Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of a POS-style scoped AK in use by Kurds in Iraq, with the story from AP. His AK appears to have the proper rail for it.
Also, looks like a 40 round mag on the folding stock AK beyond.
I put a similar scope on my Saiga AK, which came with a rail -works fine, but still, only AK 3-4 MOA accuracy, of course.

From AP: "Kurdish peshmerga fighters take their positions behind a wall on the front line with militants from the al-Qaida-inspired Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), in Tuz Khormato, 100 kilometers (62 miles) south of the oil rich province of Kirkuk, northern Iraq, Wednesday, June 25, 2014. A defiant Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki rejected calls Wednesday for an interim "national salvation government" intended to undermine the Sunni insurgency by presenting a unified front among Iraq's three main groups, calling it a "coup against the constitution." (AP Photo - Hussein Malla)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mea Maxima Culpa!

You are right - his seems to have a PSL Dragunov-style buttstock when I look closer and the hand guard is shorter than an AKs, showing more gas tube in front. Not an Al-Kadesih, which has a longer receiver -can't see his mag but the other differences are clear.

The distance from the trigger guard to the mag is what threw me as it is much shorter on a PSL than an SVD, which I have, and matches an ordinary AK's dimension.
I should have looked closer when I blew up the picture but I sure didn't expect a Kurd to have a PSL.

Still, where did the Kurds get one of these? It isn't regular issue to any Middle East army I know of. We were crushing hundreds of real Russian SVDs in Iraq and the Iraqi Al-Kadesih is over there in some quantities, I assume.

Here is a commercial market FPK "paratrooper" sold in the US versus an AK, with a normal PSL underneath and then a Dragunov.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,565 Posts
Its a shame they use it to raise a white flag!

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the Kurds have had to fight everybody. Tough guys with some guts in a brutal world.

Saddam gassed 'em, the Turks shot them on sight, the Islamists want to convert them to their views at gunpoint, the Iranians fear them and Kerry hasn't got a clue how to fit them into Obama's fuzzy world view or who they even are.

They have a Kurdish defense force of real warriors called the "peshmerga" who are pros and their goal is to take back the oil and land they think was stolen from them and establish a Kurdish Republic. Might happen if Iraq breaks into three sections, Balkan style, one Kurd, one Sunni and one Shiite.

These Kurdish soldiers are anything but cowardly, they actually are defending Kirkuk alone since the regulars left.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Stalin's Ghost,

Thank you for that excellent picture comparison! I remember the Dragunov in a complete package (back a number of years) selling $1,000-1,200.

Draybo

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,565 Posts
These Kurdish soldiers are anything but cowardly, they actually are defending Kirkuk alone since the regulars left.
If you like me to be more technical about the situation in Iraq this is not thread or topic for it. You welcome to create your own. OP subject is a Weapon in Iraq fighting. Do you really believe only Kurds are using AK or others scoped rifles. My point exactly-- Like I said not the place for it.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, those were the days.

My Chinese SVD was $5000 with all the goodies and they aren't getting cheaper! Original Russian ones go way over $10,000.

Stalin's Ghost,

Thank you for that excellent picture comparison! I remember the Dragunov in a complete package (back a number of years) selling $1,000-1,200.

Draybo

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If you like me to be more technical about the situation in Iraq this is not thread or topic for it. You welcome to create your own. OP subject is a Weapon in Iraq fighting. Do you really believe only Kurds are using AK or others scoped rifles. My point exactly-- Like I said not the place for it.
????? LOL

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
There's quite a few PSL and other Romanian arms . A lot of the dong style Romanian ak47's. You see a lot of the tabuk DMR with Romanian TIP2 scopes . Saw a clip yesterday of a peshmerga with a lee enfeild . Agree the Kurds are the only group with guts in the bunch . Wonderful turkey and them are now friends .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts