Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Swede (my first rifle, actually). It's a sporterized m/96 1907 that has the rear sight removed, has been d/t for a scope, and has a barrel just over 18 inches. Can someone recommend a scope/scope ring combo for me? Can I do it for around $250? I don't think I'll put a diopter on it because it looks like it would be $125-150 for that, plus a new front sight, and I'd have to pay a gunsmith to drill more holes in the bridge. I may put a new 24inch barrel on it to get a bit more velocity and range out of the 6.5 cartridge, so I do want a scope with decent magnification. It's a bit ugly (the stock has been painted red), was $200 out the door, and this will be a bit of a beater rifle, so I don't need excellent glass on it. Don't worry, when I get a M/38 as issued I'll take good care of her. I ordered bronze wool to polish the bolt.

·
Banned
7,379 Posts
better check to see if that was drilled into the recoil lug first then I would take it to a gunsmith and have him get you a set of bases and rings Leupold scopes are a bit pricy but you only have to buy them once.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,204 Posts
Welcome to the Forum . Sounds like you have a typical M94 sporter from back in the '50's and '60's . This Forum is for Swedish military & FSR related topics . You questions would be better suited on the Swedish Civilian Firearms Forum . They can help you with your questions . I will move the thread for you .

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
SouthernKahrCarrier,

Congrats on your first rifle! I took my first deer with a sporterized Swedish m/94 that my Father made back in the 60's. It's a handy, effective deer hunting rifle.

My recommendation for a low-cost, but very sturdy and good quality set-up is the following:

Weaver, 2-piece top mount scope bases (Rear is #55, Front is #46 for a Swedish Mauser)
Weaver, standard top mount detachable scope rings (You'll need to figure out which height you need, probably medium or low)
Bushnell Sportview 3-9x32 Scope

You should be able to buy all of this for under $100. The Weaver bases and rings are very common and can be found just about anywhere that sells guns. I'm betting that's what bases your receiver is drilled for. Bushnell scopes are a good value for the price, and I've found them to be very bright too. Granted, there's better quality (and more expensive) stuff you can buy, but these should serve you well until you're ready to move up to something nicer. Also, don't go to a gunsmith to install your scope, instead, use the money to buy a good set of gun screwdrivers and do it yourself. It's not hard, and it's fun to work on your own guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swede- Thanks for moving my thread.
one shot 1-nope, not into the lug, but it was a good idea to check.
NW Swede- Thanks for the specific ideas. The sportsview 3-9x32's have been discontinued, but available on ebay (cheap). A 3-9x40 is available, but the x32 may let me use a lower scope ring. I converted a Saiga 12 (standard stock AK based shotgun to pistol grip folder) myself, and did many extras to make it mine. I enjoyed the work, and I enjoyed sighting in the open sights of the gun I converted. I was leaning towards a gunsmith so my scope would be exactly level (for hold-over/under) and bore-sighted since I would be sighting in at $1.00 a shot. You're probably right though, I should install the scope myself. I'll YouTube boresighting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts