Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may recall, I just picked up a Husky model 648. I'd like to mount a period correct scope in a period correct manner. I'm hesitant to drill into the ring because I want to preserve the beautiful Husqvarna crest and "Sweden" script. It would also seem that the stripper clip guide would limit my options. I'm much less reserved in a side mount option. Anybody have any feedback on a great, period correct side mount or a top mount that will not place a screw right in the middle of the crest. I'd love to use this as my elk rifle and the none adjustable rear sight leaves a tad to be desired for an optics nerd/dealer like myself. I think an old Weaver would look great! Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 98 action. This brings up some of my confusion. I'm brand new Husky commercial rifles. A 648 can be a 96 OR 98 action? It would support my confusing online searches, which have been contradictory at times... Beyond buying a whole new rifle, what would be a good side mount to hunt down?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't know of any serviceable side mount that wouldn't be way too costly. I have a rifle very similar to yours, "Arctic Beechwood" stock that may crack from recoil, 8x57 will have some recoil using full power cartridges.

My rifle has the FN commercial 98 action without thumb cut and stripper clip guide, already drilled and tapped for scope mounts or receiver sight, the Belgian made action has a Swedish crest with holes drilled and tapped in it, probably at the factory.
Your receiver must be somewhat earlier, still a Belgian FN commercial 98 even though it has a thumb cut and stripper clip guide. Husqvarna installed a barrel made from very good steel on a Belgian receiver.

The stripper clip guide hump may complicate top mount scope bases, it's a gunsmith proposition even without the hump, a jig for drill and tap is required. Consider what's cost effective, I like the barreled action too, but transformation to a modern scoped rifle is less than practical.
I think your bolt handle is also different, not bent or shaped to accommodate a scope, the safety won't work with a low mounted scope either

Your "Arctic Beechwood" stock looks much better than mine, golden grain and so forth. The stock on my rifle looks like an old pair of dark brown shoes.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,186 Posts
I like Griffen Howell side mounts quick detachable ...
i have on a 3000
you can find them used around $175/225 on Internet ...
then pay to install......

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ran across one of those Midway do it your self videos, this one was about drilling and tapping a Mauser 98 receiver in a relatively inexpensive fashion. The barrel was removed from the action, but if that isn't mandatory, a reasonably competent novice might be able to do the job, if they were really determined.

Personally, if I had a very early Hi-Power with a half commercial-half military action, I wouldn't care if it ever got shot, of course I'm thinking of a rifle in near like new condition.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I ran across one of those Midway do it your self videos, this one was about drilling and tapping a Mauser 98 receiver in a relatively inexpensive fashion. The barrel was removed from the action, but if that isn't mandatory, a reasonably competent novice might be able to do the job, if they were really determined.

Personally, if I had a very early Hi-Power with a half commercial-half military action, I wouldn't care if it ever got shot, of course I'm thinking of a rifle in near like new condition.
As a gunsmith, I owed a great deal of my business to do it yourselfers. I've seen a lot of receivers that have been ruined by folks with a drill press and good intentions.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
As a gunsmith, I owed a great deal of my business to do it yourselfers. I've seen a lot of receivers that have been ruined by folks with a drill press and good intentions.
Do it right or don't do it at all? I'd agree to that.
There is a reason that the commercially common systems are in use - they work and trying to get around it with a kluge does not.
If you won't drill and tap the ring (the clip charger hump on the rear ring is not a problem as they make bases that fit over them - I have installed many) and you don't want to spring for a side mount, the only recourse is one of those horribly ugly stocks with the top cover that holds a long eye relief scope. It is ugly, bunglesome, and can't hold zero as your scope is attached to the stock, not the barrel or action.
There is Bubba's favorite epoxy or, perhaps, duct tape. Just kidding, but the normal bases, side and top, are in use because they work whereas other systems really didn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.