Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a dandy STG-58 FAL built on an Imbel, which I picked up years ago, like a lot, but hate the sights on. I've presently got a Tapco stripper-clip scope base and a cheap reddot atop it, but I've been considering a metric SUIT. Thing is, unlike commoner $250-450 combat optics where there's legions of fanboys proclaiming what's best for their ARs, I don't hear a lot about the SUIT on the FAL. Some people have them, some people don't, and there's never much discussion.

So, if you please, what're your opinions? I hear they're heavy but of good quality, but not enough else about them to know if one is worth putting on my rifle.

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,948 Posts
I had one on an L1A1 and was not happy with it. I've got a buddy that won't go to the range without it. If I were you I'd go to Falfiles and read up. They are excellent scopes for a DMR as they were designed to be. The downside for me was the fact that there is no way to focus the thing. I'm seeing much better now and am considering getting one again myself.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts
FWIW, I have one at home for my enterprise arms L1, and the only complaint I have is that it makes the weapon top heavy. Other than that, it keeps zero okay and the optic is crisp (even with the strange pointer).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Liked my British SUIT so much on my L1A1 that I bought an Israeli SUIT w. a .223 cam for my CAR15. They work well for me. No problems whatsoever. If you do decide to pick one up just be certain that your SUIT has the 7.62 cam on it.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
I'm happy with mine.
The only complaints I've heard are the poor rivets on the t-bar, and fairly short eye relief.
On the plus side they are so short you can still use the carry handle if you want to.:D

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
I bought a complete top cover and STANAG scope setup from the Trader. See picture. There are several sources that have replacement top covers with a Picatinny rail. The Gun Parts Guy has them at the moment, IIRC. When it comes to cleaning, I plan to leave the cover on and do the cleaning with an extra long cleaning rod.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
It's not as bad as it looks, actually. You cannot get a high cheek weld, but I get a really solid chin weld that works well. Without doubt a Picatinny railed top cover would allow a far lower sight line. I find the cheek weld when using the iron sights to be almost too high. Perhaps my face is a funny shape. :)

Maybe because the FAL has a pistol grip it is quite stable in this configuration. I cannot imagine trying to shoot a hunting stocked weapon with a scope this high without a cheek rest. I had to fit one to my No.4 when I fitted a scope on a Cad Techniks mount. It was way too high for the shape of the stock. YMMV.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have one on my mut FAL, and I like it. The thing is is built like a tank, I guess it had to be though if it was on military rifles. The one that I picked up has very good clear optics. It also has had the tritum removed and replaced with an led. I have taken it out in low light and it works well. I picked mine up from what-a-country for $200, and got to pick out what mount I wanted.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Well, mine lasted about 5 rounds on my FAL, i didn't like having to glue my eye to the rubber!
Wasn't to keen on the head positioning when sighting through it either, very uncomfortable for me.
It's sitting in a drawer, maybe i'll give it another try someday.
On the other hand, i have a DSA mount and i didn't like that with a cheap "Tactical" scope on it either!
usrifle

·
Registered
786 Posts
Remember that the Trilux is a "combat" scope, not really a "target" scope. It's meant to help spot badguys at low-light situations. The inverted pin was designed to "uncover" a target when rapid firing rather than covering it up as the rifle moved upwards. They're pretty robust but have fixed optics as a combat scope would normally have. And, there's a special target you can use to site it in on your FAL/L1A1. I'll attach it here.

Having jumped into the L1A1 camp a while back, I've had time to experiment with different configurations. The Trilux does have a rubber eyecup that you're supposed to plug your eyeball into. That produces the proper relief for a proper sight picture. HOWEVER....a lot of guys with FALs or L1A1s have noticed that using a trilux like that can be uncomfortable. The recoil can really slam your noggin.

After a bunch of experimentation, I've discovered that's because many/most of our rifles had aftermarket comps on there instead of the originals. The original flash-hider/comps tamed the rifle enough so that the SUIT didn't try to gouge out your eyeball when you fired. Put on one of the aftermarket muzzle comps and some of them don't do the job and 'felt recoil" can be just too much. One day I had a handful of different comps and as soon as I removed the old original and shot with nothing, I almost got a shiner. Some aftermarket comps did ok. Those were the ones that blasted some of the pressure backwards thus taming some of the felt recoil. The ones that just throw the muzzle blast to the sides does little.

Anyway, I thought I'd share that. In it's original configuration, the FAL an L1A1 work well with the SUIT and it's appropriate for the rifle. Without the proper muzzle comp, however, you may be in for a surprise!

Here's the target I mentioned. It's designed to sight-in at 15 meters for open sites, and Trilux Suit and, as you can see, take into consideration the offset of the SUIT. Also, you print this on an 8.5 x 11 paper so any printer can handle it.

Rome

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
i dont like the reticule - im not at all used to seeing it at the top / coarse im not at all used to driving on the left side of the tarmack eather ,

i dont like the rubber eyepeice , it feels quite uncomfortable to have an optic touch my eye ,

so i went with an aimpoint on mine , i like it just fine , its on an arms mount ,

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
THe STANAG mount shown with the Hensoldt scope in the post above is a TAPCO copy, not an original. The TAPCO is much higher than the military STANAG mounts by about 1/2".
Real MilSpec STANAG/FAL topcovers & mounts are available form Numrich & others. These are steel, not aluminium & work much better than the bolt-on replicas IMHO.
They will not allow the use of iron sights though, which is probably why the TAPCO ones were made much taller.

As for the SUIT mount. Get a real steel topcover & have the tack welds on the cast T-Bar done immediately. Trust me you'll be thanking me later.Avoid the "adaptors" to let you use a rail & a SUIT. There are fitting issues with the adaptor, particularly with Izzy modified SUITs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have one and I really like it. Except I haevn't used it for shooting. One worry I have is that these were reported to not last long due to the aluminum rivets on receiver cover shearing after certain number of rounds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.