Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out what kind of scope was originally used on a K-98. I have one circa 1941 and would like to have a scope type original to the gun. Can anyone help?

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I know almost exactly nothing about scoped 98's but I can offer that there were multiple scope makers and styles of scopes, such as high and low turret, side rail, zf41 front sight body mounted versions, etc.., so there may not be one "correct" type or maker as more than one could have been used.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Another thing I know is that "real" scopes and mounts are NOT cheap, so crack open the piggy bank before you start to bid...
Also, fakes (or non wartime) scope rigs are sometimes pimped as being real , so do your homework before you buy as it's easy to take a wrong turn.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Scopes for a '41

The scopes used on the earlier rifles were generally civilian scopes pressed into service, other than the ZF-40/41's. The military scopes (ZF-42's) began to appear after 1942. The Zeiss, Ajack, and Hensoldt 4X scopes were commonly used as well as the Kahles and Heliaver brands. Short side rail mounts were used along with the low turret mounts until the LSR and high turret mounts came along in 43 and after. Claw mounts were sometimes used, but they were not standardized. Personally, I favor the Ajack 4X90 and the Zeiss Zielsechs, but that's just me. The ZF-42 scopes had rain shields, low temp grease, 1-8 elev. dials, and sometimes recoil rings. None of the quality scopes are cheap, so figure on paying $500 and up unless you locate a seller who hasn't bothered to price them. All the scopes were steel tubes and 26.5 dia.

·
Registered
644 Posts
1941 K98k Scope

The type of sniper rifle will often determine the type of scope used. In 1941 a K98k was most likely one of the following types of sniper rifles;
first comes to mind the ZF-41, then a Short Side Rail Type 2, then a Low Turret, and finally a High Turret.

Buy Peter R. Senich's book The German Sniper 1914-1945 it will give you great details on all the above mentioned sniper rifle types plus details on many of the scopes that were used. You can then decide which one of the above variants mentioned you wish to duplicate on your 1941 K98k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts