheek weld, learning to keep the eye centered in the scope was the trickiest part of the sharpshooter training then.

- picture 1 a sharpshooter in 1960 with the scoped 49-56, note the early muzzle brake and regular stock.
- picture 2 the middle rifle has the regular stock with a high cheek rest fitted.
- picture 3 a FSA stock with high cheek rest and finger grooves on the grip.

kelt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cheek rest for the FRF1 was modified to fit on the Mas 49 & 49-56 stock, in the mid 1970s it became official and described in the rifle manual, until then we used the scoped rifles without cheek weld, learning to keep the eye centered in the scope was the trickiest part of the sharpshooter training then.

- picture 1 a sharpshooter in 1960 with the scoped 49-56, note the early muzzle brake and regular stock.
- picture 2 the middle rifle has the regular stock with a high cheek rest fitted.
- picture 3 a FSA stock with high cheek rest and finger grooves on the grip.

kelt
Cool photos. Thanks for the information!

·
Gold Bullet member+
1,265 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,106 Posts
The Garand cheek piece doesn't work that well- it's designed more to offset the weld than raise it. On my 7.5 49/56 I use one of the old fashioned leather lace on cheek rests. Works great with the K-var mount so would expect it to work with the French unit. Of course there are the fabric and foam velcro pads, just hate the look.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got the APX scope on my MAS 49/56 and love it, except for the difficulty in getting a cheek weld. Very impressed with the accuracy of this rifle, despite the not so good trigger. I think my accuracy could improve even more if I could get a more stable cheek rest. I'm looking for a cheek rest/piece. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
I just picked up a S&K scope mount for mine and added a vintage Weaver 3x9. I ordered this inexpensive cheek riser to see how it works. For the money it's definitely worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tacti...l+Buttstock+Cheek+Rest+with+Ammo+Carrier+Case

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I made one for mine but Midway sales one for less than $20. I got my son one for his M1A. I think it would work just fine on the 49-56.

Motor

PS: Clicked on the link in the post before mine. I'm 99% sure that's the one. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cheap and easy to use. I have used this one from Creedmoor Sports on several of my guns. Comes with interchangeable thickness pads to adjust for different comb heights. Would work until you could run down something more esthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member+
1,265 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,106 Posts
Don't know of any repros but McCann Ind. (http://mccannindustries.com/product-line/mounts/mas-1949-56-mount/) makes an aftermarket that works well. I have one and it gets the job done. Original units come up from time to time on Ebay and GunBroker but they are pricey.
Rich McCann passed away in 2010. His widow sold the equipment and designs to another company (don't remenber the name offhand). I contacted them a few years ago and theyhad no plans to produce the MAS mount.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rich McCann passed away in 2010. His widow sold the equipment and designs to another company (don't remenber the name offhand). I contacted them a few years ago and theyhad no plans to produce the MAS mount.
I checked and I bought the mount from the web site in 2012. So its been a few years. The web site is still up and the mount is on the products list there as of yesterday but that doesn't mean they are still available. Looking at the site I see that there is no means of ordering from it, only a contact email address. Could be as you indicate they are no longer in production.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.